Liked: 9

Default Removing CV joints

My mechanic said he didn't have time to change the inner CV joints on my 90 Van Diemen because they were too stuck. Anyone else run into this problem and have a solution?
    Mark
    1990 Van Diemen, the Racing Machine, CM AutoX, 2016 Frontier
    You can try to make a street car into an autocrosser or you can do a lot less work and make a race car into a great autocrosser

Liked: 942

Quote Originally Posted by mwizard View Post
    My mechanic said he didn't have time to change the inner CV joints on my 90 Van Diemen because they were too stuck. Anyone else run into this problem and have a solution?
    Mark
    Someone may have used sealant on the faces to keep them from leaking grease. I pulled the boot flange away, warmed the joint with a heat gun and used a rubber mallet while turning the wheel.

I put it back together with a thin film of blue hylomar. Doesn't leak.

Regards,
    Dan
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Liked: 121

How much time did your mechanic have available to change them? An experienced with your car mechanic could make surprisingly quick work of it.

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 218

Quote Originally Posted by Nardi View Post
    How much time did your mechanic have available to change them? An experienced with your car mechanic could make surprisingly quick work of it.
    I'm also surprised by the reasoning... it's not usually a particularly time consuming job.
    www.wrenchaholics.com

Rental, Coaching, and Data Analysis for Great Lakes Region

Liked: 15

Was it the CV race 'stick' to the axle splines? ....... Simply use a press to push it off.

Liked: 9

Quote Originally Posted by MotorCade View Post
    I'm also surprised by the reasoning... it's not usually a particularly time consuming job.
    Thanks for all the input. Mechanic was trying to get the car back to me to drive it. I will talk to him for the next time. I do not have a press, so nee his help.
    1990 Van Diemen, the Racing Machine, CM AutoX, 2016 Frontier
    You can try to make a street car into an autocrosser or you can do a lot less work and make a race car into a great autocrosser

Liked: 942

Thanks for all the input. Mechanic was trying to get the car back to me to drive it. I will talk to him for the next time. I do not have a press, so nee his help.
    I'm not sure why one would need a press to disassemble a CV joint from a hub or the axle.

Regards,
    Dan
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Liked: 73

The job is easy. Do it several times per season on 1991 VD FC.

Aaron

Liked: 80

Hey Mark,

I laid down my CV joint on top of a vice with some rags and tap the axle out with a light hammer and punch very easy.

Ben

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 413

Sort of an argument for regular maintenance, no?
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

12. The following 4 users liked this post:

Thread Information