Liked: 23

Default Wheel drive dowels ?

Gday guys, as I research my upright, and brake / spindle design I came across this photo of the Ludemann build. As I look at his assembly I have to assume that the wheels inner boss face seats on just the four faces of the actual drive lugs. This doesn't seem right?

Liked: 1397

I think you will need to see the wheel before you can evaluate what he has done with this setup.

I question how much support the wheel gets from the vertical matting surface between the wheel and the hub.

Well for sure the wheel where it mates would have a flat face. Thats fairly typical.

But as its pictured the wheels that I have would slide onto the 4 drive lugs no problem but when the center lock wheel nut is tightened would see the mating face just seating on the hexes of the 4 lugs. This doesn't seem right. You'd want a full face for the wheel to come up against, right?

I'm tipping this is not his final arrangement.

Cheers.

Liked: 1397

I have never seen anything like that. And I am not certain how it works.

And I am old enough to remember how we put wheels on race cars with a hammer. And I have done.

Liked: 1868

More than likely, the OD of the wheel center face is just slightly smaller than the IDs of the rotor drive bolts. Most hubs are somewhere around 4.5" in diameter, and rotor drive bolts in the 5.5" area.

He could also have scalloped the OD of the wheel center face to clear the rotor bolts.

Liked: 182

Default Wheel

Possibly a flat plate spacer with holes over the nuts. Wheels with center bore the same as hub.
    similar idea to older 6 pin adapters on splined axles that oval track midgets used before going to splined wheel centers.

Yeah I agree there must be some form of spacer the slides over the drive dowels and is just thick enough to imbed the hex sextion
    of the drive dowels the wheel rim face would then be able to make full face contact with the drive face and dowels.

Quote Originally Posted by jrh3 View Post
    Possibly a flat plate spacer with holes over the nuts. Wheels with center bore the same as hub.
    similar idea to older 6 pin adapters on splined axles that oval track midgets used before going to splined wheel centers.

Liked: 36

Default Re: Wheel Drive Dowel Spacer

As a couple of the posters have guessed, there is a laser-cut flat aluminum spacer between the wheel hub and the wheel mounting face, with holes just big enough to clear the hex circles on the drive pins. Sorry I can't upload a drawing as my space on ApexSpeed is used up.

-JJ

Liked: 159

Default wheel nut/wheel interface

Great work JJ....been following your work from the beginning. .

One question......is the wheel nut and wheel tapered where they interface? With large diameter hollow stub axles, that is the usual way it is done (to center the wheel and transfer load into the wheel}. I cant tell in the picture.

Jerry Hodges
    JDR Race Cars

Liked: 36

Yes, the mating face of the wheel nut is a flattened conical shape specifically to mate with the chamfer on the wheel and center the wheel on the axle. We did have a problem with the wheel nuts losing torque and flipped them so that the flat face of the wheel nut mates with the outside flat face of the wheel, and this solved the torque problem. The wheels remained centered anyway.

-JJ

Quote Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
    Great work JJ....been following your work from the beginning. .

One question......is the wheel nut and wheel tapered where they interface? With large diameter hollow stub axles, that is the usual way it is done (to center the wheel and transfer load into the wheel}. I cant tell in the picture.

Jerry Hodges
    JDR Race Cars

Thread Information