Liked: 1

Default Citation Formula Vee Cooling Problems

I am looking at purchasing a Citation formula vee, but I have heard that they are prone to cooling problems. I don't know what type of cooling problems they are (engine or oil). Can they be resolved to make the car a front-runner?

Liked: 301

Quote Originally Posted by MarkieMark View Post
    ...I don't know what type of cooling problems they are (engine or oil)...
    Hmmm...never heard this before...all the Citations I've encountered run a remote oil cooler behind the carburetor / in front of the rear suspension and, in some rare instances, need partial blocking for running too cool.
    Unless a tall driver was sitting too high & blocking the top intake scoop (?)
    Hey, Steve Lathrop, any thoughts on this?
    Glenn

Liked: 247

We've owned 3 Citations and have never had any cooling issues. We used the Brewer or SR bodywork though so it is possible with other variations to have cooling issues. I could see the citation bodywork with the NACA ducts or the over the shoulder scoops to maybe have some issues but cooling is the sum of many things.

They are good cars, easy to set up and fairly forgiving. Great cars for drivers on the heavier or taller side. Chassis are pretty light and they have a lot of room in the driver compartment.

Just about any car can be a front runner with a good engine and a high level of prep work.

Liked: 88

Default Citations

From day one to now the car has been competitive- that has never been an issue. Steve Lathrop did an excellent job, right out of the box.

Cooling also has never been an issue. The Falcon body work (scoops over the shoulders) cools as well any. Some of the NACA duct installations might be marginal on hot days, but that is often a function of the installation.

Great cars, you can’t go wrong with a Citation.

Larry Campbell
    Campbell Motorsport

Liked: 302

Bad information, IMO. My Citation with the NACA ducts never had an issue with cooling. Oil cooler mounted just behind the carb with ducting from the inlet just below the rollbar and I'm tall enough that I blocked it a bit. Never saw oil temps over 210.

Liked: 1397

We have had cooling problems with some of the setups on earlier Citation FVs.

The cooling problems on those cars were solved by removing the oil coolers. The issue was we cooled the heads and the sump to the point we could not get good oil temperatures.

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information