Liked: 5

Default Fuel system help

Looking into doing something different with the fuel system this off season. I can't make a full 30mins at Road America at full race pace, starts to misfire with about 2-3 laps left. Found out i'm NOT running out of fuel, it's just that the fuel pump cant pick up the rest of the fuel in the cell. You can see in the picture of the fuel cell how much fuel is left (about 2.5 gal) when this starts to happen. I'm thinking of removing the actual fuel pump from the sender assembly and running a tube from the outlet pipe of the fuel sender to the bottom of the fuel cell and using an inline filter, pump, and regulator to supply fuel. This make sense? Suggestions on a quality fuel pump, regulator, and filter size?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fuel System 2.jpg 
Views:	561 
Size:	25.5 KB 
ID:	75033   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fuel System 3.jpg 
Views:	548 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	75034   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fuel System 1.jpg 
Views:	552 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	75035  

Contributing Member
    Liked: 98

Try rotating the pickup tube so it is closer to the bottom of the tank. Also, based on the o-ring on the end of the pickup there is likely a slip-on extension that reaches deeper into the cell.
    M

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Nygard View Post
    Try rotating the pickup tube so it is closer to the bottom of the tank. Also, based on the o-ring on the end of the pickup there is likely a slip-on extension that reaches deeper into the cell.
    M
    That was my first thought but after disassembling the fuel sender I found that the pickup screen is already at the low point. The o-ring on the pipe is where it seals into the outlet of the factory pump.

Liked: 91

You could also install a surge tank. Low pressure electric pump fills the small surge tank and the high pressure pump draws from the bottom of the surge tank which keeps the injectors happy.

Quote Originally Posted by TDI PILOT View Post
    You could also install a surge tank. Low pressure electric pump fills the small surge tank and the high pressure pump draws from the bottom of the surge tank which keeps the injectors happy.
    I have looked into that as well. Richard at Riltech makes a kit to do that BUT I have zero room for the surge tank.

Liked: 280

Collector in the fuel cell with doors to keep fuel around the pickup. FuelSafe will be happy to sell you one.
    Set up properly, you will pick up all the fuel, and I do mean all of it.

Liked: 1397

A couple years ago I had a similar problem with a FC.

We solved the problem with a simple fuel trap in the bottom of the tank.

I made an aluminum, triangular "box that was placed at the rear , center of the tank. The sides were about 3/4" high and sloped inward at 60 degrees or more. The box was maybe 1/3 the length of the tank, front to back. I added a divider, about 2" high, that went from the front of the box to the front of the tank.

The idea of setup was to trap fuel as it was thrown from side to side in the tank. The divider forced the fuel to flow over the sides of the box. The fuel pickup was in the box. We also set the return fuel from injectors to drain above the fuel trap but we had some fuel cell foam to disperse the flow. We originally had trouble with the fuel return forcing the fuel out of the trap.

The system works down to less than 1 gallon remaining in the tank.

Liked: 553

So, you don't think you have room even for a small remote fuel can? It could be like a pint and would still help a lot.

If you can use a low pressure pump to feed a small reservoir, and your high pressure pump gets its fuel from there, you can pretty much get all of the fuel out of the cell (assuming the pickup is at the bottom of the cell).

Some other similar threads:

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/show...ion-for-Gixxer

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/show...7587-fuel-pump

Liked: 41

The Fuel Safe cell in my Stohr had a soft side surge tank in the center of the cell. Fuel from the inlet poured into this surge tank and went over the top of it when the surge tank got full. There were 3 large check valves in the bottom 3 sides of the surge tank (4th side was the outer wall) that let fuel in but not out. Static head pressure kept the surge tank filled which is where the high pressure pump was located. The fuel cell had about a gallon of fuel ullage out of a 8 gallon capacity. When the fuel cell failed last month (4 years and 11 months into its 5 year FIA certification), I pulled the good parts out. If you need the check valves, send me a note.

My AMAC had a fuel pickup on the bottom of the cell without a surge tank but the wedge shape was filled with foam. A Low pressure pump pulled fuel out of the cell and fed a high pressure pump. Fuel then went into the FP regulator and thru a fuel filter to the throttle body. There was 1/2 gallon ullage in the cell.

That fuel cell looks pretty old by the coloring. You might check with Fuel Safe to see if they have changed the internal design.
    Craig Farr
    2006 Stohr WF1 P2
    FARROUT Racing

Classifieds Super License John Robinson II's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default The answer

https://www.summitracing.com/search/...t-fuel-pickups

hydramat. I have one in the swift and it will drain the cell.

john

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson II View Post
    https://www.summitracing.com/search/...t-fuel-pickups

hydramat. I have one in the swift and it will drain the cell.

john
    That was one of my first thoughts, but after disassembling the motorcycle fuel pump assembly i don't see how i'd be able to attach it to the pump pickup.

What type of fitting is on the pump? Don't the motorcycle pumps have a sock type filter on them? The sock type filters are essentially the same as the pickups listed above from Summit, the key is keeping the fuel around the pickup and being sure the pickup is fully on the bottom of the cell.

Since the fuel pump on the bike is mount upside down on the bottom of the tank, the actual pump inlet is at the bottom (about an inch away from the mounting plate) with an inlet screen/filter that snaps onto it. I'll try to get some better pictures of it disassembled to give you a better idea.

I think the HydrMat is my best option if I can figure out how to connect it to the pump.

I am guessing that you will need to make a fitting that will slide onto the end of the pump that takes the place of the sock with a barb fitting on the other end and then run a hose to the hydramat. Not the easiest fitting to make and secure though. It might be possible to come up with a set screw setup to hold it on.
    A stainless hard line to the hydramat wouldn't be the worst idea.
    You still need to keep the fuel on the hydramat which can be a challenge in a low fuel situation during a long corner when the fuel is all up on the sidewall of the cell.

Thread Information