Thread: Wheel project

Liked: 9

Default Wheel project

Several yrs ago I bought a FF panasport wheel from someone on this forum. I finally tried it today (w/ a rain tire on it) and it didn't fit. Turns out it has 4 in on center lug bolt holes(instead of the 3.775 of my other wheels). Upon closer inspection, I found that the lug bolts go through steel inserts which I was able to knock out w/ a brass drift. Since they are steel, I can weld on them and put them back in the rim and bore them at the right spacing on my mill. Of course, it is not nearly that simple, hence, the "project" part of the title.
    Mark
    1990 Van Diemen, the Racing Machine, CM AutoX, 2016 Frontier
    You can try to make a street car into an autocrosser or you can do a lot less work and make a race car into a great autocrosser

Fallen Friend
    Liked: 168

Default Why?

sounds like a ton of work..... why not just find the right rim, and sell/swap the old one to a Sprite/Midget racer? Hap Waldrop (ACME Machine in SC, reps decent aftermarket "clone" rims....)

If bent on "project" trying to move holes, would suggest just getting new/fresh material for inserts, and built out from there. Think you'd be much happier with results...no welding, no inclusions/defects risked, welding up hole in old inserts will shrink the od, lose the press fit in rim. However, make sure you have enough material left to move that 1/8" in radial direction without too much "thinning" of insert on one side......might have to overbore holes in rim...also, consider a flange on new insert.

Historic comments, FWIW....

On vintage cars need tons of neg. offset to keep rims inside bodywork... would take FWD rims (Mazda, MR2, even early VW ...4 on 100mm BC), leave the inserts, move the holes/bores over slightly to get 4" bc. needed on the Brit stuff...Midgets/Courier... Total of 1.7mm offset needed >> cleaned up id to use Minilite "barrel" lugnuts on 4"...and tapered nuts on the 100 mm circle (to use on both cars..... Sounds like yours needs too much for that trick, inserts aren't that thick........ Also, Older "real" minilites were often dual drilled...4 on 4 for Spridgets, 4 on 3 3/4 (3.750) for Spits...those rims had enough meat in center to allow that... later stuff hasn't...

Don't make it harder than needed...?

Bob L.

I need a couple more rims so thanks for that. I will ck to see if there will be enough metal to move the holes. Thanks again.
    Mark
    You can try to make a street car into an autocrosser or you can do a lot less work and make a race car into a great autocrosser

I got the inserts welded and back in the rim. Tomorrow to the tire guy for removal. I may need this wheel to work with the rain back on for this coming wkend.
    Mark

Got inserts drilled and good fit on lug studs. Then found that rim hits caliper inside and outside edges. This rim did not have the same machining as the other ones. I was able to mount it on my mill turntable. Lots of fun. Magnesium mills like plastic. Waiting for a 45 degree mill bit to make the taper for the nuts.
    Mark

Lug nuts are 56 degree. I am waiting for my neighbor to grind my 45 degree cutter into 56. He did a great job making 60 degree lug nuts into 56's.
    Mark

Thread Information