Liked: 146

Default PFM in club FA class

This has been touched on before, but I'll touch on it again. How close to competitiveness can a well-prepped, decently-driven Pro Mazda get to the sharp end of the typical quality Atlantic field? A few thoughts:

From what I can decipher in the GCR, the PFM can use the larger FA wheel sizes. Is this a good thing to exploit? I would think, unless you were at Bonneville, more contact patch is always good, but I dunno.

Are there other tweaks that could be explored in future to make the car faster, without ruining its value-to-performance factor? i.e. can it be much lighter?

Thanks in advance, I may have access to one next year.
    Dale V.
    Lake Effect Motorsports
    FM
    Spartan VP-2/Mazda

Liked: 803

Here's a data point from this FRP season, certainly a decently driven PM against quality FA.

(there's another set of data in the runoffs results that less encouraging, but I don't know anything about those entrants or circumstances)

Thanks Lotus, that's a pretty direct comparo of some real heavy hitters in all types of cars. Martin put his "test" to good use, winning the IndyCar weekend pole at 1:19.6, four 10ths clear of everyone else.

Would a PFM deficit be less at a fast track, like RA?
    Dale V.
    Lake Effect Motorsports
    FM
    Spartan VP-2/Mazda

Liked: 530

I doubt bigger tires would help, but maybe track dependent. More rotating mass and much more aero drag.
    PFM just isn’t competitive against 014/16 cars.
    hoping a bunch of them start showing up after the pro series upgrades.

Liked: 281

Quote Originally Posted by dalz View Post
    Would a PFM deficit be less at a fast track, like RA?
    No, Atlantics have a higher top speed and a higher cornering potential. It would not be close, given equal, top flight drivers.

Thanks for the cold water splash guys, I needed it. I might still be at the Sprints in one, and see what the thing can do....
    Dale V.
    Lake Effect Motorsports
    FM
    Spartan VP-2/Mazda

Liked: 142

They're not competitive with a well driven proper FA. They are great cars though. I like my PFM better than any or the 5 or 6 different f2000s I've owned. Bang for the buck is phenomenal with them. Approaching FA performance but you can buy them for not much more $ than an F2000 car.
    Awww, come on guys, it's so simple. Maybe you need a refresher course. Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays.

Liked: 77

Would alternative engine mapping in a PFM help? Ideally you wouldn't sacrifice the reliability all that much...

But can anything be done to a PFM to make it more competitive in FA?

Liked: 281

Quote Originally Posted by Jtovo View Post
    Would alternative engine mapping in a PFM help? Ideally you wouldn't sacrifice the reliability all that much...

But can anything be done to a PFM to make it more competitive in FA?
    The Renessis motor is about maxed out. A motor transplant would be required and you will still be way outclassed by the aero.
    They are fantastic cars though. Pretty darn fast, easy to work on and dead reliable. Parts prices are also not insane.

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 58

Default Horse power and weight

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Michael View Post
    The Renessis motor is about maxed out. A motor transplant would be required and you will still be way outclassed by the aero.
    They are fantastic cars though. Pretty darn fast, easy to work on and dead reliable. Parts prices are also not insane.
    What is the HP and weight of these cars vs a true FA
    what is the FA HP and weight today?
    Last edited by david oleary; 02.26.19 at 12:50 PM.

11. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information