Liked: 1

Default Radical SR3 RS seat cushions? Or how to fit in the seat!?

Hi all. Recently acquired a new to me '13 SR3 and I don't fit in the seat worth a lick! A bit too wide and I can't even see over the dash. I'm 5'9" for reference. I know I can do the molded to your body foam seat process, which I intend to do, but I'm wondering if that will be enough? My car doesn't have the Radical seat padding that I've seen in some photos of other SR3's online. (See below for photos of seat pads I've seen) Should I try to source that seat padding AND do a molded insert?

Just curious how the rest of you have gotten into a comfortable seating position in the car?

Really looking forward to testing the car but getting fit properly is paramount.

Thanks!

-Andrew
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RAdical seat pads1.jpg 
Views:	1568 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	74265   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RAdical seat pads 2.jpg 
Views:	1755 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	74266  

Liked: 530

Do the custom bead seat or 2-part foam. You will be able to get it made exactly how you need for snug comfortable supporting fit at whatever angle and height is most comfortable to you.

Liked: 16

Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    Do the custom bead seat or 2-part foam. You will be able to get it made exactly how you need for snug comfortable supporting fit at whatever angle and height is most comfortable to you.
    I agree with this. I would go with a fitted seat made from two part foam. I have the inserts you have pictured and they do very little to raise you up. Keep in mind it is benificial to be as low as possible as long as you can see the track. I am 6’ tall but I am “body tall” and I am always trying to squat lower in the car. The higher you are causes more aero lift / buffeting on your helmet.

Here is a picture of my car and you can see how far my head sticks out. Lower is better.

Enjoy the car, they are great fun!

Charley

Thanks all, definitely doing the 2 part foam. I was just concerned it wouldn't be thick enough under my butt to raise me up enough. I've never worked with the foam before but apparently my race shop has. I was surprised how low I was in the car, as I literally couldn't see over the dash to the road in front of me. Perhaps adjusting the pedals, which were also too far away, will assist as well.

Good to know I don't have to source the seat padding though. I imagine I could have the finished foam product wrapped in leatherette or alcantara so it's a bit more aesthetically pleasing?

Itching to get out and drive the car for the first time. Hopefully this coming Thursday.

Additionally, does anyone have a photo of their foam seat insert? Just curious how they turn out.

Quote Originally Posted by AWay View Post
    Thanks all, definitely doing the 2 part foam. I was just concerned it wouldn't be thick enough under my butt to raise me up enough. I've never worked with the foam before but apparently my race shop has. I was surprised how low I was in the car, as I literally couldn't see over the dash to the road in front of me. Perhaps adjusting the pedals, which were also too far away, will assist as well.

Good to know I don't have to source the seat padding though. I imagine I could have the finished foam product wrapped in leatherette or alcantara so it's a bit more aesthetically pleasing?

Itching to get out and drive the car for the first time. Hopefully this coming Thursday.
    With two part foam you can make the seat as high as you like... but remember you want to be as low as possible to reduce aero buffeting / lift on your helmet. The foam kits come with a fireproof covering that looks very nice. You definitely don’t want to use leatherette because it is too slippery for a race seat and it isn’t fireproof. Before you adjust the pedals, make sure you have the seat located in the best position for you... then use the pedal adjustments to fine tune the fit. The seat can be moved back and fourth several inches. If you want to see some examples of the foam or bead seats check out the flicker gallery on the Spring Mountain Racing web page.

Charley

Oh I had no idea you could move the seat! Easier than adjusting the pedals perhaps. Will have to look online to see how it's done. Will check out the Spring Mountain page for the foam insert photos as well. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by AWay View Post
    Oh I had no idea you could move the seat! Easier than adjusting the pedals perhaps. Will have to look online to see how it's done. Will check out the Spring Mountain page for the foam insert photos as well. Thank you!
    Yes there are six bolts that need to be loosened and then you can adjust the seat forward or back. There are two on the front of the seat, two near where your hip bone would be if you were sitting in the seat, and two near your shoulder.

Charley

Liked: 0

To move the seat and remove the 6 screws you mentioned. Does the side pot need to be remove to access the 2 screw near the hib bones?

Liked: 138

Nope, you can get to all the bolts, they are on a kind of rail. It's kind of a pain to do, but doable in about 30 minutes. I'm 5'8 I had the seat all the way forward and was just barely enough, they are made for bigger ppl for sure.

Liked: 142

do a bead seat

or if you really want a great seat get a Speed Seat done by Jody
    http://www.speedseatfactory.com

they aren't cheap but they're worth it, 10X better than any bead seat I've ever had, bar none.

if you do decide to do your own 2 part foam seat, OVERSIZE the bag. The foam expands more than you might think and if it escapes the bag its pretty much the stickiest nastiest stuff ever. It'll be everywhere and an absolute nightmare to clean up.
    Awww, come on guys, it's so simple. Maybe you need a refresher course. Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays.

Thread Information