Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Contributing Member northarrowracing's Avatar
    Liked: 36

Default 1980 Citation-Zink-Z16 FF Kent

Condition - Very Good, Turnkey, Add gas and go. OK everyone says race ready but here goes. Getting out of racing at 69 so everything will go!!!
    I have log books and history on this car going back to 1982 with races from Watkins Glen to Bridgehampton to Sebring and everywhere in between. I purchased this car in 2012. It had been rescued and restored by a fellow in Kansas City with extensive work to the suspension and frame, new fuel cell and fire system. He only ran a couple of events and then I got it. It still needed a lot of little things. I replaced the cracked dry sump tank with a new custom made unit by Steve Lathrop of Citation Cars, converted the ignition to a Petronics which has been trouble free, new electric fuel pump, new Hawk blue pads all the way around (1 race old), new FIA Simpson belts last year, new K & N oil filter system to replace messy canister system. Then 3 years ago we did a complete engine refresh by an expert Formula Ford guy (thanks Eddie P). I have run 11 events since 2012 and 6 since rebuild at Summit Point, VIR, CMP, Road Atlanta and Roebling. This car has never DNF'd and even managed to steal a few podiums which is good considering how slow I am. You will do better. Finished 3rd at VIR last weekend. This little car has a very safe "triple frame design" and has always brought me home on a small budget.

Bring a large pick-up and I will fill it up. Included is a spare nose, a complete nose mold to make more, 4 rain wheels with old rains, new odyssey battery and back up starter battery with battery tender, led rain light, pretty much a complete spare set of rear suspension components for left and right side. Complete new exhaust system$$$. You will even get motor oil, gear oil, paint matched racers tape, matching spray paint, racing fuel jug and tons of little odds and ends and a nice car cover.

This cars camber is already set for the SCCA required radials which have 2 races on them. If you want to run bias or treaded tires only a wrench is required to change it back. No need to replace any suspension components.

New price $12,250.00 , free delivery up to 800 miles. Call Ric 919-698-6675

See extra photos in later post
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by northarrowracing; 05.14.18 at 9:10 AM.

Liked: 896

Sweet!
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Liked: 1403

I have converted several Z16 back to outboard rear suspension. So the rear suspension type should not be an issue.

Most of the Z16 were outboard suspension originally. Many of the cars with inboard rear suspension were converted from outboard.

Liked: 757

Steve, what new parts are required to convert to outboard rear?
    Thanks
    Ben

Classifieds Super License Messenger Racing's Avatar
    Liked: 160

Default Interested

Ditto Ben's question.

What shocks are on the car?

Love the Zink.

JM
    RaceDog
    Messenger Racing
    Muleshoe, Texas USA

Steve will know for sure on the conversion costs but I was told 2-3k . I never followed up because the car runs so good the way it is. Also here in the southeast I wanted to run SCCA regionals and not vintage or club ford. More races and more cars. In the 11 race weekends I picked up 8 podiums, often due to other cars breaking or wrecking. Other areas of the country I am sure are different. By the way this car barely makes min weight of 1110 with my 145 lb body and with the inboard suspension. At VIR last week it weighed 1114 lbs at the end of the event with 1.5 gals of fuel in it.

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1403

The conversion requires a lot of parts. The rear uprights are modified and the out board brakes are retained. Everything from the bell housing back is replaced. There are no modifications to the frame and the suspension pickups on the frame are used as is.

I did a conversion several years ago and it took 60 hours labor plus materials. With current material costs today, it will easily approach $4,000. But that is having me do all the work.

Liked: 115

I need to win a lottery so I can finish all this up after next season in a Zink - my marque of choice since my Z10 days of yore. Nice car - wish it were mine. You might also list in the vintage listings. Most will take a Z16 with inboard rear. Lots of large fields for vintage FF racing these days.

Good luck with the sale on this nice Zink.

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 757

This is one of those cars that pops up for sale once in a while that i hope someone buys before I cant resist, and then when it does sell I'm disappointed I didnt buy it! Especially as its practically local!

Best of luck with the sale.

12. The following 2 users liked this post:

Default It may snow here a little tonight ---- but

Quote Originally Posted by SEComposites View Post
    This is one of those cars that pops up for sale once in a while that i hope someone buys before I cant resist, and then when it does sell I'm disappointed I didnt buy it! Especially as its practically local!

Best of luck with the sale.
    No problem Georgia? I could have it in your garage tomorrow night?

Ric

14. The following members LIKED this post:

Default Thanks David for calling and here are photos of gears etc.

Ten extra gear sets are included with this car in a nice case along with 6 tubs of extras, about 2/3 useful good stuff.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default new exhaust headers

Did I forget to mention ? This car has new exhaust headers and tailpipe just fitted this year. One race on it. Do the math guys, this stuff adds up to some money. Take the wheels, the exhaust, the gear sets, the nose mold ------- Heck the car is almost free.

Ric
    Last edited by northarrowracing; 05.14.18 at 8:58 AM.

Liked: 1115

..and that header is a beautiful thing..
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Liked: 182

.....just the wrong coast

Quote Originally Posted by jrh3 View Post
    .....just the wrong coast
    If distance is honestly an issue for anyone, in my retirement I transport cars for a dealership. I drove a Dodge Charger Hellcat to Chicago a while back in 1 long day, so a road trip is doable. I would be more than happy to meet someone halfway up to say 800 miles?

Classifieds Super License

Default Retirement??

NorthArrow,

Seems to me at 69 you are just entering your prime. Maybe you should consider trying "vintage" racing with VDCA and VRG. We will be at VIR this weekend with (35) FF's. You could run your car as is in the Post Club Ford group. Your SCCA license should be accepted. I think you can even get a one race tire exemption and run the slicks. Going forward you would be required to run treaded tires. If you convert to outboard rear suspension you could run Club Ford.

Good luck with the sale if you decide not to join us. It looks like a very nice car at a fair price.

Cheers, Joe

21. The following 3 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by pooch776 View Post
    NorthArrow,

Seems to me at 69 you are just entering your prime. Maybe you should consider trying "vintage" racing with VDCA and VRG. We will be at VIR this weekend with (35) FF's. You could run your car as is in the Post Club Ford group. Your SCCA license should be accepted. I think you can even get a one race tire exemption and run the slicks. Going forward you would be required to run treaded tires. If you convert to outboard rear suspension you could run Club Ford.

Good luck with the sale if you decide not to join us. It looks like a very nice car at a fair price.

Cheers, Joe
    Joe, Thanks for the invite. I may be up there watching, but my racing is over I'm afraid. For anyone going who is interested, my car and I live just 35 miles south of VIR. This would be a good time to check it out if you were a shopper. Just give me a call.

Thanks,
    Ric 919-698-6675

Default On the subject of partin the car out.

Guys,
    I have been contacted several times by guys wanting to buy all the pieces on this car. Body work, nose mold, the gearbox, the exhaust. I don't want to do this as the car is just too nice in my opinion. It's only been listed a couple of weeks so I appreciate all the offers but I will not be doing that right now. If it doesn't move at some point I may reconsider. Thanks

Ric
    Last edited by northarrowracing; 05.14.18 at 8:59 AM.

24. The following 6 users liked this post:

Liked: 83

Tic, go to registration and tell them you are on Joe Griffin's crew.

Default New price !!!!!

OK GUYS,

After much thought and a lot of talking about it, I am reducing the price on my car to a silly number. $12,900 This is a ready to race Formula Ford, not a box of parts and pieces. If anyone can show me another car that's not in pieces, has just passed tech and not been stored somewhere for 5 years, heck I will buy it. You can run it SCCA tomorrow or spend a few dollars to make the rear outboard and any vintage group will be happy to see you. It would still be the cheapest vintage car around and kick the mess out of a bunch of them. I know the pieces add up to more than that but I don't want to part this nice car out. If you have been sitting on the fence now is the time. If not I am going to make a really nice coffee table out of it or hang it on the wall.

Ric
    919-698-6675

27. The following 4 users liked this post:

Liked: 59

Nice, very nice.

Default Nice Car

Still a nice car now at a better price.

Anybody know how to tell what shocks those are?

Is that an aluminum head or steel?

Good luck with the sale.

JM
    RaceDog
    Messenger Racing
    Muleshoe, Texas USA

The head is steel. No idea on the shocks.

Liked: 45

Default Shocks

I believe all the Z 16's are Bilstein shocks.

Liked: 19

Default Fuel Pump

I have viewed the add several time and just noticed the fuel pump. What make is the pump you have on the car?

Al

Quote Originally Posted by ascamaro View Post
    I have viewed the add several time and just noticed the fuel pump. What make is the pump you have on the car?

Al
    Its one of the Facet cube pumps from Pegasus. It's also new (3 races ago). We had to add a fuel port check valve per the GCR and this was more compact and works well. This car has never had a vapor lock or fuel delivery issue. Thanks for looking.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 26

Geeze Ric, I've been thinking about selling my 68 GT350 to fund trying out vintage racing for a while now. This FF is by far the most tempting I've seen and you are just up the road. Not ready to pull the trigger yet but lots of daydreaming going on at my end!! Good luck selling!
    -Rich

Liked: 0

How many hours on the motor? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by dfish9twenty View Post
    How many hours on the motor? Thanks.
    About 7 hours since the rebuild. Oil pressure is strong.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 269

Here is my take on this car and why it still here.

As it sits it is not considered a club ford and has to race with modern cars. Most people don't consider it competitive enough for that. VRG will allow it to run in its post CF group but people are still reluctant as there are no strong rules in place for that class. The conversion to CF is expensive, $4k on top of purchase price.

You don't seem to know a lot about the car. Brand of shocks is important. Bilsteins are good shocks but many can no longer be rebuilt. Looking at a possible 4 shock purchase with the car. Another $1-2K on top of car price.

Motor rebuild is by an unknown. He may be good but still an unknown.

5 years from now with a good motor and shocks and a strong post club ford field this car will easily fetch $18K. So drive it with the vintage boys, show that it is at least a mid pack car and it will sell.

Robby

[QUOTE=BorkRacing;560270]Here is my take on this car and why it still here.

As it sits it is not considered a club ford and has to race with modern cars. Most people don't consider it competitive enough for that. VRG will allow it to run in its post CF group but people are still reluctant as there are no strong rules in place for that class. The conversion to CF is expensive, $4k on top of purchase price.

You don't seem to know a lot about the car. Brand of shocks is important. Bilsteins are good shocks but many can no longer be rebuilt. Looking at a possible 4 shock purchase with the car. Another $1-2K on top of car price.

Motor rebuild is by an unknown. He may be good but still an unknown.

5 years from now with a good motor and shocks and a strong post club ford field this car will easily fetch $18K. So drive it with the vintage boys, show that it is at least a mid pack car and it will sell.

Robby[/QUOTE

I have run this car for 6 seasons and have had a lot of fun with it. I listed it with the modern Formula Fords, not the vintage for some of the reasons that have been mentioned. I wanted to run SCCA in regional events which I have done at VIR, CMP, Roebling, RA and Summit Point. We have managed 3 firsts, 2 seconds, and 3 third place finishes mainly due to low turnout numbers here and the fact the car has been rock solid to finish every event. Guys I am not a great mechanic and have said so to anyone who asks. I have however paid good people to work on the car. The car was raced by Drake Olson at the runoffs in 82 at Road Atlanta and log books show Sebring, Bridgehampton, Road America, Watkins Glen, Pocono, Lime Rock, Palm Beach, Charlotte, Hallet by him. The engine is listed as built by Ted Wenz. The car sat for many years so its impossible to know if this is that same engine. I don't wish to make a claim that might be false. After the refresh, I was told it had been a very professionally built engine of very good quality but by who we just didn't know. I was told to break it in easy and to run below 6500 and enjoy it and that's what I have done. The switch to radials was done after talking with Steve Lathrop who also made the new dry sump tank. He is the expert. I have been told by 2 qualified experts the shocks are Bilsteins and can be rebuilt, but as they have no markings that we can positively note I refrained from claiming the maker.
    As to driving it for 5 more years, nothing would give me more pleasure. But age and a life altering encounter with the big C has forced me to rearrange priorities. I am selling the car now rather than letting it sit.
    I wish everyone the best of luck and thanks for all the comments.

Ric Cooley

Contributing Member

Just shedding light on why this very nice car has sat here. If I didn't have 2 cars already I would buy it.

Bilsteins may able to be rebuilt. If they are the narrow shaft variety then the answer is no. That being said testing if you ran them and they were fine then they are probably good.

Put this on the vintage forum. 10x as many vintage FF guys as SCCA. Active that is...

Liked: 947

Quote Originally Posted by BorkRacing View Post
    Just shedding light on why this very nice car has sat here. If I didn't have 2 cars already I would buy it.

Bilsteins may able to be rebuilt. If they are the narrow shaft variety then the answer is no. That being said testing if you ran them and they were fine then they are probably good.

Put this on the vintage forum. 10x as many vintage FF guys as SCCA. Active that is...
    Bilstein in Poway rebuilt my "narrow" shaft shocks, replacing them with larger shafts. They worked fine. I think they charge $90 a shock plus parts.

Dan
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

41. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DanW View Post
    Bilstein in Poway rebuilt my "narrow" shaft shocks, replacing them with larger shafts. They worked fine. I think they charge $90 a shock plus parts.

Dan
    Good to know as I was told a couple of weeks ago mine were not rebuildable because of that.

Liked: 83

Default Echo on the Bilstein rebuild

When I contacted them several months ago they said that's the first thing they do on old shocks, replace the shafts and that end piece the shaft move through.

David

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DK540 View Post
    When I contacted them several months ago they said that's the first thing they do on old shocks, replace the shafts and that end piece the shaft move through.

David
    Interesting as one of the top shock shops in the country told me they were not upgradeable.

Interesting as one of the top shock shops in the country told me they were not upgradeable.
    Just one more comment on my car. This entire back and forth about the shocks is a little odd to me. At no point have I said the car needed new shocks or shocks rebuilt. The car has only seen 11 events with me since it was resurrected and brought back to life under the previous owner. Most of those 11 events were 1 day of double regional events and some practice days. There is no reason to believe the car needs shocks new or rebuilt. The car handles great the way it is setup. I have the old shocks and old springs, all of which were replaced at the rebuild in 2010 and 2011 just before I bought the car. Also all the heim joints in the car and I mean all were replaced at that time. Again I have all the old ones. If I had run the car hard at the Majors level as a first tier car maybe some of these items would be due replacement again but as it is everything seems to be in good shape. This is a sturdy little machine, safe and tough. I really do enjoy driving it just the way it is. Anyone is welcome to come see the car in person and make their own judgement. I live 35 miles south of VIR.

Ric

46. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member

Ric
    No insult intended. When asked you didn't know what the shocks were. It was surmised they were Bilstein and now we know they are rebuildable.

It's a great car. I was just pointing out what may be keeping it from selling.

Robby

Ric
    No insult intended. When asked you didn't know what the shocks were. It was surmised they were Bilstein and now we know they are rebuildable.

It's a great car. I was just pointing out what may be keeping it from selling.

Robby
    Understood honestly no problem

Ric

Default Zink

What brand/style are the second set of wheels?
    Photo of dash/cockpit area?
    RaceDog
    Messenger Racing
    Muleshoe, Texas USA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information