Liked: 5

Default FST at Blackhawk May Majors

FST will be able to run as a regional group at the May 5 & 6 Majors at Blackhawk Farms. Grouping will be with FF, FV, CFF & F500. Come out and play early in the season.

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 388

I really hope this incorrect. Regional only classes have no business at a majors event and this is a very bad precedent to set.

Quote Originally Posted by modctr View Post
    FST will be able to run as a regional group at the May 5 & 6 Majors at Blackhawk Farms. Grouping will be with FF, FV, CFF & F500. Come out and play early in the season.

4. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 151

Default May is set

We like to have one race a month May-October. Too bad we didn't know about this back in December because we are set with a May date right now.
    Thanks--- maybe we can talk next year

Robert

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 5

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Sport Engineering View Post
    I really hope this incorrect. Regional only classes have no business at a majors event and this is a very bad precedent to set.
    Last time I checked the same license (Full Competition) applies to Regional or Majors.
    Last edited by modctr; 03.18.18 at 2:33 PM.

8. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 58

Default Take it elsewhere

Please take regional / major debates somewhere else.

Thanks

10. The following 3 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by modctr View Post
    Last time I checked the same license (Full Competition) applies to Regional or Majors.
    License grade has nothing to do with it.

The majors events are supposed to be for majors classes only. That's the whole point, isn't it? If regional classes are allowed to run at majors events, then what is the point of having majors races? If you feel there should only be one type of race, then work on changing that. Don't mess with those of us running in the majors series. In the past when a region combines a regional with a national/majors they are run as separate groups. I need to review the rule book to see how it's even legal to run a regional only class in the same group at a majors event.

What makes FST and CFF so special that they get to run at a majors event and the rest of the regional classes don't? Where is the line drawn? Do we invite the 30 other regional only classes next year too?

What is even more particularly troubling about this is no where was it even mentioned when the majors schedules were announced that regional classes would be allowed to run at certain events. This is like FV's showing up an running in the F1600 series group. It just doesn't make sense.

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 247

This is a political move, someone in a position of power has a vested interest in FST and CFF. (I'm confused by the CFF move as they could just run in FF as it is, does someone really want a trophy that bad?)

Including both of those classes does nothing but dilute formula alphabet even more. In respect to FV both of those classes have a good potential to ruin the lead packs race. All it takes is one slow to mid pack CFF or FST to ruin the FV race.

It seems the intentions are to increase car counts but this will do the opposite as it pushes people to other majors that are run as they were intended to be run.

Liked: 830

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Sport Engineering View Post
    The precedent has already been set. Majors are now relegated to the EXACT same status ( imagine that) as "Nationals" from years ago.. that led to "Rationals" to boost entry levels. THAT'S where we are these days. Last year's SEDIV July 4th weekend "MAJORS" was equivalent to a "Rational" from several years ago.. except that it was/is accepted as 'turn a wheel and you're in' event towards the Runoffs. National is allowing REGIONS to make these decisions based on THEIR needs for entries.
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

15. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 190

Default Much to do about nothing

Brian, CFF cars can run at Major events any time. They just run in the original class of FF, no biggie. And for the most part, CFF is a dead class even at the "Minor" level.

On FST inclusion, it is highly likely that nobody in the FST world knew a thing about this. No black helicopters in flight (Person(s) in a position of power). Any previous attempts (years ago) have been shut down rather quickly and for the most part, nobody is bothering to try anymore. I think this is purely being done by the host region (with I'm assuming Topeka approval) in attempt to increase entries.

Also on the FST side, this is likely a nothing deal. Because is was a last minute inclusion, very high likelihood that no FST's will enter/attend. As Robert Guhde posted earlier, most of the FST's follow the series and that series schedule was set back in December.
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

17. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 58

Default No interest

For the Hoosier FST series the Majors offer little more than increased entry fees and closer proximity to political BS. Not much of an enticement. We’ve got a great season planned out. Can’t wait to get to it.

Doug FST 5

19. The following 2 users liked this post:

dc, SamF

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Davis View Post
    The precedent has already been set. Majors are now relegated to the EXACT same status ( imagine that) as "Nationals" from years ago.. that led to "Rationals" to boost entry levels. THAT'S where we are these days. Last year's SEDIV July 4th weekend "MAJORS" was equivalent to a "Rational" from several years ago.. except that it was/is accepted as 'turn a wheel and you're in' event towards the Runoffs. National is allowing REGIONS to make these decisions based on THEIR needs for entries.
    Steve, All of the "rationals" I ever ran had two separate sanctioning numbers for the regional and the national. They would occasionally combine the regional classes for a practice session, but after that the regional only classes had their own race. Never before have I seen regional only classes in the same run group and race as a national/major. I guess this is a sad state of the times. I cringe at where this is heading.

Bill -

As much as I think this is a terrible idea, I don't expect a large turn out for this event. What I'm worried about is this becoming the new norm. It's not a vendetta against FST. I'd be just as unhappy if they invited all the IT classes and ran them with the production cars. This one just obviously effects me more, so I'm speaking up about it. I'm a firm believer that clustering so many classes into run groups is the down fall of club racing. The majors tour was supposed to be the path forward to ease the congestion and reduce classes at the mots important events. It saddens me that it has come to this.

Liked: 50

Quote Originally Posted by B Farnham View Post
    This is a political move, someone in a position of power has a vested interest in FST and CFF. (I'm confused by the CFF move as they could just run in FF as it is, does someone really want a trophy that bad?)
    Sorry, This event is not even on our (FST) schedule. No conspiracy here. No tarmac secret meetings. I doubt you will even see an FST there. Maybe next year. (When the overall car turnout will probably be even less.)
    Jim
    859-252-2349 or
    859-339-7425
    http://www.sracing.com

Liked: 202

I started on a long explanation even though I'm no longer involved in any of this stuff, but instead here's the short answer:

If you don't like this then take it up with your area director. If they're smart (which some of them are) the first thing s/he will likely ask is if you're ready for $800 entry fees.
    Butch Kummer
    2006, 2007, 2010 SARRC GTA Champion

Liked: 52

Default GCR changed

The Feb 2017 GCR included in 3.1.1.A.1:
    "There may be a non-Runoffs eligible component of an event.Non-Runoffs eligible classes must run in their own group(s) and may not be combined in Runoffs eligible class groupings.

"I think this is what most of us know/remember from prior Nationals or Majors - regional classes, IT or Vintage or whatever, sometimes were invited but ran their own groups.

The Jan 2018 GCR does not include the second sentence. I don't know when it changed, or why, or whether any member input was requested or received.

Liked: 202

And 3.1.1.A.1 from the March 2018 GCR:

= = = = =

1. Conference Events

Points earned in Conference races in Runoffs-eligible classes will count toward Conference Championships
    (see 3.7.2), and qualification for the National Championship Runoffs (see 3.7.4). They
    may also count toward Divisional Championships (see 3.7.1).

There may be a non-Runoffs eligible component of an event.

Competitors will find information on the classes eligible and the structure for each event on the
    SCCA website and in the Supplemental Regulations.

= = = = = =

I repeat, if you want Runoffs-only classes at a "minor" Majors (i.e. - something other than a Hoosier Super Tour, which the BFR event certainly is along with Gingerman, the Cat, and Grattan), are you ready for $800+ entry fees?

On Edit - the Jan 2018 wording is the same as Mar 2018. I didn't go back to see when it was changed, but I first learned of it in Jul 2017 when I still was a member (rather than a customer) of SCCA.
    Last edited by GT1Vette; 03.22.18 at 3:48 PM. Reason: Further research...
    Butch Kummer
    2006, 2007, 2010 SARRC GTA Champion

Thread Information