Liked: 5

Default Helmet Aero vs No Helmet Aero

What are the gains/losses that come with helmet aero? Is it noticeable?

Classifieds Super License Raceworks's Avatar
    Liked: 215

From a comfort standpoint: very much so, depending on the cockpit configuration & the driver's seating position.

Performance wise not so much, in my experience (unless your head's getting buffeted around so much you have trouble seeing).
    Sam Lockwood
    Raceworks, Inc
    www.lockraceworks.com

Contributing Member
    Liked: 470

When I started racing 5 years ago, I bought a helmet with no aero devices of any kind and in particular, no rear spoiler. Every time I got going fast, it was trying to lift itself off my head.

I added a stick-on spoiler, and the problem was gone.

Liked: 447

I'm no aero engineer, but the losses are negligible especially if you're sitting low in the car. I would imagine a GoPro hanging out in the breeze would cost you much more aero-wise. The gains are to stabilize your head to prevent the buffeting knuckle ball effect. No real advantage to it unless you're experiencing involuntary head movement at speed.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

5. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 3279
    Dave Weitzenhof

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

My first helmet had no aero. It tried lifting off my head at speed. My second helmet was a Bell with great aero... chin spoiler & top spoilers... far more comfortable. No lift. No buffet. Go with a helmet with good aero.
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Thread Information