Liked: 5

Default Engine reliability

Spoke with a engine builder about making the engine "reliable" and it sounded like some internal modifications, more than just changing out rod bolts, are required. I was under the impression any "massaging" of parts was prohibited.

Will

Liked: 91

Will,

From personal experience the GSXR600 engines are extremely reliable in stock form as long as you can follow these easy recommendations:

Preface: Get a data system that can record all the following parameters and alert you if they fall outside of acceptable limits.

1. Water temps must stay below 215 degrees for longevity. If you overheat an engine, they usually need at least a new head gasket. In my personal car the water temps never go above 185 degrees. Get a water pressure sensor installed as well with a light on your dash, this can alert you early if the cooling system develops a leak.

2. These engines are cooled just as much by the oil as the water. Depending on which type of oil you are using you should shoot for 225-250 degrees for oil temp. Cooler oil temps rob power and higher oil temps can make the main bearings go boom.

3. Oil pressure must be maintained. Even under hard braking and cornering your oil pressure should stay above 15psi minimum. Buy a proven oil pan and pickup for these cars, a mini sprint pan will not work. No oil pressure is bad at 14k rpm.

4. The stock rev limit on a 06/07 engine is 15,500 RPM. Try not to hit the rev limiter. This is actually quite simple as the motors make peak power at around 13,500 and you can feel the power get soft anywhere above 14K
    Last edited by TDI PILOT; 01.30.18 at 3:54 PM.

Liked: 72

I can give you my experience. In the past three years I haven't experienced engine reliability issues. The only thing that's done to my motor is the rod bolts. Other than that it's 100% stock. There's nothing else that can be done without being illegal. At the Runoffs my motor was torn down so far we had to put it in several boxes. With that said it's pretty obvious that it was inspected through and through. Calvin ran his motor for three years before experiencing a problem . I still don't know what his issue was so I can't speak for the magnitude of the problem that came along with the failure. In the early days we experienced issues from oil starvation but that was due to listening to mini sprint guys. We started developing our own solutions and resolved the oiling issues. Now days we just worry more about when we can jump in the simulator and what's for lunch. We also try not to miss a opportunity to go find Jeremy and mess with him for a little bit.

Liked: 57

I agree with what TDI said. (I try not to agree too much with Clint in public, 'cause it's bad for my reputation! )

eBay-stock is fine for a long time.
    Rod bolts are a good/legal upgrade.
    Oil pan from Moon or Novak is a MUST.
    Good oil cooler(s) is/are a MUST.

Have fun!
    George Bugg
    -----------------------------
    NovaKar
    F600

Liked: 13

Default EBay engines

The engines per the rules are to remain stock but can be rebuilt. I tried eBay engines and 2 of the 3 were lacking power so I ended up getting them rebuilt anyways. I would do it right away and save the hassle of getting to the track only to find out you're down on power. All of the top guys in the class 2 and 4 stroke have engines that are built by a builder. Some guys seem to have better eBay luck. It's like everything else and luck sometimes is on your side and not other days. I had 3 engines let go this year one was an oiling problem one was a chain punching a hole on the block and the 3rd at Indy was just bad luck. The year and half before that, my engine was built then ran like a champ the whole time.

Liked: 553

Quote Originally Posted by bluterek155 View Post
    <snip> ... save the hassle of getting to the track only to find out you're down on power. <snip>
    Or take it to a chassis dyno. We're fortunate to have one nearby, and we almost always go there after an engine installation to make sure everything's working. I agree it's a huge disappointment to get to the race track and then discover a problem.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 896

Quote Originally Posted by clint View Post
    I can give you my experience. In the past three years I haven't experienced engine reliability issues. The only thing that's done to my motor is the rod bolts. Other than that it's 100% stock. There's nothing else that can be done without being illegal. At the Runoffs my motor was torn down so far we had to put it in several boxes. With that said it's pretty obvious that it was inspected through and through. Calvin ran his motor for three years before experiencing a problem . I still don't know what his issue was so I can't speak for the magnitude of the problem that came along with the failure. In the early days we experienced issues from oil starvation but that was due to listening to mini sprint guys. We started developing our own solutions and resolved the oiling issues. Now days we just worry more about when we can jump in the simulator and what's for lunch. We also try not to miss a opportunity to go find Jeremy and mess with him for a little bit.

cal did have a failure on his 4th season with the same engine. However what happened was tha he had a chain failure ant the broken chain cut the case.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Thread Information