Liked: 226

Default FF50th @ Road America: Race Groups

As announced last September, there will be two Formula Ford only race groups at the FF50th. At 25 cars per Road America's 4.0 miles, that allows a total of 200 entries if cars are split perfectly between the two race groups.

The if, of course, is a big one and begs and equally big question. How can such a large entry list be evenly divided given the many combinations of chassis, tires, shocks, and so on that have evolved over Formula Ford's 50 years?

The FF50th's strategy will be to accept the first 200 entries and then adjust race groups as required. The going in position will be to divide the entry by tires, one race group for treads and the other for slicks. That is surely too simplistic but it is a starting point. I am working with the VSCDA on an early entry process so that the composition of the entry list is known months in advance.

More news as it happens. Happy holidays!

Steve Beeler - de facto FF50th Chairman
    Lola T-540 HU44
    steve_beeler@ymail.com
    (734)560-6031

2. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 269

100 car grid? That will be one hell of a start.

Robby

Liked: 211

The 40th at Road America had 100+ cars see the green flag.. what an awesome sight..
    Cheers
    Len

Porsche River Oaks. Houston

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 492

Lenny, et al, the numbers off the results sheets from confirm that on July 26 there were indeed 100 cars that took the green flag for the Regional FF/CFF race with a further 10 listed as DNS's !
    Pretty remarkable.
    A scroll through the names is fun, to say the least, regardless of where one finds ones name in the list.....
    Hindsight being perfect, of course, what a great video taken from a drone of that happening would have made !
    Or even a hand held video from T1 or T5 on the first lap..... Or T6 as this huge field streams under the bridge, that would be so amazing, the never ending tide of FF/CF of all makes and models.....
    I know Steve and VSCDA hope for similar numbers come September of 2019, as do as Joe and I with Atlanta Region at Road Atlanta at the ARRC a few months later early in November as we all celebrate 50 Years of FF in North America.
    The planets certainly aligned for Steve and I after we announced the 40th two years out, as both of us have done for the 50th in 2019.
    Best of luck to us all, and every FF/CF racer in the country, I know we both hope to see each and every one in two years time.
    Maybe the planets will fall into some sort of similar alignment come 2019 !

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License marshall9's Avatar
    Liked: 501

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Rand View Post
    Lenny, et al, the numbers off the results sheets from confirm that on July 26 there were indeed 100 cars that took the green flag for the Regional FF/CFF race with a further 10 listed as DNS's !
    Pretty remarkable.
    A scroll through the names is fun, to say the least, regardless of where one finds ones name in the list.....
    Hindsight being perfect, of course, what a great video taken from a drone of that happening would have made !
    Or even a hand held video from T1 or T5 on the first lap..... Or T6 as this huge field streams under the bridge, that would be so amazing, the never ending tide of FF/CF of all makes and models.....
    I know Steve and VSCDA hope for similar numbers come September of 2019, as do as Joe and I with Atlanta Region at Road Atlanta at the ARRC a few months later early in November as we all celebrate 50 Years of FF in North America.
    The planets certainly aligned for Steve and I after we announced the 40th two years out, as both of us have done for the 50th in 2019.
    Best of luck to us all, and every FF/CF racer in the country, I know we both hope to see each and every one in two years time.
    Maybe the planets will fall into some sort of similar alignment come 2019 !
    Pm Rand

Liked: 799

Default Out west? just curious ...

This isn't meant as a slight whatsoever, but I'm curious why we haven't seen any mention of a third version of the 50th, to be arranged by the guys on the west coast? (or did I miss it?).
    Are those guys planning to be at RdAm or RdAtl? (seems unlikely in light of all the 'runoffs location' posts).
    Or are there not enough active FF's out there to make a success of it?

How cool would it be for a competitor to have the option of running a "triple header" late in 2019?

Classifieds Super License marshall9's Avatar
    Liked: 501

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
    This isn't meant as a slight whatsoever, but I'm curious why we haven't seen any mention of a third version of the 50th, to be arranged by the guys on the west coast? (or did I miss it?).
    Are those guys planning to be at RdAm or RdAtl? (seems unlikely in light of all the 'runoffs location' posts).

How cool would it be for a competitor to have the option of running a "triple header" late in 2019?
    Great question. A lot from here (AZ) went to Indy and Road America. I plan on Road Atlanta, as do some others.

If someone wants to put something together, we'll go. No tracks in AZ could handle it. Most likely Les at Willow Springs will, possibly HSR West/SCCA/Pacific 1600 thing. We'll see. Thanks for thinking of us.
    M

Liked: 942

Default Left Coast 50th

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post

Out here on the Left Coast, we did enjoy the Nor West FF Crossflow Cup 50th series of 5 races. We plan to milk this 50th anniversary thing for another two years. Absolutely great fun. We had 43 entries for the CSRG Charity Challenge.

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/...0ford%20series

https://www.facebook.com/search/str/...eywords_search

https://www.norwestff.com/

“Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

11. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information