Liked: 1

Default Solution to wind lifting/buffeting helmet in Radical SR3?

Hi all. First day out with the SR3 yesterday and I'm still grinning. Joy and giddiness aside the wind lifting my helmet at speeds over 110 mph was borderline unsafe. It was absolutely affecting my driving and by the end of the straight it was all I could do to see to concentrate on the braking zone. Not good.

I'm assuming there might be a wind deflector part to mount to the cockpit ahead of the driver available from Radical? I was also curious about helmet spoilers and if they might be helpful? I have a new Sparco RF-7W with no spoilers of any sort but too late now to buy another lid. If they're worthwhile I might be able to find a stick on set for mine. Sitting lower in the cockpit would surely help but at the detriment of my vision. Not sure I want to sacrifice that nor have another foam seat insert made to do so.

I was just curious how you folks have solved this problem on your cars? Lastly, wow do these cars take a toll on the ears! I put in foam ear plugs halfway through the day but my hearing is still off the day after. Might have to look into some molded ear plugs if they are a thing.

Thanks as always and here is a gratuitous pic from the day attached.

-Andrew
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RLB_3923JPG.jpg 
Views:	339 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	74640  

Liked: 447

By the looks of it, you could afford to scooch down some. Sit lower in the car.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Liked: 138

Never had an issue in my SR3 with my helmet. Sit a little lower if you can, you don't need to see the car just the track, look far ahead.

As far as ear plugs, yes absolutely custom molded plugs are more comfortable and work great. I have ones I also hook up for radio I bought them from acscustom

Liked: 212

I believe sparco makes add on spoilers for under the chin area and on top towards back.. this will help you some.. but as others have said.. you look to sit high in the car.

To start maybe sand down the seat some instead of making new seat right away this way you can experiment some then make a new seat when you are comfortable
    Cheers
    Len

Porsche River Oaks. Houston

Interesting, so none of you folks are running a wind deflector or helmet spoilers? I'm sure I could certainly trim my bead foam seat insert and get lower but I love my visibility! haha.

Are the molded ear plugs things something you make at home with a kit?

You have a foam insert in the radical seat? I just sat directly in the seat and I'm only 5'8 But I could see it for further side support as it wasn't great.

As far as molded plugs, you can get kits on amazon or ebay to do it cheap. But you can go to costco and spend $50 and get a set that are durable and professionally done.

Liked: 1403

I had similar problem with the body work on some of my Citations. I solved the problem with a horizontal plate that extended forward from the upper rim of the cowl. Stuck forward about 1". This also helped in rain races.

Liked: 530

Get lower in the car!
    Stilo has an "Indy aero kit" - I use it and it helped stabilize my helmet in PFM. Chin spoiler add on makes a good difference. I also put a 1" tall windscreen on my PFM.
    Last edited by mikey; 10.30.17 at 9:04 PM.

I'm trying to find a pic for you but your head should be lower than the intake. Also the reason it's so loud.

Liked: 110

Default Buffeting at speed

I am sure a lower seat position will fix your problem but I had a similar problem. I changed helmets to a Bell Dominator that has the chin lip and the top Gurney style lip. I have no shares in Bell but it was a night and day difference in both general buffeting and helmet lifting. One of their ads says

The Dominator.2 features an ultra-lightweight carbon composite shell and retains the traditional Dominator chin bar vents and aero gurneys that are designed into the shell. The Dominator.2's aerodynamic elements enhance helmet performance by providing greater stability and reduced helmet lift at higher speeds. The wicker gurneys built into the side and top of the shell create an air separation point on the top of the helmet to allow airflow to detach from the helmet reducing buffeting. The helmets front lip gurney and angled chin bar vents add down force to the front of the helmet to prevent lift and improve overall helmet stability.

Somewhere (?where), you can buy stick on bits for the top of your helmet; this would be cheaper ($30 vs $500) than a new helmet.

Liked: 141

Sit lower - if you can.
    If not then add a wind deflector to the car.
    I simply don't understand people who have their head sticking up in the full blast of the air stream.
    I like my line of sight no more than 1/4" above the deflector.

Liked: 447

Quote Originally Posted by dereklola View Post
    I simply don't understand people who have their head sticking up in the full blast of the air stream.
    I like my line of sight no more than 1/4" above the deflector.
    It turns your head into a human knuckleball! I do have to admit that when I first got into a formula car, I preferred to see the as much of front of the car possible like when sitting in a street car. Just something I was used to. I eventually got used to sitting where I could only see the top of the front tires and that's it. It's a comfort thing.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Liked: 210

Quote Originally Posted by AWay View Post
    ......Lastly, wow do these cars take a toll on the ears! I put in foam ear plugs halfway through the day but my hearing is still off the day after. Might have to look into some molded ear plugs if they are a thing. Thanks as always and here is a gratuitous pic from the day attached. -Andrew
    Take care of this problem NOW! It took just two shots to leave me 'near deaf' at 74.

The first was a round from a 300 WIN MAG in the stall next to me at the rifle range. Single round destroyed the hearing in my left ear. Second was standing at an in door shooting range when a guy fired off a 357 Magnum round about 12 feet from me. Took out the right ear just a little less then the left one was. Trust me hearing is something worth protecting.
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

- - - wow do these cars take a toll on the ears!
    Where is the noise coming from?

When I first got my F3000 I was amazed at the noise level directly attacking my ears (I did use molded earplugs and waterproof bandaids over my ears but still a very loud ambient in the driver's seat - and a different noise than the open exhausts when standing next to the car). Then I retarded the ignition 2deg - boy what a difference - almost limo like by comparison - the noise was from the intake not exhaust.

Yes comes from the intake in the SR3. Sitting lower solves the noise as well as it's over your head more then at ear level.

Still need plugs.

Have 'Decibullz' molded earplugs on the way from Amazon, so hopefully they help a bit. Yes the noise is coming from the intake for sure.

I called Sparco and they don't offer any spoilers for the new RF-7W but say they have them listed in their 2018 catalog just not available yet. I see Stilo does offer that 'indy aero kit' however that is obviously for a Stilo helmet and unsure if they would fit my Sparco. Although they sure do look fairly universal. Almost like a bunch of little stick on canards. https://store.windingroad.com/stilo-...kit-p2062.aspx

I don't know how to go about 'shaving' down my foam seat so I sit lower, perhaps a dremel. Sounds like a messy proposition but will look into it. I probably made my position too high to begin with when forming the seat, but as someone else said it was a comfort thing coming from closed cockpit cars.

Still haven't found a the little aero screen that supposedly goes in front of the driver from Radical. A parts dealer told me they offered the part but didn't give much other info.

And another photo of my helmet height in car for reference.

Name:	RLB_4506JPG.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	74643  

Contributing Member hdsporty1988's Avatar
    Liked: 193

Default Aero help

You might want to check out the Bell items at Pegasus. They look like they would also for other helmets.

Liked: 553

I don't know how to go about 'shaving' down my foam seat so I sit lower, perhaps a dremel. Sounds like a messy proposition but will look into it. I probably made my position too high to begin with when forming the seat, but as someone else said it was a comfort thing coming from closed cockpit cars.
    I recently went through this. Made a seat and wanted an inch or two under my butt. That turned out to be too thick. I would not have passed a broomstick test. I went back and cut an inch off the bottom and other places so it was more laid back, but I really need to (and will) make a new seat this winter, with maybe .5" (or nothing?) under my butt, trying to get my head as low as possible.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Ah. Is the foam material a bear to shave down or cut? My guys already taped the seat up all nice too...

I order both the Stilo Indy kit from Winding Road and the Bell rear spoiler from Pegasus. We'll see which work with my helmet once they arrive.

From that front picture it doesn't look like you are crazy high.

It sounds like you are missing this piece of the car.

https://www.radicalonline.co.uk/prod...Deflector.html

Liked: 553

Ah. Is the foam material a bear to shave down or cut? My guys already taped the seat up all nice too...
    Not too bad. I used a kitchen serrated knife. It cut fine, but serrated knives tend to curve rather than cut straight. I considered going to Walmart to get an electric carving knife, but don't know if that would have been better. A hacksaw blade might work, too.

Tell the guys who made your seat they screwed up and need to redo it. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesbe View Post
    From that front picture it doesn't look like you are crazy high.

It sounds like you are missing this piece of the car.

https://www.radicalonline.co.uk/prod...Deflector.html
    I have very few points of reference for the height. I’ll just google some photos and see where others are positioned.

That carbon piece is for the older bodywork cars I believe. Mine is a 2013 with the higher nose.

I was envisioning basically a small lexan gurney flap in front of the drivers side. Maybe I’m mistaken on what’s available.

Contributing Member hdsporty1988's Avatar
    Liked: 193

Default Hot knife.

Most of the bead seat companies recommend using a hot knife for trimming and shaping. Harbor freight has a cheapy one for $19.95.

Andrew

Experiment with aluminum or lexan and refine it later

Looks to me like you need a screen/defector about 3" high to your right and maybe 5" to your left.
    Looks like a major omission from Radical not to have this covered for tall or high sitting drivers.

Many modern cars (including F1) have the inner flange of of the cockpit cowl a nice flat, vertical surface to which one can easily fasten an adjustable vertical deflector. If you can't do this on your Radical then just use angle brackets on the cowl outer surface - or some bent aluminum strips from whatever surface is available inside the cockpit.

The carbon fiber deflector Radical seem to be starting to offer just looks like a high profit accessory which may or may not actually do what you want.

Once you've driven behind an effective deflector you'll never want to drive with your head in the airstream again.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 269

Have 'Decibullz' molded earplugs on the way from Amazon, so hopefully they help a bit. Yes the noise is coming from the intake for sure.

I called Sparco and they don't offer any spoilers for the new RF-7W but say they have them listed in their 2018 catalog just not available yet. I see Stilo does offer that 'indy aero kit' however that is obviously for a Stilo helmet and unsure if they would fit my Sparco. Although they sure do look fairly universal. Almost like a bunch of little stick on canards. https://store.windingroad.com/stilo-...kit-p2062.aspx

Still haven't found a the little aero screen that supposedly goes in front of the driver from Radical. A parts dealer told me they offered the part but didn't give much other info.

And another photo of my helmet height in car for reference.
    Your helmet doesn't fit correctly. I enlarged the picture and it is cocked to the right and I can almost see your hairline above your forehead. Tilt the helmet down to where the eye port is just above your eyebrows and tighten the strap. I think air is getting under your helmet. You also look like you are sitting forward, get your head back against the headrest to stabilize it if you can. These are things that didn't matter in a closed cockpit, but look on the bright side, no more 200* plus cockpit temps!

Robby

That sounded simple but was actually sage advice. I just put my helmet back on and tilted it down before tightening the strap and it made a decent difference. I tried to pull it up off my head and it was much tighter. I have my balaclava on in the photo so I'd be surprised if you could see my hairline but point taken for sure, thanks! You're right as well, things I didn't even think of in closed cockpit...

Contributing Member
    Liked: 210

Default Horizontal you say?

Quote Originally Posted by S Lathrop View Post
    I had similar problem with the body work on some of my Citations. I solved the problem with a horizontal plate that extended forward from the upper rim of the cowl. Stuck forward about 1". This also helped in rain races.
    Interesting approach. I think most folks instinctively put a vertical plate at this location.

I'd originally envisioned something like this. Not the fancy shark tooth style of course but a simple vertical flap to disturb the air.

Name:	f1-austrian-gp-2017-mercedes-amg-f1-f1-w08-cockpit-detail.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	134.4 KB 
ID:	74670  

Liked: 16

I had the exact same problem and it took a while to finally fix it. First, I added a clear spoiler to the back of my helmet (I have a carbon Bell GP3) which helped a bit. But the thing that made the biggest difference was adding a piece of Lexan plastic that is about 12” wide and sticks up vertically about 1” ... like a small wind shield. This causes the air flow to be diverted above your head. Contact the Parts guys at Spring Mountain and they can get you one. Also, if you like your helmet I would recommend having clear wrap added to the front. Also, use tear offs to protect your face shield. It is amazing how much hits your helmet...

Also, as others have said, it is beneficial to be as low as possible in the car. It feels strange at first but you will get used to it.

Charley
    Last edited by CharleyH; 10.30.17 at 9:54 PM.

I had a Radical parts department send me a photo of the cowl deflector. (attached) It appears a bit longer than the one in your photo Charley (unless you trimmed yours?) but same concept I suppose. I'm going to order this and give it a whirl. Installs with small screws/nuts directly to the cowl. I suppose one could easily make this from Lexan at HD or Lowes and perhaps even more intricate shapes/sizes. Perhaps my fancy F1 sharktooth example could be a reality after all.

Name:	file (1).jpeg 
Views:	272 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	74679  

Liked: 16

I think it just looks different because of the angle the picture was taken... they are the same part. I purchased mine from Spring Mountain. They are easy to install with pop rivets. You can also make one from lexan. My original one cracked after a year or two, so I traced it on some Home Depot lexan and now cut my own.

Charley

Thread Information