Liked: 85

Default Formula Ford 50th on the West Coast?

So far I see there are proposed FF 50th's at Road America and Road Atlanta; there was a 40th in California so will there be a 50th on the West coast?
    I was in the 50th at IMS this year (65 entered, 45 qualified and 35 started), fantastic event that celebrated the first race in England. Of course being at Indianapolis made it special and seeing as I couldn't make it to Brands Hatch!
    There seems to be some debate over where the first US FF race took place; the first SCCA National event was recorded at Daytona. I'm sure there are other claims so let's here them gentlemen !!!

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 492

Keith,
    It is widely accepted that the first FF race in the US was March 23, 1969.
    That is not to say there were not FF's running in SCCA events previously but they were not an accepted class and therefore could only run as FB cars which also had a 1,600cc displacement limit.
    Given they were competing against cars powered by, generally, the Lotus Ford Twincam, at that time maybe 165 HP vs the Cortinas 100 plus/minus, they were field fillers but gave their owners good reliable seat time.
    In fact at that first race at Willow Springs they ran in a mixed class race and the best FF finished 8th, according to Steve Nickless's wondrous history of the class book, The Anatomy and Development of the Ford Race Car [long out of print but copies appear on apexspeed being offered for sale occasionally and are highly recommended reads ].
    The winning Lotus 51B, driven in 1968 by Jules Williams, latterly Automotive Developments and many other single seater projects, is still being raced in many vintage FF races and is now owned by Roland Johnson, unless he has since sold it on, who ran the car at, I believe both the 20th of FF at Willow, and for sure he was at the 40th at Road America.
    So Keith, the middle of the country has the Road America 50th and the east coast has the Road Atlanta 50th, guess you west coasters need to create one out there !

Liked: 1112

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Rand View Post
    So Keith, the middle of the country has the Road America 50th and the east coast has the Road Atlanta 50th, guess you west coasters need to create one out there !
    I think you just said Willow Springs would be THE 50th.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Thanks Michael.
    SCCA Nationals at Daytona were in November of 1969.
    So, logically the West coast race should be at Willow Springs; the track has a heralded history and claims to be one of the oldest race tracks in America! Plus it's a thousand miles closer than Road America!!

Keith,
    It is widely accepted that the first FF race in the US was March 23, 1969.
    That is not to say there were not FF's running in SCCA events previously but they were not an accepted class and therefore could only run as FB cars which also had a 1,600cc displacement limit.
    Given they were competing against cars powered by, generally, the Lotus Ford Twincam, at that time maybe 165 HP vs the Cortinas 100 plus/minus, they were field fillers but gave their owners good reliable seat time.
    In fact at that first race at Willow Springs they ran in a mixed class race and the best FF finished 8th, according to Steve Nickless's wondrous history of the class book, The Anatomy and Development of the Ford Race Car [long out of print but copies appear on apexspeed being offered for sale occasionally and are highly recommended reads ].
    The winning Lotus 51B, driven in 1968 by Jules Williams, latterly Automotive Developments and many other single seater projects, is still being raced in many vintage FF races and is now owned by Roland Johnson, unless he has since sold it on, who ran the car at, I believe both the 20th of FF at Willow, and for sure he was at the 40th at Road America.

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 492

Keith,
    While I don't quite follow the logic regarding Willow and Daytona [ I was an FC alternate at Daytona in 1969, having been 4th or 5th in National points in the Northeast Division in the days we raced all season to finish in the top 3 to earn an invitation to the runoffs....] but yeah, Willow would be great as a west coast 50th of FF celebration.
    You have two years to organize it, best get started !

I think I just did!

Keith,
    While I don't quite follow the logic regarding Willow and Daytona [ I was an FC alternate at Daytona in 1969, having been 4th or 5th in National points in the Northeast Division in the days we raced all season to finish in the top 3 to earn an invitation to the runoffs....] but yeah, Willow would be great as a west coast 50th of FF celebration.
    You have two years to organize it, best get started !

Classifieds Super License marshall9's Avatar
    Liked: 501

I am in and bet we will have 10 there from AZ too.

Liked: 490

The Lotus 51 that won the first Ford race belongs to the Jaques family in the San Diego area. just get to prepare it and drive it for the family. Vern Jaques, who has passed away, was one of the first Vintage people on the West Coast to start racing a Vintage Formula Ford. At the 20th FF reunion at Willow Springs (put together by Paul Phanner of Racer Magazine) Vern discovered from Jules Williams that the Lotus he bought was that winning car. Vern and Katie Jaques (who still works the occasional race) were long time SCCA stalwarts. Vern raced Jaguars and a Lotus 7 in the early days.
    Roland Johnson
    San Diego, Ca

Thread Information