Thread: Sadev Gearbox

Liked: 218

Default Sadev Gearbox

We just debuted the Sadev gearbox last weekend at the Fall Sprints at Blackhawk. It performed flawlessly (although to be honest, the Elite in the other car did as well). Top speed was virtually identical on the long straight. The times he ran were very similar to the times he ran at an August tire test. When asked how the gearbox worked, he just had a big grin. That was a huge difference from the old box. The installation was very straightforward and easy to do. I did a "manual" for the swap if anyone is interested.
    Competition One Racing
    racer6@mchsi.com

2. The following 4 users liked this post:

Liked: 45

Quote Originally Posted by SStadel View Post
    We just debuted the Sadev gearbox last weekend at the Fall Sprints at Blackhawk. It performed flawlessly (although to be honest, the Elite in the other car did as well). Top speed was virtually identical on the long straight. The times he ran were very similar to the times he ran at an August tire test. When asked how the gearbox worked, he just had a big grin. That was a huge difference from the old box. The installation was very straightforward and easy to do. I did a "manual" for the swap if anyone is interested.
    Killer!!!!

Liked: 309

Default Sadev Gearbox

Which Sadev gearbox is it, and has it been officially approved for FE? I don't see anything about it on Enterprise's website. Thanks
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Its the SL75 LW. The rules are being written. We were testing the box and will be testing it again this weekend.
    Competition One Racing
    racer6@mchsi.com

Liked: 447

Is there pricing yet?
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Its the SL75 LW. The rules are being written. We were testing the box and will be testing it again this weekend.
    Thanks Steve, and like Keith I am interested in pricing. Please post the installation manual. Thanks, Stan
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Robey will be sending you info over the next couple of days.
    Competition One Racing
    racer6@mchsi.com

9. The following 2 users liked this post:

Stan, I think I was able to attach the instructions.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Competition One Racing
    racer6@mchsi.com

11. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 10

The second gear box was on my car. The race was a 50 lap race at Blackhawk Farms. The gearbox was very nice. Very positive engagement on up shifts, no missed shifts or double up or downshifts. The six speed did not appear to have any advantage over the 5 speed at Blackhawk It might have been a slight disadvantage in the fact that it needed and extra downshift or you would lug a little in 7 and 1. Although I need to shift so soon on both of the corners with a little more testing we might find it was unnecessary to shift and the split second of lugging would have been just as fast. For that matter someone who carries more speed than I do might have found the extra downshift completely unnecessary.

The best part in my opinion is I am not tearing apart the gearbox this weekend.

Mat

13. The following 3 users liked this post:

Stan, I think I was able to attach the instructions.
    Thanks!
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Liked: 53

We just tested our new Sadev gearbox over the weekend at Carolina Motorsports Park. That thing is awesome!! I didn't have one blown shift. Nothing close to a false-neutral, double-up, or double-down. With the old gearbox, it was very common for me to have problems at CMP. There's a section of track that's a sweeping right-hander that crosses over the old configuration. The car gets light and loose right when I need to shift to 4th. I would miss a shift often in this area (I would obviously do things to mitigate the problem). Now, with the new gearbox, I can drive right through it and shift when I need to without the slightest hint of a problem. Also, I got no wheel-hop when botching a blip on the downshift. I also feel like it takes less effort to grab a gear. This is something I need to get used to. With the old box, I had to pull back hard and say a prayer in order to get the next gear. With this new one, there's minimal effort needed and it can be trusted that you're getting the next gear.

Also, when comparing speed traces between the two gearboxes at CMP, the speeds are identical. The biggest difference I found was reliability and comfort that I was going to get the next gear I needed every time I went for a gear change; up or down. I am super happy with the upgrade and wish we did this a long time ago!!
    Paul Schneider SEDiv FE 73
    www.facebook.com/paulschneiderracing

16. The following 3 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License marshall9's Avatar
    Liked: 501

Do they use LD200 ratios, or others?

Liked: 977

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Schneider View Post
    We just tested our new Sadev gearbox over the weekend at Carolina Motorsports Park. That thing is awesome!! I didn't have one blown shift. Nothing close to a false-neutral, double-up, or double-down. With the old gearbox, it was very common for me to have problems at CMP. There's a section of track that's a sweeping right-hander that crosses over the old configuration. The car gets light and loose right when I need to shift to 4th. I would miss a shift often in this area (I would obviously do things to mitigate the problem). Now, with the new gearbox, I can drive right through it and shift when I need to without the slightest hint of a problem. Also, I got no wheel-hop when botching a blip on the downshift. I also feel like it takes less effort to grab a gear. This is something I need to get used to. With the old box, I had to pull back hard and say a prayer in order to get the next gear. With this new one, there's minimal effort needed and it can be trusted that you're getting the next gear.

Also, when comparing speed traces between the two gearboxes at CMP, the speeds are identical. The biggest difference I found was reliability and comfort that I was going to get the next gear I needed every time I went for a gear change; up or down. I am super happy with the upgrade and wish we did this a long time ago!!
    sounds like a "must have" piece of hardware! What is the price on the new box?

Liked: 799

Quote Originally Posted by marshall9 View Post
    Do they use LD200 ratios, or others?
    info.usa@sadev-tm.com

Liked: 126

I have the distributor pricing.

Liked: 126

Liked: 52

Default Sadev pricing

Quote Originally Posted by John LaRue View Post
    From SCCA-E:
    SADEV Transaxle Kit: WM1170003
    6 Speed Open Differential
    Key Components: No Lift and Auto Blip shift capabilities, Drive Axles, Tripods, Shifter Cable, Rear Wing Brackets.
    $9500

Pricing good through 6/30/2018

Also, for reference, FE2 2.0L MZR Motor Kit: WM1180003, 2.0L MZR, Dry Sump w Internal Oil Pump, Jenvey TB,P.E. ECU 2.0, G2 Engine Harness, SCCA Intake, Alternator = $9000.

And, 2.3L Jenvey Throttle Body Upgrade Kit: WM1159130, P.E. ECU 2.3, Jenvey TB, G2 Engine Harness. (Price adjustments, TBD, will be given to a future 2.0L MZR upgrade) = $2500.

Liked: 53

Quote Originally Posted by John LaRue View Post
    I wouldn't say it's a must-have. There doesn't appear to be a competitive advantage. If you're not having issues with the old gearbox, then there's really no need to change. Also, the price is $9500.
    Paul Schneider SEDiv FE 73
    www.facebook.com/paulschneiderracing

Liked: 45

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Schneider View Post

Wonderful news!

Paul, I'm glad your experience with the new box was the same that we had with our two. Should take away drama if nothing else.
    Competition One Racing
    racer6@mchsi.com

Liked: 59

Steve,
    Thanks so much for posting installation procedures. I'm looking forward to performing them soon!

Merry Christmas to you and Dana,
    Eric
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.
    - Ted Williams

27. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 146

I was fortunate enough to sample the prototype upgraded car at the aforementioned BHF test. It performed very well. I set a smidge slower lap time with it compared to the old car, but it wasn't dialed in perfectly and I had some squashed duffle bags for a seat. The Sadev upshifts were butter. I did notice that if I didn't get a good enough blip, I couldn't get a downshift no matter how hard I pushed the lever. Maybe a new-car thing. It was nice to know it wouldn't let you get it caught between gears. And I have a good blip for a right-foot braker, or Steve wouldn't let me drive the car.

The new engine was very nice. Higher revs, less torque. The kids will like it, it will feel and sound like a modern race car. I think the performance of the old and new combos--or any mix-and-match of them--will be very similar, which is a rare coup. I will speculate that the new car might be quicker by a noticeable margin at Road America. It will be right in the meat of 3rd gear in all the medium corners. Plus it will sound awesome banging down from 6th to 2nd in turn 5.
    Dale V.
    Lake Effect Motorsports
    FM
    Spartan VP-2/Mazda

I'm designing a wall that goes between the throttle pedal and the brake pedal so you have to at least TRY to left foot brake! Besides that 1+ second per lap will make you look like a rock star! This coming from an old fat right foot braker that saw the light through the stained glass windows. "The left foot, Elwood, the left foot"
    Competition One Racing
    racer6@mchsi.com

Liked: 146

I'm a heel-and-toer. I'm out and I'm proud. Our flag is a right-foot racing shoe rocking back and forth on a brake petal over a rainbow of colors.

Franchitti and I are co-grand marshals of the Heel-and-Toe Pride Parade next year.
    Dale V.
    Lake Effect Motorsports
    FM
    Spartan VP-2/Mazda

Default Gear oil level

How does one check the gear oil level, after the initial fill? During drain, an imprecise amount comes out, as I understand it, and a little bit remains. Is there a fill line in the internal casting, or some other visual method? Hewland 1-knuckle-method doesn't work with the fill on top.

We use the drain plug below the diff. There's one on each side. The left one is easier as there's no exhaust in the way. Then we add 2 quarts. We do this after every weekend. It doesn't leak and we get almost nothing out of the overflow, so to answer your question, we don't check the level.
    Competition One Racing
    racer6@mchsi.com

33. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 14

We use the drain plug below the diff. There's one on each side. The left one is easier as there's no exhaust in the way. Then we add 2 quarts. We do this after every weekend. It doesn't leak and we get almost nothing out of the overflow, so to answer your question, we don't check the level.

Good Morning,

This gearbox is in both the Tatuus USF-17 USF-2000 car and the Ligier Pro SCCA US F4 car. The Sadev SL75LW Gearbox Manual says 1.3L capacity of 75W-140 oil. I have not seen any wear issues with the 6 gearboxes that I have worked on in 2 years of use.

I am interested in hearing the reason for the extra 0.7L in this class. Have you guys found wear inside the box? What parts?

Jon Updegrove
    610-509-7321
    Jonupdegroveracing@gmail.com
    -Head MRTI Indy Lights Mechanic: -Head SCCA USF4 Mechanic
    -Lead Cape Motorsports Mechanic: -Head PWC Audi R8 Mechanic
    -Lead IMSA LMP2 Mechanic

The case is different to accommodate our bell housing and suspension. Whether that requires more lube or not, I don't know. We haven't seen wear as our boxes are sealed. We were told to open them up after 10,000 kilometers (6,200 miles) or basically 3 years of club racing.
    Competition One Racing
    racer6@mchsi.com

Liked: 14

So if there is no leakage and no overflow, why do you have to add 2 quarts after each weekend? Does the gearbox “burn” the oil?
    Andrew M. Cross, Jr.

Liked: 1870

Try reading his post again, Drew.

Vancouver at heart but Adelaide is where you'll find me
    Liked: 15

Default 82-14

I see there are many knowledgeable people on this thread, does anyone have a manual on the Sadev 82-14 gearbox ?

Liked: 77

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    I see there are many knowledgeable people on this thread, does anyone have a manual on the Sadev 82-14 gearbox ?

http://www.sadev-tm.com/en/gearboxes...s/2wdl/?pid=91

http://www.letmegooglethat.com/

Actually ours is this one, Joe: SL75-14LW

http://www.sadev-tm.com/en/gearboxes.../2wdl/?pid=218

And they only have one sheet of "Tech Data" - that I can find at least. I've heard someone has a real manual. I need one since I have three of these. LOL When I get it, I'll post it.

Best regards,
    Eric
    - Ted Williams

I received a copy of the technical manual over the weekend in .pdf. Its file-size is too large to upload here, but if anyone wants to PM me with an email address, I'd be happy to email it.

Every other page is French. I made an English-only version by deleting all of the even-numbered pages. If only the rest of the world were so simple...

Best regards,
    Eric
    - Ted Williams

Default CV bolt tightening torque

Since I couldn't find the information elsewhere... what is the tightening torque for the inner CV bolts (and is it the same for both types of bolts)?

Thread Information