Classifieds Super License swiftdrivr's Avatar
    Liked: 673

Default FF 50th at Road Atlanta

Am I the only one who didn't get the message?
    Runoffs at VIR AND the 50th at Road Atlanta?Awesome!!
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

2. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 105

Default Run offs

Quote Originally Posted by swiftdrivr View Post
    Am I the only one who didn't get the message?
    Runoffs at VIR AND the 50th at Road Atlanta?Awesome!!
    OK count me in as another person that has not heard about the location of the 2019 Runoffs. I have no intention of dragging my gear over the Rockies to play next year. However I did get bitten by the Runoffs bug at my first runoffs race in 2014 at Daytona. So I would like to attend in 2019.

So is the 2019 runoff location officially confirmed at VIR?

How about the 50th FF anniversary race is this confirmed at Atlanta and when is it? I would also like to make this race.

Jim sorry about your luck at the SIC. What happened to your car?
    Hartley MacDonald
    2006 Van Dieman RF06

When I tried to go out after the black flag, the car wouldn't start [again]. I think it ended up being an electrical short in the new battery, but after a full day of trying to fix the car, and with the weather threat and my "thou shalt not race in the rain" pre-nuptual, I bailed. I changed the battery [among other things] and it ran fine at VIR, so I'm wishing I'd stuck it out.
    VIR isn't official, from what I know. Road Atlanta is, but I don't know the dates. I think it is likely to be the first weekend in November. I am super excited about both events, as I love VIR, and had a blast at the 40th, and Road Atlanta is a great track, even without the great and never to be forgotten "dip"!
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Liked: 341

Quote Originally Posted by swiftdrivr View Post
    When I tried to go out after the black flag, the car wouldn't start [again]. I think it ended up being an electrical short in the new battery, but after a full day of trying to fix the car, and with the weather threat and my "thou shalt not race in the rain" pre-nuptual, I bailed. I changed the battery [among other things] and it ran fine at VIR, so I'm wishing I'd stuck it out.
    VIR isn't official, from what I know. Road Atlanta is, but I don't know the dates. I think it is likely to be the first weekend in November. I am super excited about both events, as I love VIR, and had a blast at the 40th, and Road Atlanta is a great track, even without the great and never to be forgotten "dip"!

I wanted to go to the ARRC this year. With the Right Coast Formula F as well as SCCA FF, it would make the long drive worth it (plus I really want to run Road Atlanta). Unfortunately, this year is not to be. But with a 50th celebration, lots of FF cars/drivers and lots of track time on a track where I am bound to bring home a souvenir (no, I am not predicting being on the podium but I am predicting at least one off and bringing home some red Georgia clay that as I understand it, I will be picking out of the car for decades to come... oh the memories ), I may make the long trek east (plus I have two years to come up with excuses not to).

I do have to ask, why the "thou shalt not race in the rain" prenuptial? I hope you got something else really good in that bargain because if racing = fun, then racing + rain = indescribable ecstasy. It is even better if you do it on slicks. Imagine your FF feeling like it has 1,000 hP. Learning every nuance of the track (because if you don't, you will find every nuance of everything off the track). I guess I am lucky that being from So. Cal. I have to be willing to race in the rain with the constant deluge of it that we get here.

Eric (just singing in the rain) Little

6. The following 2 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 492

Gents,
    I refer you to Joe Marcinski's post a few days ago, in this very forum, dated 10/13, concerning this years ARRC and touching on the announced 50th of FF celebration at the ARRC in 2019.
    While still just over two years away now is the time to begin long range planning and scheduling.
    This event broke the radar screen several months ago and as time goes on we will post updates as appropriate.
    Hartley, come on up in two weeks, we have both a 50 miler on Saturday with FV/5 and a stand alone FF/CF qually and another 50 miler Sunday.

8. The following members LIKED this post:

Eric,

When Kelly agreed to put up with me for eternity, she asked that I not ride motorcycles or fly light planes, as she wanted me around for awhile. I'm an ER doc, so bikes lose their allure after seeing the end results of motorcycle vs X on a regular basis, so that was easy. I'd fuss about flying, but can't afford fast planes, and slow ones weren't worth the fight. Then, long after we were married, the third pre-nuptual condition came about when [to quote the lady] "I found out just how crazy you are!" Discussion of physics, velocity relative to available traction, etc. have failed to alter that decision. But, what I get out of the bargain is a great wife, who has been my "crew" for 28 years, and who buckles me in and who makes sure I eat on race weekends. She also "didn't notice" that I failed to come off track when it began to rain mid-race at the 40th. I like racing in the rain, but don't really have a repair budget, and I've gotten used to having Kelly around, so I am okay with the deal.

You really need to come to Road Atlanta. Yes, red clay is more permanent than a government "entitlement" program, but it's not nearly as noxious. I'll tell you stories about that if you come by [my car is easy to spot] The track is second only to VIR as racer-heaven, and the FF history there is so thick you can slice it with a knife. Add hundreds of FF fanatics, and Formula Fords of every make and vintage, and it will be something you will remember forever. Drop by for an IBC! {BYOB if you want stronger stuff, but Kelly will probably have some southern cooking to go with which ever you choose.]
    Jim
    Swift DB-1

10. The following 2 users liked this post:

Default Road Atlanta

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Rand View Post
    Gents,
    I refer you to Joe Marcinski's post a few days ago, in this very forum, dated 10/13, concerning this years ARRC and touching on the announced 50th of FF celebration at the ARRC in 2019.
    While still just over two years away now is the time to begin long range planning and scheduling.
    This event broke the radar screen several months ago and as time goes on we will post updates as appropriate.
    Hartley, come on up in two weeks, we have both a 50 miler on Saturday with FV/5 and a stand alone FF/CF qually and another 50 miler Sunday.
    Yes Michael I have been thinking about coming to the ARRC this year as I have never raced before at Road Atlanta. The place has more mystique to me than Indy which I passed on. I am currently trying to scrape together crew to go to the ARRC. Even my wife who has never missed any of my races has unbreakable plans. I recently removed my Honda engine from my DB1 and installed it in my DB6. So I guess I will come with something old and somehing new! Last race, funny enough, I had something borrowed and blue! It was Larry Hendrickson's blue engine side panel after mine disserted me at turn 9 at Roebling after I tried to take a tighter line over the pit entry curbing. Never do that again and you can see the result below!!. Of course at least 2 cars drove over it! I asked my body man if he could repair it and he has yet to reply. So the car is finally ready after fixing many bugs that surfaced at the SIC. I had only 12 test laps at Homestead and Daytona with the Kent engine that came with the car after buying it from Sean Guthrie of Albequerque, NM. Then I installed the Honda engine and towed it to Savannah! What was I thinking?! I was sure careful preparation would trump the unforseen...NOT!! But we did manage to finish the race after a lot of frantic work in the paddock. My crew were heroic working tirelessly ie. stuck throttle 3 times, actually maybe I was heroic to get back in the car!! Problems with the clutch, failed fuel pump, leaking fuel bladder, again who was the hero?! Broken engine side panel, ok that was self induced!

I have to say that I love my old DB1 and have thoroughly enjoyed racing it for 4 years but I have to admit the DB6 is a proper race car! It is so stable under braking, going over bumps etc. I just feel bad leaving the old DB1 in the garage as if I am cheating on her by running away with the DB6!

OK this has turned into a ramble! Hope to see you all at Atlanta! A special shout out to Michael Crowe at Crowe Composites for building and shipping me a new engine panel in record time! Thanks Michael now I have no excuses left to avoid the ARRC!!

Hartley MacDonald
    2006 Van Dieman RF06

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Hartley,
    while we have not met, at least that I recall, come on up to Road Atlanta and join the fun !
    It's a great group of competitors and you'll be welcomed as all are.
    I look forward to meeting you and sharing the track, though I'll likely only be in position to wave as you and the DB6 fly past !

Default Arrc

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Rand View Post
    Hartley,
    while we have not met, at least that I recall, come on up to Road Atlanta and join the fun !
    It's a great group of competitors and you'll be welcomed as all are.
    I look forward to meeting you and sharing the track, though I'll likely only be in position to wave as you and the DB6 fly past !
    OK I am in.

Questions:

I am bringing a motor home and stacker trailer. Is there room in the paddock to set up intact with a 10 x 20 tent or do I need to split the rig and camp in the infield? Is there power available in the paddock? 50 amp? I will be there for the Thursday test day. Are there any driving instuctors with 2 seat cars? First time on the track so I need all the help I can get! Otherwise does anyone have a good ff video to share? Data?
    Hartley MacDonald
    2006 Van Dieman RF06

Liked: 341

Quote Originally Posted by Hartley View Post
    OK I am in.

Questions:

I am bringing a motor home and stacker trailer. Is there room in the paddock to set up intact with a 10 x 20 tent or do I need to split the rig and camp in the infield? Is there power available in the paddock? 50 amp? I will be there for the Thursday test day. Are there any driving instuctors with 2 seat cars? First time on the track so I need all the help I can get! Otherwise does anyone have a good ff video to share? Data?

Video from Derek Ketchie.

https://youtu.be/6psPnDBdVBk

Eric Little

Hartley,
    As far as instruction especially with two seaters and appropriate safety equipment you need to contact the region and/or Road Atlanta.
    As far as 50 amp service available in the paddock, not that I am aware of.
    We, Right Coast, are working with the region trying to arrange a specific area for FF/CF entrants.
    The tent/canopy is unlikely to be an issue, he said hopefully, but depending on the size of the motorhome it may well be an issue.
    A ull size pusher bus with a stacker takes up a lot of real estate.
    If you know Sam Lockwood he might offer suggestions as that sounds similar to what he uses but he brings two race cars so that mitigates the space issue a bit.
    The ARRC is a seriously huge and well supported event, the track is spectacular, certainly unlike anything Florida has on offer, more akin to a Watkins Glen or a Pitt Race if you have run either of them.
    Due to the large entry the region is pretty serious about entrants being very aware of the space they WANT, vs the space they NEED.

Thread Information