Thread: Racing battery

Contributing Member
    Liked: 81

Default Racing battery

I'm considering buying a Varley battery for a Mallock as it has a welded in battery tray and hold down that is sized exactly for one.
    Does anyone have an opinion about the Varleys?
    Being as expensive as they are I'd want to make sure they are in fact worth it.
    I've had reasonably good luck with the small lawn and garden batteries in the past. They're available with 425CA and 340CCA. It would necessitate fabricating a new tray and hold down but it might be worth it if I get three years out of each battery for the roughly $50 they cost.

Chris

Liked: 29

Default Varley

I have had the same Red Top for four years. No problems.

Liked: 238

I had one on my Citation for about 5 or 6 years with zero problems. Didn't buy another one simply due to cost.
    Jim

I wish I understood everything I know.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 27

Default Try an Odyssey ?

Many racers have sung the praises of Odyssey batteries, most use their PC680. Take a look at the PC series, one may just fit your Varley battery tray.

batterymart.com has great prices.

- Gerhard

Contributing Member hdsporty1988's Avatar
    Liked: 193

Default Oddyssey PC680

Quote Originally Posted by gerhard_k View Post
    Many racers have sung the praises of Odyssey batteries, most use their PC680. Take a look at the PC series, one may just fit your Varley battery tray.

batterymart.com has great prices.

- Gerhard
    If you want to try an Odyssey PC680, I have one that I bought a year ago as a backup battery for my former car that doesn't fit my new car. It has not been used. I would let you have it for $50 plus the ride. Bruce

Liked: 59

I used to buy Odyssey PC680s for my FEs - it didn't take a LOT of mods to the tray to fit. They were about 100 bucks compared to the $280 for a Varley Red Top 15 from Pegasus, so it seemed like the thing to do.

That said, I've used only Varley for the past 6 or 8 years. Their reliability and durability is truly worth the price in my opinion. And I recently ordered a couple off of eBay. They end up coming from Demon Tweeks even though that's not who is shown as the seller. You can get them here for about $175 + $67 to ship....$245.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Varley-Red-....c100675.m4236

They've raised their price 25GBP (About 35USD)per battery! I ordered two last month to amortize shipping cost, and they ended up totaling 190USD each...go figure.

Best regards,
    Eric
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.
    - Ted Williams

Thread Information