Liked: 2

Default Hewland Mk9 reverse “spud”

Rehabbing a Mk9, and the case was not fitted with reverse from new. I have a reverse spud but I don’t think it’s for this gearbox as the locating hole on the spud doesn’t seem to be in the right spot. So I have a few questions before I try to install this one, or shell out for new only to find its same as what I have.

1) can someone take a photo or share some dimensions for a mk9 spud so I can assess whether this is the correct one is for this box? Specifically OD of the body that fits in the case, overall length, and most importantly the location of the cross/locating hole on the body?

2) There is a threaded hole in the case which is where the retaining screw should go, and I think it’s just been fitted with a plug screw from the mfr. to close up the hole. Wanted to confirm that this hole needs to be drilled out to pass the retaining screw when witted with reverse spud? Sealing washer or no?

3) Confirming this is a heat fit to install, and any other general advise on fitting the spud to the case as far as dos and donts?

thx!
    chris

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

are you referring to the thingie that the reverse idler runs on?

Liked: 35

Chris.
    The spud is most likely the reverse idler spigot you are talking about . The spigot new is a solid shank.Once it is installed in the case . And the back lash is set for the rev driver on the layshaft , It will will be drilled for the grub screw that will go in through the side of the case. We always drill and tap this for a much larger cap head screw to eliminate the possibility of the idler rotating in the case if it is slammed into reverse . The OD of the spigot that goes into the case is 1.100 .And the height is 1.250
    It is a heat installed part . You must work very quick to set the backlash for the rev driver and idler .
    Please feel free to call me , I will be more than happy to help out on the install .And I have plenty of new spigots if you choose to pu a new one in .
    Scotty
    Est. 1990
    Taylor Race Engineering

Thread Information