Liked: 839

Default Config for rFactor2. Excessive Steering lag

I have recently bought and installed rF2, but find that the steering lag is quite prominent. At least 1/2 second and becomes mucho cumbersome in track switchbacks. I have a pretty decent computer and monitor and have searched the internet for answers and tried most of them with no luck. Intel I-core7 running at 4+GHz with NVidea 9800 GT video card and G27 wheel set. The setup screens for rF2 are radically different from rF1 and there seems to be NO help information that I could find.

Not much activity on this forum recently, but hoping someone is looking at it that might have some suggestions. Have tried almost all of the options in the NVideo setups and turned all the detail settings that I can find down to nothing. Still have excessive lag.
    HELP!
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

Liked: 447

What do you mean by lag? Is there a delay between when you input steering on the wheel and when the car starts to turn on the track?

What kind of wheel/pedal setup are you using? Logitech wheels need a negative (-) FFB setting in order to feel accurate. Have you tried the out of the box wheel profile in rF2?
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

By lag, I mean that when I move MY wheel.. there is a definite 1/2+ sec lag before the rF2 steering wheel moves. There is, of course, an additional delay before the car starts to respond. Yes, I started with the default setup for G27 wheel. Then applied several modifications to the Nvidea settings from (other) forum searches for 'lag'.

In order to 'drive' the IMS GP track esses, I have to turn the wheel a FULL TURN ahead of what I see on screen.
    If I just go into the game and SIT in the paddock spot, I can move my wheel and observe the lag before the on screen wheel moves. There are several youtube videos showing this lag.. mine is worse than any that I have seen in those videos.
    In rF1 there is no discernible lag .. at least I never noticed any in some 4 years of use.
    Steve, FV80

That's bizarre... What is your max steering angle set to? Does setting it to something small like 100 degrees change the lag? Here's some links I found when searching if you haven't already found them.

Config guide for G27: https://osracing.net/logitech-g27-ca...s-for-rfactor/

http://www.racedepartment.com/thread...w-fixed.36269/

https://forum.studio-397.com/index.p...lay-lag.51008/
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

Liked: 442

I had a bit of lag with mine but nothing like you are saying. I found that the G27 just doesn't seem to work with rf2 no matter what you do the feeling is just dead. Like you mine worked fine with rf1

Liked: 341

Quote Originally Posted by RSS View Post
    I had a bit of lag with mine but nothing like you are saying. I found that the G27 just doesn't seem to work with rf2 no matter what you do the feeling is just dead. Like you mine worked fine with rf1
    The problem you are experiencing was the most frustrating one I have had as well. I contacted the folks that built rF2 and their response was "ask the community." Not the product support I was looking for. So I uninstalled and asked for a refund.

Years later when the USF2000 became available I tried it again. Still had the same problem (exactly as you describe, huge lag causing spins in most every braking zone as the game sensed an input that it then processed later). Finally out of frustration, I tried what "the community" said not to do.

I set the video to sync with the GPU. I wrote a bit about it here:

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/show...l=1#post524513

You can see others were having similar issues. Since making this change, rF2 works like it should. That said, I have not repurchased it and I simply play around on the demo version because I think their customer support is atrocious.

If you want to try this solution, open the rF2 launcher, select settings, click the button for video settings. In the second row, it says 'sync' and there is a drop down. Select GPU, click OK and give it a try.

Eric Little

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Carter View Post
    ... What is your max steering angle set to? Does setting it to something small like 100 degrees change the lag? ....
    Max angel is set to 407 degrees . and I have not found a place to change it. There are no 'higher/lower' icons for that listing on the settings screen. I've also tried all kinds of different combinations in the 'graphic screens' for steering in the settings panel, but can't make heads or tails out of how they are supposed to work. The settings under the graphs are 'Sensitivy' and 'Deadzone'. Neither seems to have any effect on anything except the graphic display on that screen.... and that display doesn't make any sense to me either.

I looked at the links you provided, Keith. All but one were generated WAY before rF2 became available. Like I said originally, the wheel works just fine in rf1 -- just feels miserable in rF2 though.

This game (both rF and rF2) are ridiculously complex in setups.. Seems they SHOULD come with a default setup that would make sense and make the cars driveable. Makes me feel like I've wasted my money upgrading to rF2.
    Steve, FV80

Liked: 341

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Davis View Post
    Max angel is set to 407 degrees . and I have not found a place to change it.
    It is set once you select a car and track. Select Garage then the General tab. Mid way down the screen is Steering. First item is wheel range. Some tell you how many degrees and others give you fairly meaningless numbers until you know where you need to be for your wheel.

My wheel is 270 degrees. So if I leave it at the 400+ degree wheels, any motion of the wheel will be way off in ratio. That said, I messed with this setting, deadzone, and sensitivity ad nauseum before I found out that none of that cured the fact that I had to set the sync to GPU for any of it to work anywhere near reasonably.

Eric Little

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Little View Post
    I set the video to sync with the GPU. I wrote a bit about it here:

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/show...l=1#post524513

You can see others were having similar issues. Since making this change, rF2 works like it should. That said, I have not repurchased it and I simply play around on the demo version because I think their customer support is atrocious.

If you want to try this solution, open the rF2 launcher, select settings, click the button for video settings. In the second row, it says 'sync' and there is a drop down. Select GPU, click OK and give it a try.

Eric Little
    Eric,
    Thanks SO MUCH for that tip. I changed the setting to GPU and that seems to have fixed my problem. I took an immediate FOUR SECONDS off my lap time the first try. It certainly makes the skippy car "less crappy" to drive . Now that I have the steering input under control, I'll go and explore some of the other OW cars and tracks in the game.
    Steve, FV80

10. The following 2 users liked this post:

I've been putting time in on the sim lately. rFactor2 is still the sim to beat in my opinion, but I haven't tried iRacing in several years to see if they've improved their physics model to give a fair comparison. I'm a real big fan of Assetto Corsa too. The USF2000 in rF2 is fantastic!!! I'm going to see if I can get something going for this winter and host a league for rF2 if I can ever figure out the whole mod packaging scheme for hosting an online race. If we can get at least 6 cars to participate, I'd do it.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

Thread Information