Liked: 8

Default Change Proposals for GCR

I was looking at the GCR (the new January 2018 edition) and noticed several glaring typos/editing errors that have crept in over time... I also want to propose a couple of changes to fix things that I think have been wrong for a long time.
    Does anyone disagree with the following changes?
    I attached a pdf of the following also (it is formatted better)

GCR January 2018 Formula 500 Change Proposals

1. Fix Typos

Fix references

The F500 annex is 9.1.1.D, but all references in the section say 9.1.1.E. Replace all references that say 9.1.1.E with 9.1.1.D (or make relative references like F500.#).

GCR-260

Add the same Y-Pipe text in the “Outlet Restriction” column for the Rotax 494 Non-RAVE row (copy it from the RAVE row).
    Remove all references to note 5, since there is no note 5 on the following page (and hasn’t been since the table was created?).

GCR-261

Modify note 4 “Competitors must be able to supply a printed factory service manual (either printed or electronically on an e-reader device), for the year of engine being used, to tech upon request.”

2. Fix Definition of “Restricted”

A restricted class is open except where explicitly stated otherwise. If the rules specify all things that are allowed, and it is understood that anything not specified is not allowed, that’s a spec class.

GCR-254

Change the 2nd chapter to:
    Formula 500 is a restricted class. Modifications (changes or additions/subtractions) are allowed, unless specifically prohibited. However, if modifications are made, homologation may be required. Refer to section 9.2.2. for details.

3. Allow for repairs on engines and don’t over specify what is “stock components”

GCR-257

Update paragraph at end of “14. Snowmobile Derived Engines” to allow for repairs and remove explicit mention of components like water outlet elbows and ignition harness.
    Engines must be assembled in stock configuration and no component of approved engines may be altered, modified, or changed, nor be of any other than original equipment manufacture unless specifically authorized. Engine components shall be assembled in stock configuration. Stock configuration is defined as including: water outlet elbow, ignition harness, etc. Repairs that do not impact performance are allowed (such as the use of thread inserts (e.g. Helicoil) for the engine mount bolts or starter mount bolts), as long as they are necessary for the operation of the engine and put the engine back to (as close as is feasible) a stock configuration.

5. Allow parts that have been rendered meaningless to be removed

GCR-261

Modify note 1 “Either upper or lower cylinder head water outlet may be blocked (or replaced with a blocking plate) in any safe manner to facilitate use of a single water outlet.”

6. Seats

Allow F500 cars to have seats other than the “one-piece bucket type seat” required by “9.3.40. SEATS”
    9.1.1.D.? SEATS
    One-piece bucket type seats (specified in 9.3.40) are not required, but if the seat is formed by the chassis or other components of the car (such as sheet metal covering the fuel cell, fire walls, etc.), the driver must be supported similarly to a one-piece bucket type seat (i.e. bottom, back, and sides). A head rest is still required (see the head rest requirements in 9.3.40).

7. Expand legal motorcycle engines where they haven’t changed

GCR-260

Update the Honda CBR600RR entry to allow for years 2003-2016. Honda did not make any upgrades to the engine between 2013 and 2016 (ref https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_CBR600RR), so there is no reason to exclude 2014-2016 engines.
    Update the Suzuki GSXR-600 entry to allow for years 2003-2014. Suzuki did not make any upgrades to the engine between 2013 and 2014 (ref https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_GSX-R600), so there is no reason to exclude the 2014 engine.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Liked: 896

Thanks a ton Tim, please use the letters to the GCR system to make certain that the system is aware of these errors.

Typically these types of changes are the result of someone trying to correct previous errors. Your letter will definately help expedite things.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Liked: 307

And in true SCCA Bureaucratic tradition - correcting errors will undoubtedly introduce more errors.

Quote Originally Posted by mmi16 View Post
    And in true SCCA Bureaucratic tradition - correcting errors will undoubtedly introduce more errors.
    The reason I posted here was so people could review the cps and check for errors

anything is possible. Volunteer to help. We can use your help.

There are 2 volunteers on the FSRAC with lot of F500 experience. I am one of them but I do not vote on F500 issues or rewrites as it might be interpreted as a conflict interest as i have been a car builder. However, I do make my thoughts and comments known. The other member knows more than i do about the rules and i totally trust his judgment.

BTW have you actually seen how big the printed version of the GCR is today?
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Liked: 307

Quote Originally Posted by Jnovak View Post

BTW have you actually seen how big the printed version of the GCR is today?
    Too damn big.

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Too damn big.
    totally agree. Just saw it at the runoffs and it looked like a telephone book.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047

Liked: 1879

If the club would ever get smart and just say "Here's the rules for your class. If you can't build a competitive car out of XYZ brand to those specifications, that's your problem, and not the problem of the Club to handicap everyone else to make you competitive".

That would decrease the CRB's work by about 90%, as well as the thickness of the GCR.

Liked: 227

I disagree with #3 and #5 as they relate to the water outlets. Since the "stock configuration" is 2 water outlets and a thermostat, removing that specific exemption from stock would make most cars in the class illegal. We all went through this many years ago and some people were DQ'd at the Runoffs for not having thermostats. This is one example where adding additional rules (exemptions) was good.

Cory

11. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by cory mcleod View Post
    I disagree with #3 and #5 as they relate to the water outlets. Since the "stock configuration" is 2 water outlets and a thermostat, removing that specific exemption from stock would make most cars in the class illegal. We all went through this many years ago and some people were DQ'd at the Runoffs for not having thermostats. This is one example where adding additional rules (exemptions) was good.

Cory
    cory is correct.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047

Liked: 0

Sorry for disagreeing, but based on the GCR, there is no exemption and Tim's proposed changes would actually add the exemption, to whit

14. Snowmobile Derived Engines
    No component of approved engines may be altered, modified, or changed, nor be of any other than original equipment manufacture unless specifically authorized. Engine components shall be assembled in stock configuration. Stock configuration is defined as including: water outlet elbow, ignition harness, etc.

G. Rotax 494, 493, and 593 engines: Any Rotax 494, 493, or 593, respectively, model thermostat housing or water outlet elbow may be used. The water bypass may be blocked. Either upper or lower cylinder head water outlet may be blocked in any safe manner to facilitate use of a single water outlet. <<<Note-This paragraph does not say you can eliminate the blocked outlet elbow>>>>

Note 1.
    Any model thermostat housing or water outlet elbow may be used. The water bypass may be blocked. Either upper or lower cylinder head water outlet may be blocked in any safe manner to facilitate use of a single water outlet. <<<<Again, this does not say you can delete the unused elbow>>>>

Therefore, there is no exemption as currently written in the GCRto allow one to remove the unused elbow.Additionally, given the "Engine components shall be assembled in stock configuration. Stock configuration is defined as including: water outlet elbow, ignition harness, etc." statement, everyone with a modified wiring harness is illegal too (i.e. you use a custom made wire for ground/ignition key/power). I don't even want to open discussion on how the "etc." components would be scrutineered.

Liked: 0

I apologize for killing the discussion. It was not my intent. I only wanted to point out that the rule is what what is written, not what we all think.

I think Tim's proposed changes codifies what we all think the rule should say, along with fixing errors.

As far as the stock configuration and water outlet elbows changes...

I think the current rules say that both cylinder head water outlet elbows must be on the engine, but either water outlet can be blocked.
    I have always thought that it was dumb that the outlet elbow was still required even if the outlet was blocked.
    I wanted to change the rules (my understanding of them), to allow the removal of an elbow if it was blocked (similarly to how you can now remove the thermostat).
    Do people think the current rules allow the elbow to be removed? If not, should they?

Thread Information