Liked: 226

Default FF50th @ Road America

Big news! The Vintage Sports Car Drivers Association (VSCDA) will be hosting a 50th anniversary party for Formula Ford at Road America September 18-22, 2019.

The FF50th will be a five-day event starting with registration and tech on Wednesday, paddock load-in and untimed practice on Thursday, qualifications plus a group photo on Friday, and concluding with heat and feature races on Saturday and Sunday. Off-track events will provide multiple opportunities to network, bench race, and consume food and beverage.

Open to Kent-powered Formula Fords of all ages, there will be two race groups allowing a total entry of 200 cars. Tire rules (for both slicks and treads) and licensing requirements are being written for maximum inclusivity.

The FF50th will headline the 2019 Elkhart Lake Vintage Festival, the VSCDA’s marquee event. More details to follow.

Steve Beeler
    Lola T-540 HU44
    steve_beeler@ymail.com
    (734)560-6031

2. The following 4 users liked this post:

Liked: 757

A 50th anniversary 2 years after the 50th year of Formula Ford?

Liked: 1112

Quote Originally Posted by SEComposites View Post
    A 50th anniversary 2 years after the 50th year of Formula Ford?
    50th in the U.S.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Fallen Friend
    Liked: 168

Default Delete

I got year wrong...

Last edited by Bob L.; 10.08.17 at 10:23 PM. Reason: comment, wrong...dates

Liked: 25

Default 50th

Thanks Steve,
    thats big news indeed, just started the Turn Right Racing wheels turning, thinking we need to have the Lola collection there in full force!
    Let the planning begin!
    Let me know if I can help

Liked: 8

This is awesome!! I love that VSCDA is putting it on! SVRA has done nothing but disappoint every time I have raced with them! Vscda has always been about the drivers and track time! There fall event at road America is top notch!!

9. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 799

Is this instead-of or as-well-as the rumored 50th at Road Atlanta in Nov 2019 ?

Liked: 3787

Rand will jump in. Both event organizers have agreed to co-exist and support each others event.

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 492

Ian,
    The previously announced, several months back in fact, all inclusive 50th at Road Atlanta is NOT rumored, it is every bit as real as Steve 's vintage sanctioned at Road America.
    Atlanta Region is enthusiastically on board and in fact have arranged a stand alone FF/CF only qual and 50 mile race on Sunday following the Sat 50 mile run with FV/500.
    Joe Marcinski and I are calling this years American Road Race of Champions FF/CF race weekend the Prelude to the Prelude to the 2019 50th Anniversary of FF in all its variations, any tire accepted, Kent, Fit or Cortina just fine as well.
    2018 will be the Prelude before the blow out in 2019 and I have verbal commitments from over a half dozen past SCCA National Champions to attend already, as long as they remain upright and continue taking oxygen that is.....
    The good news for FF/CF drivers and enthusiasts it there will be at least these two great tracks hosting significant events to celebrate the 50th of FF in North America.
    Be at one or both or more but participate often !
    Thanks to all, hope see a strong turnout at the Prelude to the Prelude in under a month [Nov 3-5, testing available Nov 2 ] at Road Atlanta, registration, schedule and supps are available on motorsportreg right now, www.motorsportreg.com, tell them Mike and Joe sent you !
    Last edited by Michael Rand; 10.09.17 at 1:57 PM. Reason: speelingg

13. The following 5 users liked this post:

Contributing Member ric baribeault's Avatar
    Liked: 258

Wanted to be at the PTTP, but it conflicts with my commitment to COTA. Have to drive the Titan at least once. Will be at ARRC next year for sure. And hopefully both 50th's in 2019. But Road Atlanta is a definite.

15. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Rand View Post
    50th at Road Atlanta is NOT rumored, it is every bit as real as Steve 's vintage sanctioned at Road America.
    Cool, thx, I hope to have a not-seen-often-of-late ringer in my new car for the event

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1898

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
    Cool, thx, I hope to have a not-seen-often-of-late ringer in my new car for the event

Isn't that guy getting a little "long in the tooth" to be considered a ringer still ?
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Quote Originally Posted by stonebridge20 View Post
    Isn't that guy getting a little "long in the tooth" to be considered a ringer still ?
    I'll leave him to answer, but the older he gets the faster he was .... better than having me in it LOL

19. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 35

Default Two Big Races in the Same Year!

In thinking back to my days in FF when I was young and thought I was a race car driver* 30 and 35 car grids were normal in SCCA. With so little activity in the FF class in that club now days, and with grids of only 20 or so cars in some vintage events comprised of F/F, F/B, F/2000, F/SV and whoever else wants to run, it is refreshing to think that we will actually have TWO different race events in 2019 in which we have the possibility of Formula Ford fields like the ones I remember! Can someone add another 50th FF event at another track? Three would be a huge year! As of now, I intend to make both events in 2019 and take as many of my customers with me as I can. Then I can at least pretend that it is 1975 again and I am a race driver. Thanks to Beeler, Rand and everyone else who is making this happen.

*I'm not actually getting any older - but it seems that I can remember a lot farther back now. Not sure how that happens......

Robert Metcalf
    Metcalf Racing

21. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 83

Default From my wish list to my To Do list

I've been wanting to race this track and this is the perfect opportunity. Planning commences.

David

Quote Originally Posted by steve_beeler View Post
    Big news! The Vintage Sports Car Drivers Association (VSCDA) will be hosting a 50th anniversary party for Formula Ford at Road America September 18-22, 2019.

The FF50th will be a five-day event starting with registration and tech on Wednesday, paddock load-in and untimed practice on Thursday, qualifications plus a group photo on Friday, and concluding with heat and feature races on Saturday and Sunday. Off-track events will provide multiple opportunities to network, bench race, and consume food and beverage.

Open to Kent-powered Formula Fords of all ages, there will be two race groups allowing a total entry of 200 cars. Tire rules (for both slicks and treads) and licensing requirements are being written for maximum inclusivity.

The FF50th will headline the 2019 Elkhart Lake Vintage Festival, the VSCDA’s marquee event. More details to follow.

Steve Beeler
    Lola T-540 HU44
    steve_beeler@ymail.com
    (734)560-6031

Liked: 2

Default Add the RFFCS to the fun!

Just wanted to add that the 'Royale Formula Ford Challenge Series' on the east coast is working with Steve and the VSCDA to make this event part of the RFFCS program in 2019 ... MORE DETAILS TO FOLLOW, but our preliminary conversations show our cars and groups will be compatible.

As many of our participants know, RFFCS was planning something similar along with 'Formula Ford: The Series' folks on the west coast. With this announcement, RFFCS has decided to work in conjunction with VSCDA and Steve as this a premier track and true vintage organization in which we can ensure our participants the same quality of racing that we deliver on a regular basis at our events.

MARK YOUR CALENDARS!!

--- Christopher Shoemaker
    Royale Racing, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by steve_beeler View Post

Steve Beeler
    Lola T-540 HU44
    steve_beeler@ymail.com
    (734)560-6031
    Last edited by Christopher Shoemaker; 10.11.17 at 11:20 AM. Reason: correct year reference

24. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 2

Robert ... The Royale Formula Ford Challenge Series has had 2 events in 2017 with over 40 cars - ALL FORMULA FORD so I am happy to say RFFCS has reinvigorated Formula Ford on the East Coast back to SCCA early standards. Average event attendance is 25+. If you are looking to run in a large group of Formula Fords only, look no farther as our J500 and WG events are well attended. Consider that 2 more to your planning in 2019 (May - J500, October Watkins Glen), both of which are premier Formula Ford tracks. Although I can not guarentee 100 on the grid (which I think VSCDA & Steve will get), the RFFCS will definitely have over 40 - Just like most of the drivers, LOL!

--- Christopher Shoemaker
    Royale Racing, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by true racer View Post
    In thinking back to my days in FF when I was young and thought I was a race car driver* 30 and 35 car grids were normal in SCCA. With so little activity in the FF class in that club now days, and with grids of only 20 or so cars in some vintage events comprised of F/F, F/B, F/2000, F/SV and whoever else wants to run, it is refreshing to think that we will actually have TWO different race events in 2019 in which we have the possibility of Formula Ford fields like the ones I remember! Can someone add another 50th FF event at another track? Three would be a huge year! As of now, I intend to make both events in 2019 and take as many of my customers with me as I can. Then I can at least pretend that it is 1975 again and I am a race driver. Thanks to Beeler, Rand and everyone else who is making this happen.

*I'm not actually getting any older - but it seems that I can remember a lot farther back now. Not sure how that happens......

Robert Metcalf
    Metcalf Racing

26. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information