Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked: 49

Default Stohr F1000 - rebuild pics

Hello all, as we’re waiting for the new year to kick in, wanted to share my project I’ve been working on for the past year. Around August 2016, I picked up Bill Wald’s # 03 car from Florida. A relatively stock 2007 Stohr with GEN2 body-work and a William’s diff.

Here’s the car as it stands at time of sale:

Car was in Florida, I’m in Northern CA – almost as far as we can get! After a few snags with shipping companies, Bill pointed me to Athena who was easy to work with and prompt. My initial contacts with BATS failed. Kept getting the run-around for about 2 months with promises to pick-up the car but to no avail. Anyway, the car is ready and loading up. Note, spare engine in the crate

Here we go!

In the meantime, I scored on a 20’ Pace Shadow GT trailer in Arizona. I've always had my eye on a Shadow GT and see them creep up every now and then. I was lucky enough to stumble on it late night browsing craigslist. Called the guy on a Friday night and told him I'll hit the road in the morning. Road trip here I come!

I got on the road at 4AM Friday morning and returned back home at 3AM the next day. Did the round-trip from San Jose to Phoenix and back all in one day with the only stops for gas and food. What an adventure, not sure I can do that again! Did I say it was 1400 mile round trip? Gas mileage on Tacoma wasn't all that great. I was getting maybe 10-11 mpg driving 70ish on the freeway - and this was with an empty trailer! I could almost see my gas gauge go down in realtime.

Some time later, I get a call from the Transport company telling me he's close by. He unloads the car and all spare parts. Everything made it self from Florida. Whohoo

This was my first FB car and didn’t know what to expect. I immediately started taking off the body work to get a closer look at everything.

The car is very easy to work with and almost a pleasure to tinker with. There was a GoPro camera mount I wanted to remove over on the driver’s left which began this whole project (seriously!). Anyone who has taken off a gopro mount before knows once they stick, they’re almost impossible to remove. Well…I got the mount off and along with it some paint was lifted.
    I’m a OCD kinda guy. Everything has to be perfect, even for a race car. So it begins…

Picked up a short quart of single stage paint and liked the results. This was my first time spraying on anything but from a rattle can. Found a good deal on a spray gun from Amazon and off I went. The beauty of single stage is that it has clear-coat mixed in. You spray it once and you're done. I sanded the existing body work, filled anything that needed filled and went at it.

I decided to spray in my garage with all doors closed. It was winter time and raining here in San Jose, so spraying outside was not an option (not that I would do that ) After spraying the first panel, I quickly realized how fine the paint atomizes and gets on EVERYTHING!! With more body parts left to go, picked up a roll of plastic and tried to cover everything up. Although it helped, I was unfortunaltey too late. The garage and everything in it had a fine layer of orange.

For my first paint job, I think it came out pretty good. All the decals were cut by me. My girlfriend has a Cricut machine, which is a scrapbooking printer. It's esentially a printer with an exacto blade (to me, I used it as a vinyl cutter). Simply download the fonts you want/need, sketch it up and cut away. I bought a couple foot rolls of black and white vinyl with many feet to spare.

I had the car covered up with black cloth, but the paint found itself and got essentially everywhere.

I got in touch with Jesse @ BRD to get some new floors and diffuser. The floors which came with the car had an inner wood structure which apparently was tailored for a 150lb driver to meet the 1000 lb min requirement. Given the unneeded ballast and now orange covered floors, I decided to get a new set. Took some measurements of the rod pickup hard points for Jesse and waited for parts to arrive.

More orange…

My next step was to clean up the control arms. They were all rusted in some spots and needed a refresher. I removed them, stripped the powercoat (and burnt my arms/eyes with the solvents in the process) and sprayed them with a stainless steel spray from Seymour Paint (p/n 620-1460). This paint was pretty cool, it had actual pigment flakes of SS within it. You could see the little pieces flying off the tip as you sprayed. The paint was even and covered very well.

I picked up a oil new catch can to pipe in from the breather tube and messed around with mounting a bit. The location between the spar and motor seems to fit fine.

For the front arm, I got lazy and just painted over the existing paint (my OCD later removed all the arms, stripped them down to bare metal and repainted)

Chain replacement was due, so got to disassembling the rear spar and got familiar with the assemblies.

Took a peak at the underside and noted the floor had seem some off-road fun. I'll add this on my replace list.

At this point, I became interested in the frame mods Jake had done to reinforce everything. He had added additional bars throughout the car to increase ridgitidy. I spoke with Jesse and a few other shops to see where they found the Stohr to be weak. With all the body-work off the car, I thought why not - this was a perfect time to get this out of the way. I got a hold of Stan Clayton from Dauntless Racing and provided some pictures and info on what I wanted to do. I was truly lucky to have Stan and the crew close-by (within half-hour from home) to help me with the framework. With Stan/Dauntless staged to work on the frame, I went ahead and proceeded taking apart the car.

I took as much pictures as I could and removed the wiring first. Some of the wiring was kinda crispy and seen some age. I add this on my list to cleanup.

To remove the engine, I initially tried to use some ratcheting tie-down to lift the motor up from a roof hoist. My tie-downs ended up being too long and didnt lift the motor high enough. I found a cool (1 ton?) chain hoist from Harbor Freight for something like $25. Best money spent!

Motor & spar removed from frame

Note the fuel line routing before removal. These lines are kinda dried up and will add those on the to-do list. Regulator in the back and filter will go as well.

Some interior stuff

Almost there, a few cables to remove

All done, ready for Stan and team to do his magic

I had ordered some BRD 1:1 bellcranks and they came in with needle bearings ready to go.

Upon inspection of the frame in daylight, we found many cracks. Particularly all frame members behind the bulkhead had cracks, including motor mount areas. The rear bulkhead was of the older design as well, where the motor mounts consisted of a thin gauge metal. I forgot to mention, the frame was dropped off at the shop and met some new faces, Kevin Mitz, John and Billy. Awesome guys and very helpful. With the back half of the frame chopped off, it’s ready for sandblast.

New bars and rebuild in the jig. The team incorporated the latest motor mount design in the rear. Notice the flat beefy bars. These will not crack!

Dropped off the spar to get it fitted to my setup just to make sure. Frame is ready for Kevin to weld.

More added bars by steering. These do not interfere with my hands or the wheel. I did however have to make new switch panels which mounted in that area.

Check out the frame bottom X braces. This was on of Stan's new designs and incorporated that in this frame.

While the frame was getting rebuilt, I started taking apart the stuff I had in my possession. Esentially stripped everything down and repainted fresh.

Fuel cell and lines have seen some life. Based on the date markings on this fuel cell, it appears to be the original unit when the car was built in 2007. Per recommendation from John, I opted to replace it. I also replaced the old fuel pressure regulator with an Aeromotive one.

Floor to bare metal.

I started taking a look at the brake/clutch lines and wanted to redo the fittings and way it was configured. I ended up running new brake/clutch hardlines and replaced all braided lines thoughout the car everywhere.

Remember the damaged floors? Fresh new set installed by Stan.

Tea tray was beat, so ordered a new piece.

Stan calls – frame is ready! Oh ya, rebuild begins! This should be easy, right?

The car originally came with two pull/push shifter cables. Stan has a nifty single cable shifter and went with that configuration. One less cable and more robust solution. The new cable is substaintally bigger in diameter, but works very well. I've been told this cable will never snap!

Pegasus was my new go-to shop and bought everything I needed from there. Orders were processed fast. I had a list of all the bolts, nuts I needed in advance and got them almost right the first time. I did have to order maybe 4 more different sets for other various stuff.

Parts freshly painted and new fasteners everywhere! This is the first piece I started on. Getting new brake lines installed with new bulkhead fittings with fewer pieces and much cleaner.

I ran new clutch/brake lines and flared them with a new Parker tool. Very easy and fun to work with.

Replaced new steering bearings in the frame and installed the steering shaft.

Also replaced ALL heim joints.

Here's a picture (not my car) of the single cable setup. Stan has the brackets to order.

Had to widen the existing brackets by the shifter to accommodate the larger cable diameter.

Also had to install a washer to shim this to fit. The cable now does not move forward/aft.

The old fire bottle was expired, so I bought a Safecraft unit running Novec. Ran new lines in both driver & engine area. Safecraft was local to me so I drove there and picked up the unit directly. The guys there were very nice and helpful. I’ve very glad I went with them. Note new fuel cell.

Here are one of the new switch aluminum panel I had to make, due to the new diagonal frame brace getting in the way with the original unit.

Recall a few pictures back of the bottom of the fuel cell? It had impression marks from digging into the frame rail. To mitigate that, I had Stan mount a flat floor bottom to have a flat surface for the fuel cell to sit on. Doing so caused the fuel cell to sit 1” higher than before. With that, I had to make new side plates for the fuel cell and cut the covers to fit.

OK, ready for some bodywork and to make this thing look like a car again. Side panel installed along with oil and radiator ducts.

I ended up stripping the SS Seymour paint from all control arms (again) and coated the bare metal them with Penetrol which protects it from rust. GIves it a cool raw metal look. Apparently this cannot be sold in CA, but managed to sneak a bottle in.

Took apart all the heat wrap from the oil lines and found an in-line filter. Hmm…wonder if it’s ever been replaced. I got rid of it entirely and will run new oil lines everywhere. I opted to use the XRP push fitting lines with a crimp style ring to prevent slippage.

Check out this tool from Kool Tools which makes installing the fittings a snap! You simple put the fitting at the end and clamp the hose on the other end. By using a drill or impact wrench, there is a screw type mechanism which pushes the hose to the fitting. No more heating the hoses and fighting it to slip on. So nice!

OK, motor time. Harbor Fright chain hoist in action!

Never a dull moment, the header is hitting a new frame member. A quick call to John and he says no problem, Kevin can take care of this. OK, so off I go and load up the car to get a new pipe welded.

New motor mount blanks ready for drill/tap.

Remember the new single pull/push cable. It’s a hefty piece. Had to find a cable route which would not want to coil and snap back.

Next up, thought it’d be a good idea to replace all master cylinders. The car was equipped with Wilwood units. Bought the Tilton equivalents.

I had to cut the rods a bit as the ones it came with was too long. I initially cut and tapped a new thread on them. I then found a shortened rod directly from Tilton and ended up ordering those. They had a cleaner thread than the version I had tapped.

Also installed a new Tilton balancer bar and adjuster while I was at it.

Wheels installed to load up in trailer to head down to John's shop to weld and fix the header issue.

All done ready to go. Kevin is really skilled at this. I don't know how he does it, but he has a vision on pipe routing.

Note to self, I gotta get me one of those table stands.

Meanwhile back home, the BRD floor and rear diffuser came in. Got everything aligned to drill holes on the diffuser.

The rear brakes calipers which came with were the original Wilwood two piston units. Bought some new 4-piston calipers, which needed new brackets to go along with that. Thanks again to John for getting these CNC’d. The offset spacing and hole patterns were different. After a few iterations, we nailed this one down.

Next up are the rear-axles. Took them apart to inspect the CV joints. It appears they have seem some water damage and were pitted & discolored. Ordered some new lobro joints from Pegasus, got new boots for on side and repainted the axle itself with engine enamle (and baked it). This was my first time messing with this type of CV joint. Getting the balls in the first time was a frustrain PITA. After I figured it away, it was actually kinda fun. And yes, I was cautioned on how these can be installed wrong and bind. Thank you for the heads up John!

Back to the car. Finishing up new fuel/oil lines and getting everything mounted up.

Mounted voltage regulator to frame and tapes up all electrical connections for a nice and tidy look.

New fuel lines, regulator, filter and fittings.

I also cleaned up all the VDO sensors and mounted those to the frame via a P-clamp. They were originally dangling and zip tied on. I also bought the block fittings from Rilltech to tap off the oil pressure, and water/oil temp. Oil temp is taken from left side of motor, pressure from right side. Water temp is at the center rear. You can see the water sender faintly here.

Next was cleaning up the wiring. I rewrapped the main wire harness with the correct tape (found the OEM tape car manufacturers use), replaced all switches (rain light, starter, fuel pump) and also added a brake light switch. New power wiring was installed tip to tail and cleaned up all the sensor wiring and fittings. A new Tyco main relay was installed (original was this old boxy looking thing). There was a redudant harness fuse for the fuel pump and cleaned up that. One harness connector was loose and replaced both male/female ends of that connector. All wiring was installed in braided sleeving and tucked away.

New rear calipers and new brake lines all around

Rear end complete

Floors, diffuser and tire kickers install well and look good. New support rods from Stan and it’s all good to go. Jesse's (BRD) pieces are really high quality stuff.

Tire kickers were from Mike @ HRP

New thermal wrap everywhere.

Note catch can in front of spar. I also installed the coolant overflow bottle in the rear where the chain adjuster is

Almost done, getting final details of cable wrapping, routing, and tie downs.

New Sabelts were ordered installed. Next was making a seat. I opted to get the BSCI seat foam. It was my first time doing it and thought it went well. You’ll need at least one person to help you. Once seated, the foam is poured in a bag expands and conforms to your body. Once it’s cured, trimming and wrapping will take a few hours. It was kinda nervous to hold still while the foam cures. You only have one shot at doing it and it's not cheap (~$400). You need to cover up all the pockets in the frame so the foam won't get in all the nooks and crannies (makes removal impossible).

Seat done, head rest done.

At this point the car is complete and sent back to John & Kevin for alignment and squaring everything up.

After I recieved the finished car back, I had signed up for an open track day at Buttonwillow to shake the car up. To my luck, the front right brake caliper was leaking (brake fluid on ground). I ended up ordering a new set of calipers for safe measure.

The shocks are on the car now are the original C2Ps which is a Penske copy. They're kinda cheap and don't belong on the car after all I've done to it. I gave Angelo at ANZE a call and ordered a set of TTX36's. We got all the measurements down and expect shocks to come in 2nd week in Jan.

I also had the BBS cast magnesium wheels shipped out to Framestraight refinish. Turns out all wheels were out of round and deformed from old tire machines clamping on the rim. The wheels are being trued and finished like new. These are in paint now (probably done) and will be shipped to me soon.

Should have the car done (again) in 2 weeks. Need to call for tech inspection to make this thing legal.

What an adventure this was. Although I did spend more money than I had planned/wanted, it was a good learning experience - maybe priceless?

-Arax
    Last edited by 99sh; 01.01.18 at 2:54 PM.

Liked: 553

Wow. Very cool. I need to block off 2-3 hours and come back to read this post and look at the pictures more closely. :-)
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 141

Wow 1 - no chassis stands - how are your back and thigh muscles?
    Wow 2 - shared garage with street car - how many dings and scrapes?
    Question - what paint did you use for the control arms - look great.

Liked: 130

WOW thanks for sharing! It will be a funny story when you go and sell your house and have to explain why the garage is orange. Keep this thread going with more updates and pics! That looks like a ton of hard work. Keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by dereklola View Post
    Wow 1 - no chassis stands - how are your back and thigh muscles?
    Wow 2 - shared garage with street car - how many dings and scrapes?
    Question - what paint did you use for the control arms - look great.
    I did have to take breaks to avoid breaking my back, but overall it wasn't too bad. I was sitting on my butt for the most part, but did have moments of my back freezing on me. The car was lifted on two motorcycle stands which got it up about a foot, so it wasn't too bad. I would like to get a table and a cherry picker in the future. Maybe...

Street (girlfriend's) car was not damaged in the process. I was super careful, as best as I could. No orange there either!

For the control arms I used Penetrol. They sell them online and in some big box stores. It's kinda like a clear lacquer which apparently protects steel from rusting. It's pretty cool. I put 3 or so coats on it after letting it dry for a few hours. If you do a google search, I read they used this in WWII(??) to protect tanks and some equipment. The Seymour stainless steel paint (620-1460) is a close 2nd. Almost the same look and sprays very nice. I bought a case of 6 for $60 shipped....not too bad.

7. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 23

Thanks for sharing, great pics! If you had an upload link I'd love to down load higher res versions of all the pics you just posted.

As Im in a structural design phase ATM.

Im curious as to what is the max width of the aluminum sides, top and bottom plates that house and support the dif and rear suspension are and also the thicker aluminum mount plate which it all attaches to.

I like this all machined design, its professional looking.

Liked: 530

Are you related to Maris
    http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/show...ration-project

thanks for documenting and sharing!

Contributing Member Thomas Copeland's Avatar
    Liked: 165

Nice read. Thanks. Couldn't help but notice the car the car has the old West Coast F1000 Pro Series sticker on it. As one of the series founders seeing it brought back some nice memories from 2009-2012. Those were the fun days. Someday would like to bring it all back on the West Coast. Have fun racing it.

Liked: 273

Default Will we see this car on track?

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Copeland View Post
    Nice read. Thanks. Couldn't help but notice the car the car has the old West Coast F1000 Pro Series sticker on it. As one of the series founders seeing it brought back some nice memories from 2009-2012. Those were the fun days. Someday would like to bring it all back on the West Coast. Have fun racing it.
    Yep those were fun times. Nicholas and I ran the very first West Coast Series race at WSIR.

I hope this car doesn't end up being a "Garage Queen" like a fair number of the F1000's have. Since the Runoffs are in your backyard I expect to see you and the car there.
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    Are you related to Maris
    http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/show...ration-project

thanks for documenting and sharing!
    That's a sexy looking car. I love the rear engine cover louver setup!! I need to do that to the Stohr to get some engine heat out!
    Last edited by 99sh; 01.02.18 at 7:20 PM.

Liked: 309

Thank you for entrusting your chariot to us, Arax. We are all looking forward to seeing how she runs!
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Wheels are in from Framestraight. These guys are the ticket to straighten out wheels - great workmanship. Like I said earlier, the wheels had some run-out particularly where the tire machine clamps on the inner rim.

Shocks from Angelo @ ANZE also came in and started installing those. Ran into a minor snag with the spherical bushing collars and need to wait to install the rears.

Spring collars, thrust bearings and 1" spacer to accommodate a 4" long spring.

Assembled

Fit is pretty tight in this orientation. The entire head can be adjusted and clocked as required. I was thinking of flipping the shock 180, but will stick with this config for now.

Last edited by 99sh; 01.16.18 at 8:23 PM.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 60

Your last post does not show the new pictures.
    Have you weighed the car before and after to see if you have added weight with the extra frame tubes and the bigger brakes?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Holland View Post
    Your last post does not show the new pictures.
    Have you weighed the car before and after to see if you have added weight with the extra frame tubes and the bigger brakes?
    I did. It was 877 lbs wet, less driver. I'm about 165, which puts it at 1042 total weight, just over the 1000 lb min.
    Last edited by 99sh; 01.16.18 at 8:31 PM.

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Whoa - that was a bit long!
    Hey man - 1 thing stands out, I think you may have trouble with:
    The shift cable should go to the LEFT side of the paddle, which results in a wider radius bend to curve back towards the rear of the car.
    Also, left will be opposite as far as which side of the paddle up shifts or downshifts.
    Like my good friend Russ McBride mentioned - gonna have to come back and look at some of that stuff.
    Have fun,

Liked: 59

Amazing job Arax! Truly better than new. If you don't race the car soon, give me call. I'll buy it back. Good luck, go have fun and win some races.

19. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 0

This is truly educational and entertaining post. Thank you for sharing all this. I am new to the forum, this is my first post in fact and I wanted to let you know that I am very impressed that there are people out there that have an attention to detail. There are a lot of guys who "rebuild" without any sense of accuracy, attention to detail, and just want to get it over with. I am new to F1000, well, I should say I am just looking, reading and educating myself at the moment. I am a car enthusiast and I rebuilt BMW M54B30 (e46 - 330Ci) engine and I am going to do some track time this summer. What I did and what I plan to do with my car is far lower in cost than F1000 project. Due to lack of money and space I am unable to do F1000 build/rebuild at this time but I am definitely reading and educating myself until the moment comes.

I would be interested to hear about the cost if that is not a secret? I don't need to know the details, but am interested in an overall number. For example, what did you pay for the car and how much did you "invest" in it in total? I would like to hear those numbers if possible, and feel free to include any specialty tools with that. I found "operational costs" thread and that gives me a good idea of the operational costs, but as far as obtaining the car and fixing it up I have no clue what to expect. My best guess would be that the car is about $35k and you need another $5k to sort everything out on it? I would do exactly the same thing as what you did; find a good used car and strip it down and rebuild it from ground up.

Again, thank you for sharing all this with us and keep up the good work man!!

I did play around with the shift cable routing a bit and found the location I have now to be most neutral. The cable has some nice 'snap' to it and wants to roll over itself under certain routing conditions. Flipping the paddle on the other side will mess with my head too much. Right paddle upshift sits easier w/me.

As for initial cost of the car, it ended up being more than I had anticipated or planned for. Car w/spares was a decent deal at $30.5k, rebuild was about $23K including all the upgrades. I could've done it for probably half of that but choose to go all the way and do it right.

I had most all the tools I needed (nothing really specialized). Only spent about ~$400 for the hardline flare tools and pushon hose fitting tool. I'm currently looking to buy some alignment tools which adds another $3k.

If you have the money now, there are 2 very well prepped Stohr's out there for less money!

22. The following members LIKED this post:

Can't wait to see you on track in that car, Arax!
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Added the radio equipment using an Alinco DJ500T handheld talkie.

Nicely stuffed on the left side where I can reach the volume controls and adjust if needed.

Wiring looped up in the front end out of the way.

Push to talk button right next to dash

And a nicely equipped 5/8 wavelength 2m/70cm antenna. Maybe a little carried away on the antenna, but I know it'll work!

Last edited by 99sh; 02.23.18 at 9:13 PM.

Liked: 553

Looks great. Keep the pictures coming.
    Quote Originally Posted by 99sh View Post
    <snip> ... I'm currently looking to buy some alignment tools which adds another $3k.
    Scales and a platform are expensive, but you can do the rest pretty inexpensively if money is tight. Let us know if you want to hear about low cost options (like string and jack stands :-)

You might even be able to make arrangements to scale your car at the track. It is usually the last step (for me, at least).
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 384

Fantastic job.
    Let me know if you do your first
    testing in Los Angeles area.
    I'll join and share some notes..

button willow would love that car....
    Maris Kazia ,CEO
    EuroKraft Inc Racing
    Circuito do Sol
    2014 Radical SR 3 RSX, 2x Tatuus FA 01
    BMW HP2 .BMW K1200 R.Porsche 996 Carerra 4s

Collar/spacers for shocks arrived. Rear shocks in!

Last edited by 99sh; 02.23.18 at 9:10 PM.

It was 877 lbs wet, less driver.
    Arax, does that include fuel, or just water and oil? Thanks, Stan
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Clayton View Post
    Arax, does that include fuel, or just water and oil? Thanks, Stan
    Stan, that included about 3-4 gal of fuel. I plan to put it on the scales again in about 2 weeks to get a final 'run for record' baseline.

30. The following members LIKED this post:

Thanks Arax. That means your car's basic weight might be as low as 852-855.
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

In it for the final stretch. Getting the car set-up. Picked up some equipment in the last couple months and giving a go for the first time.

Not a hard job, just time consuming but got quicker throughout the day.

Platforms all leveled. I ended up using a long 8 foot level also a precision Starrett level to satisfy my OCD.

The intercomp scales and display is really a great piece. It came with a nice case to store the scales in as well.

Here's the final results. I used some ballast (bags of salt bags) and positioned them according to my driving position.

Next up was camber and caster. I found some niced use turnplates from Intercomp

Ballast

Google photos is doing weird things with the image links. Updated posts 20 & 23 w w/pics
    Last edited by 99sh; 02.23.18 at 10:53 PM.

Default Weight

Not to be a party pooper but if I were that over weight I'd be taking stuff off the car asap.

My car has a 40 lb piece of 3/16" thick steel plate bolted to the bottom of it and I still come in at 1004 lbs with 2 gal of fuel.

Sorry dude but unless you have a Kawi GEN4 in there your packin' to much heft.

Car looks bad ass though
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

34. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by ghickman View Post
    Not to be a party pooper but if I were that over weight I'd be taking stuff off the car asap.

My car has a 40 lb piece of 3/16" thick steel plate bolted to the bottom of it and I still come in at 1004 lbs with 2 gal of fuel.

Sorry dude but unless you have a Kawi GEN4 in there your packin' to much heft.

Car looks bad ass though

I hear ya, 40 lbs is 40 lbs. There isn't really anything in these cars extra to take out. The only option I see is replacing parts with lighter components. Lightweight axles & CV joints and narrower wheels are the things I see as low hanging fruit I can change.

Last step was getting the toe set-up. Pretty easy process using the MK string alignment bars. One issue I ran into was the rollers on the MK bars are not perfectly spaced. I had to sandwich some tape between the rollers to offset the fishing line as much as 5/32" to get them equidistant. [emoji106]

Last edited by 99sh; 03.01.18 at 10:42 PM.

Default Got that covered

I hear ya, 40 lbs is 40 lbs. There isn't really anything in these cars extra to take out. The only option I see is replacing parts with lighter components. Lightweight axles & CV joints and narrower wheels are the things I see as low hanging fruit I can change.
    I'll post some pictures of rear axle parts that I recently did for the Stohr F1000 (they would likely work for the P1/P2 cars also).

Replaces the stock stub axle with a BUILT IN FC size Tripod Drive, light weight hollow axles, and Tripod Inboard drive for either the TAYLOR or WILLIAMS Differential. These are the more robust tripods as used in Formula Continental. Those that have seen my car up close know they work well.

I don't have exact weight savings but it is better than 10 lbs.

Rod Rice and Mark Nixon will have them on for this season.
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Liked: 80

<hijack>

Hi Gary,

Can you send me some info about those? I recall speaking with you about it at Indy, had forgotten about it until now.

-Jake
    jake.latham@gmail.com

</hijack>

Default Double Hijack

Quote Originally Posted by JakeL View Post
    <hijack>

Hi Gary,

Can you send me some info about those? I recall speaking with you about it at Indy, had forgotten about it until now.

-Jake
    jake.latham@gmail.com

</hijack>
    For the Stohr owners that care about trimming the fat. For your viewing pleasure.

Total weight for a car set is 8.664lbs. Back out the difference in the weight of 2 stub axles that is a total weight of 4.544 lbs. I use the very light weight FSAE boots supplied by Taylor...they weigh half of nothing.

All these parts are machined from 4340 and heat treated to 48HRC....they're strong.

These parts take the far more robust FC size Tripod bearing. I have the diff side drives for either Taylor or Williams.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FC SIZE TRIPOD.jpg 
Views:	448 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	77306   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DIFF SIDE TRIPOD DRIVE.jpg 
Views:	395 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	77307   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TRIPOD AXLE.jpg 
Views:	295 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	77308  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TRIPOD STUB AXLE.jpg 
Views:	332 
Size:	133.1 KB 
ID:	77309   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UPRIGHT ASSEMBLED.jpg 
Views:	367 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	77310  
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

40. The following members LIKED this post:

For the Stohr owners that care about trimming the fat. For your viewing pleasure.

Total weight for a car set is 8.664lbs. Back out the difference in the weight of 2 stub axles that is a total weight of 4.544 lbs. I use the very light weight FSAE boots supplied by Taylor...they weigh half of nothing.

All these parts are machined from 4340 and heat treated to 48HRC....they're strong.

These parts take the far more robust FC size Tripod bearing. I have the diff side drives for either Taylor or Williams.
    Nice looking parts. What's service life on these parts? Replacements easily obtainable thru you or Taylor?

Nice looking parts. What's service life on these parts? Replacements easily obtainable thru you or Taylor?
    These are parts that are appropriately sized for an F1000. They should last as long as the stock parts that came on the Stohr.

As always with custom parts like this I encourage purchasing spares, you never know when you might tear a corner off the car.

For now I'm the only source for these, but that shouldn't spook you. All the parts on a JDR & Phoenix are machined by my shop, I plan to be around.

This is a project I took on for Jesse Brittsan, he knew I could pull it off. They'd struggled with the smaller FSAE parts on Rod Rice's Stohr for 3 seasons.

FYI- These same parts are on my Phoenix and have 3 Runoffs and something like 35 races on them. I'm your beta tester.
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Liked: 0

Is formula up and running? I am wondering if you did anything else to it, and have you been to a track yet, and if so, can we get some feedback? Is there anything that you realized that you could do differently and that you kind of regret doing in first place?

These are parts that are appropriately sized for an F1000. They should last as long as the stock parts that came on the Stohr.

As always with custom parts like this I encourage purchasing spares, you never know when you might tear a corner off the car.

For now I'm the only source for these, but that shouldn't spook you. All the parts on a JDR & Phoenix are machined by my shop, I plan to be around.

This is a project I took on for Jesse Brittsan, he knew I could pull it off. They'd struggled with the smaller FSAE parts on Rod Rice's Stohr for 3 seasons.

FYI- These same parts are on my Phoenix and have 3 Runoffs and something like 35 races on them. I'm your beta tester.
    The FC-size tripods have been available from Stohr for years, fit both the FB and WF1 cars, and our rear upright drive flanges come premachined for them, so you can swap them out at home if you like. In the attached photo you can see the three tripod mount holes (with plugs installed to prevent CV grease leaking out). We have our machinist machine a step in the tripod housing so it centers on the lip you see on the drive flange. This makes the housing self-centering and stabilizes it as well. I have heard of machinists milling that lip off to fit tripods, but we think that's the wrong approach.

Moreover, tripods are substantially more expensive than lightened (or standard) CVs, and in our opinion don't offer enough of an advantage over lightened CVs to make them worth while. That said, if you are determined to have them, we'll be happy to help you make it happen.
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Quote Originally Posted by F1bigfan View Post
    Is formula up and running? I am wondering if you did anything else to it, and have you been to a track yet, and if so, can we get some feedback? Is there anything that you realized that you could do differently and that you kind of regret doing in first place?
    Yes! Had my first regional race 2 weeks ago to shake the car loose. Everything ran great with the exception of an electrical issue which I was able to find and correct (loose connector contact). No regrets so far w.r.t. any parts I bought and with the rebuild. Like I mentioned in my earlier posts, I wasn't anticipating or had planned this level of rebuild and was looking for a turn-key setup. I dumped more resources than I would've liked, but that's the nature of the beast with any car.

If I had to have one regret it would be that I could've bought a 'better' car with the same money. At the time of purchase, I was looking at 2 cars. One was roughly $15K more then the other. I ended up spending roughly the same amount at the end of the day and still don't have all the goodies the other car did (dry sump & less draggy bodywork). On the flip side, I know my car inside out and gained an experience which is priceless.

Bottom line, I'm in it to have fun and not necessarily looking to be at the very point end of the grid. If I can build a reliable car and to the build quality I expect, I'm a happy camper!

46. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 183

If I had to have one regret it would be that I could've bought a 'better' car with the same money. At the time of purchase, I was looking at 2 cars. One was roughly $15K more then the other. I ended up spending roughly the same amount at the end of the day and still don't have all the goodies the other car did (dry sump & less draggy bodywork). On the flip side, I know my car inside out and gained an experience which is priceless.
    Im in the same boat. I have been building up a formula ford. Hell, for the money I have spent I could have bought 1 f1600 professionally prepped car, or two "race ready" formula fords, or at least 3 projects...

But in the end, I'll end up with about 80% of a new Formula ford and I'll know every nut & bolt on that car. Sometimes you can't put a price on that kind of piece of mind.

Liked: 80

Congrats Arax, it's a special feeling knowing your own car in and out - I did the exact same with my Radical Prosport and my Stohr WF-1.

Like you, both times I ended up spending more than if I'd just bought the better car to begin with - I think now you understand where I was coming from

Both ways end up fun though - enjoy your car AND the peace of mind you've now got.

Have fun!

-Jake

49. The following members LIKED this post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information