Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked: 3

Default Competition Data Systems out of business?

I have been trying to contact CDS since 10-15-17 for some info on SEN15 sensors

I have left several voicemails (at least they still have voice mail and a phone line)

I have tried to email to all the addresses I can come up with, several times

The link to the CDS Forum on the website does not work

Has anyone had any contact with them recently?

Are they still in business?

I appreciate any input I can get

Thanks Chris

Chris Harrison
    Harrison Auto Dynamics
    602 738 1948 cel
    623 465 0228

Liked: 942

Are you trying to contact Marshall Mauney?
    Phone: (205) 948-7317 Email: monica@competitiondata.com

He purchased the company from previous owners.

Quote Originally Posted by chris harrison View Post
    I have been trying to contact CDS since 10-15-17 for some info on SEN15 sensors

I have left several voicemails (at least they still have voice mail and a phone line)

I have tried to email to all the addresses I can come up with, several times

The link to the CDS Forum on the website does not work

Has anyone had any contact with them recently?

Are they still in business?

I appreciate any input I can get

Thanks Chris

Chris Harrison
    Harrison Auto Dynamics
    602 738 1948 cel
    623 465 0228
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Yes, I have talked to Monica at that number before, but only leaving messages now
    I have been trying that Email address as well
    Striking out on both
    I am really afraid they are out of business

Liked: 175

I left voice mail messages on both Marshall's cell phone and Monica's cell phone in late June about a sensor I bought from CDS in April of this year. Neither one has ever returned my call. I am disappointed with the lack of customer service since they purchased the company. FWIW, it looks like Marshall's last visit to ApexSpeed was 7/30/16.

Liked: 139

I think CDS stopped listing the sen15 back in the 90's. Its a proximity sensor for gear teeth, not for use with magnet. I wish George Main was still around.

Liked: 67

Quote Originally Posted by J Leonard View Post
    I think CDS stopped listing the sen15 back in the 90's. Its a proximity sensor for gear teeth, not for use with magnet. I wish George Main was still around.
    George was a wonderful resource, for sure.

Might check with David or Ellen at Veracity, they seem to have their finger on the pulse of CDS most recently.
    -Peter Krause
    1984 Tiga SC
    www.peterkrause.net
    "The Driver is the Greatest Performance Variable in the Racing Equation"

Liked: 285

We've been trying to contact Marshall and Monica for weeks ourselves. We are concerned that perhaps something has happened (accident, medical issue) that leaves them unable to respond.

Let's hope we hear something soon.
    David Ferguson
    Veracity Racing Data
    Shift RPM App for iOS
    805-238-1699

Liked: 218

Marshall & Monica just moved into a house near West Bend, WI. Marshall has taken a different job , which is why they moved back here from Alabama. Pretty sure the rigors of moving, selling the old house (which they just did), buying a new house, changing locations and jobs has got them behind. I have been talking with Marshall about some system upgrades (FE2 will be can bus instead of serial integration) and a system for a GT2. We've also been discussing upgrades to a building on his property that he wants to use to run CDS out of. Having recently built a shop, he wanted to know what I had done for insulation, heating and air, etc. as my building turned out to be very efficient.
    Competition One Racing
    racer6@mchsi.com

I can appreciate how much work it is to move and change jobs

I guess they have been overwhelmed, but they are not setting a good example of customer service

In most business the adage "no news is good news" is not true

It only takes a second to reply,even if reply is "buried will contact you when possible"

I hope to hear from them soon

Thanks Chris

BTW SEN15 is a proximity displacement sensor that is pretty slick how it works and can be mounted

Contributing Member
    Liked: 269

The problem is the David and Ellen do such an exceptional job that we come to expect the same from all the racing suppliers.

Robby
    ps David not sure if I ever thanked you for all the work you did in trying to revive my dying display earlier this year. So Thank you!

Classifieds Super License John Robinson II's Avatar
    Liked: 136

the real problem is there are some of us that cant use the data or upgrade equipment because of no response. I have been very loyal to CDS for many years but this is not good.

john

Liked: 18

Default Waving the flag

John, not only have you been loyal to cds, but you wave the flag well for them. I am afraid of how much quicker you would be with all those squiggly lines to look at..... Personally I must say David and Ellen at Veracity have done me well, and helped ALL of my customers. If a patch can be done to get you up and running, please do not be afraid to ask Veracity. You do not need to change your loyalty, they do not require that you do so, they represent many companies, and help many customers.
    Alan

13. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 1

Both Sara and I are sorry that you folks are having this experience. This was absolutely NOT the picture that was painted to us when we decided to sell the assets. We absolutely believed that CDS would be accelerated to the next level.

-Peter

Contributing Member
    Liked: 89

What info are you looking for Chris? What system are you running?

I sent them a couple of SEN15 sensors for repair in Sept

I have been trying to get a status report for my customer

I hope now that the move is mostly complete and going well, I will be getting an update

Thanks to the forum for the help and info

Chris

Liked: 139

Quote Originally Posted by CDS View Post
    Both Sara and I are sorry that you folks are having this experience. This was absolutely NOT the picture that was painted to us when we decided to sell the assets. We absolutely believed that CDS would be accelerated to the next level.

-Peter
    Very disappointed they pulled your videos off the CDS site.

18. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 388

I have been a CDS customer since 1995. I still believe it is the best data system available. Over the years I have acquired a large inventory of CDS items, most of which I still use. I really hope this system continues to thrive - it would be a terrible loss to many of us for it to fade away. It was nice in the past having Peter at the runoffs to touch base with his customers. That kind of interaction goes a long way towards customer satisfaction.

Michael Varacins

Good news for my customer
    The repaired SEN15 sensors arrived today
    Still no communication but at least a little service
    Hopefully they get it all the way together
    Chris

21. The following 2 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License swiftdrivr's Avatar
    Liked: 673

Stlll not answering e-mails. Anyone know if they are planning on servicing their customers? Seems a very long hiatus for a simple move.
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Liked: 19

Default Cds ??

Does anyone have any New updated info on CDS ? Still in business?
    Terry Abbott

2-Vector FV's
    1-SM Miata

Default Hacker

It appears CDS has abandoned it's customers and skipped town. On a not necessarily related subject, does anyone know a good hacker?
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Liked: 175

CDS's website lists various representatives on the "Buy a CDS Racing Data System" webpage. On February 20, I e-mailed one of the listed representatives (from whom I purchased CDS sensors at his shop in April 2017) to ask if he is still a CDS representative and to inquire if I could purchase a new push button switch for my CoPilot 2+ dash. I have not received a response from him in nearly three weeks. The silence is deafening.

Marshall charged me 3 times the yearly rate for a product key he said was good for life, but I had to re-boot my computer and re-install CDS,and now it says my key is invalid. Can't even get a reply from Marshall, for the last 4 months.
    Jim
    Swift DB-1

CDS was certainly one of the pioneers of DAQ in club racing. At the forefront for a long time, thanks to Peter and especially, Sara.

At the time (and still, if able to be used fully), it was a very powerful system with creative ways to visualize the information.

John Block opened my eyes to the power, but the lack of decent video integration, GPS mapping, reliable logging, configuration, software development and customer (let alone dealer) support has allowed others not to just pass them by, but blow them away.

The primary improvement of other systems focuses on ease-of-use, and the demise of the recurring licensing model (specifically, the ability to even open the files, not even MoTeC, Cosworth and others require that). As a dealer, I paid $2K to be abused...

I'm sorry to see this venerable vendor disappear, but the handwriting has been on the wall for some time. I know folks with this investment in their systems are disappointed, and I know racers (and many folks) resist the idea of change enthusiastically, but it's time to investigate alternatives. Dave and Ellen, Matt, myself and others can be a resource for those interested in updating.
    -Peter Krause
    1984 Tiga SC
    www.peterkrause.net

That is all well and good if you are buying new, but many of us have thousands of dollars invested in CDS, and can't really afford to go and re-buy a replacement because Marshall doesn't give a rip.
    Jim
    Swift DB-1

29. The following members LIKED this post:

I agree. Not an inconsiderable investment, which makes this a greater challenge for those with this system.

The hardware will continue to function for some time, the major support needed will be software licenses maintained/renewed, I imagine. It’s always tough for a single proprietor/mom and pop vendor to keep up, let alone forge forward. Been through this with Traqmate.

I’ve sold about two dozen AiM and a half dozen MoTeC systems to people who didn’t know where or weren’t able to get support for their CDS systems. If the company and brand representatives are not responsive, you eventually will need to go with one that is... All you have to do is look at the secondary market value for various brands to gauge support and value. I can’t give CDS systems and components away. AiM and MoTeC? Not so much of an issue.

Hope you get the help you need from Marshall. It would be a shame if this fades away.
    -Peter Krause
    1984 Tiga SC
    www.peterkrause.net

Liked: 388

I'll be happy to take any CDS systems and components that you're trying to give away.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigaman View Post
    I agree. Not an inconsiderable investment, which makes this a greater challenge for those with this system.

The hardware will continue to function for some time, the major support needed will be software licenses maintained/renewed, I imagine. It’s always tough for a single proprietor/mom and pop vendor to keep up, let alone forge forward. Been through this with Traqmate.

I’ve sold about two dozen AiM and a half dozen MoTeC systems to people who didn’t know where or weren’t able to get support for their CDS systems. If the company and brand representatives are not responsive, you eventually will need to go with one that is... All you have to do is look at the secondary market value for various brands to gauge support and value. I can’t give CDS systems and components away. AiM and MoTeC? Not so much of an issue.

Hope you get the help you need from Marshall. It would be a shame if this fades away.

32. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Sport Engineering View Post
    I'll be happy to take any CDS systems and components that you're trying to give away.
    Be glad to send folks your way. Perhaps they can recover a portion of their investment, if the equipment is valuable to you.
    -Peter Krause
    1984 Tiga SC
    www.peterkrause.net

If Marshal isn't going to make any more money off CDS, and I'd say his abandoning his customers has pretty much made that a certainty, perhaps he'd be decent enough to turn it over to someone who'd at least maintain the existing systems, or release it as open-source software.
    Jim
    Swift DB-1

Liked: 229

Quote Originally Posted by swiftdrivr View Post
    If Marshal isn't going to make any more money off CDS, and I'd say his abandoning his customers has pretty much made that a certainty, perhaps he'd be decent enough to turn it over to someone who'd at least maintain the existing systems, or release it as open-source software.
    Depends on what development software you use. Don't think you can make a Microsoft library stuff open source.

He has not burned the bridges completely and if he responded and you had CDS stuff your just going to toss it?
    I believe they were a source for components for other systems maybe he is focusing on that aspect.

But I do think he gotten as bad as Cosworth, I wanted to buy a current copy of Toolbox. I was told they will not sell them anymore only lease it. They quoted me 12k per year plus a service agreement.

At least they will talk to you. Marshal won't respond at all, and hasn't for months. Unless that changes, my CDS system is a fancy lap timer, nothing more.
    Jim
    Swift DB-1

Quote Originally Posted by Pi_guy View Post
    Depends on what development software you use. Don't think you can make a Microsoft library stuff open source.

But I do think he gotten as bad as Cosworth, I wanted to buy a current copy of Toolbox. I was told they will not sell them anymore only lease it. They quoted me 12k per year plus a service agreement.
    Agreed on the first part. Can’t go back and open it up.

On Cosworth, it’s been tough since Tom Remedios left, but I just got off the phone with Chris Mower from Cosworth and I think there are easier/cheaper paths than take on that.

The current regime is not familiar with legacy products and the current Toolbox is all geared around hardware developed for OEM’s like GM Performance and Porsche Motorsports. The current release has many tiers, depending on features desired, and also integrates video really well.

Have you talked to David or Ellen lately about legacy support for older Toolbox releases?

It would be great if John Block or Dave/Ellen Ferguson could help Marshall and CDS users out of a jam by taking it over, assuming Marshall is looking to get out.
    -Peter Krause
    1984 Tiga SC
    www.peterkrause.net

Contributing Member
    Liked: 89

If you run across any copilot2 displays (NOT 2+) I'd be interested in one. Shoot me a pm, thanks!

Liked: 2

Does anyone have any updates with the current status of CDS support? I know it’s a waste of my time, but I have been calling them on average about once every two weeks with no response. I picked up a new computer over the winter with the intention of dedicating it to racing. My current laptop that has TM SW is on its last leg and every day is a bonus at this point. I still have not been able to get Track master SW installed on my new machine it which is very disappointing. I hate to ask this but considering the circumstances I no longer find it inappropriate to ask if anyone has successfully hacked the Track master SW? please PM me or shoot me an e-mail if you can help me out. Aabbott2525@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by A.Abbott View Post
    Does anyone have any updates with the current status of CDS support?

I hate to ask this but considering the circumstances I no longer find it inappropriate to ask if anyone has successfully hacked the Track master SW? please PM me or shoot me an e-mail if you can help me out. Aabbott2525@gmail.com
    Same here. I have a $2000 pro TM license I would like to get working on modern computers. I used it just a few times, too...
    -Peter Krause
    1984 Tiga SC
    www.peterkrause.net

Quote Originally Posted by A.Abbott View Post
    Does anyone have any updates with the current status of CDS support? I know it’s a waste of my time, but I have been calling them on average about once every two weeks with no response. I picked up a new computer over the winter with the intention of dedicating it to racing. My current laptop that has TM SW is on its last leg and every day is a bonus at this point. I still have not been able to get Track master SW installed on my new machine it which is very disappointing. I hate to ask this but considering the circumstances I no longer find it inappropriate to ask if anyone has successfully hacked the Track master SW? please PM me or shoot me an e-mail if you can help me out. Aabbott2525@gmail.com
    It's not inappropriate to ask. Marshall took our money and skipped town. If you find a way to hack it, let me know!
    Jim
    Swift DB-1

Liked: 229

This thread is turning into a advert for AIM and Motec.......

Liked: 91

For what's it's worth, I know a good hacker.

Liked: 830

I have a new car with NO DATA FILE for TrackMaster. Does anyone have an actual car track file they can send me to see if I can get anything to work?
    TIA,
    Steve, FV80
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

Liked: 1417

Is Marshall still MIA? Anyone know what happened to him?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information