Thread: Bleeding brakes

Contributing Member
    Liked: 0

Default Bleeding brakes

installed a new master cylinder in my A-mod, lower than the previous MC. it is lower than any of the caliper pistons, or lines and am having trouble bleeding the system. Any suggestions? Thanks, Loren.

Liked: 530

Put a power bleeder on the master and push fluids through the system using pressure. Overall though it seems problematic if your master is not the highest point in the system.

Contributing Member

Default bleeding brakes

Thanks Mikey, If I sealed the top of the MC reservoir, and attached a remote tube and reservoir, to a point above the master, do you think the system would bleed and function properly? Thanks Loren

Liked: 948

Suggest checking how the master is set up in the car. The master should be bled first with the discharge port venting at the highest point. Some masters are installed at an angle and create an air bubble that is hard to eliminate unless the master is oriented to vent itself. A pressure bleeder kit is very helpful too.
    Last edited by DanW; 10.10.17 at 11:35 PM.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Liked: 130

If there is no room for a reservoir then get one that takes one like this.

http://www.wilwood.com/MasterCylinde...Banjo%20Outlet

I had to use one for my clutch in my last car as the fire wall came over the MC and did not allow adequate room. Never had a problem.

Liked: 58

Default Has worked for me

Regardless of the arrangement of caliper and master cylinder you can run into a tough to bleed system. In that case I disconnect the other master cylinder from the brake balance bar so I can get a full stroke on the cylinder I'm trying to bleed. Being able to move a substantial volume in each stroke helps move the air bubble through the system. Move the rod in and out of the master cylinder slowly to avoid pulling air past the seals. Good luck!

Doug FST 5

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1488

I'm pretty sure the MC's are lower than the calipers on just about every formula car out there that doesn't have a stepped floor. Not a lot lower, but a few inches.

I've had no issues on my 94 VD.

Have you tried bleeding a front and a rear at the same time so that you get full stroke?

Contributing Member

Default bleeding brakes

Thanks Mikey, Dan W, Xmazdatracy, Doug Fst5, Ray Kirchner, your replies are much appreciated and I will try them. Loren

Thread Information