Liked: 53

Default 2017 Runoffs at Indy

First off, congratulations to Elliot Finlayson on a fantastic win! He was fast all week and drove a flawless race.

I am just curious of what others think of the grouping for qualifying? Personally, I think it was a disaster as I could never find a hole out there to get some clean laps. Most of that is probably my fault since I chose to fight through the traffic instead of laying back. But, 64+ cars of varying speed and talent levels was too much. Thursday's session was much better since we were alone for 10 minutes. If we're to be scheduled in a similar situation in the future, I think we need to fight early to get alone and sacrifice some time. As it turns out, we probably got 10 minutes a day anyway due to black flags. What are some other thoughts?
    Paul Schneider SEDiv FE 73
    www.facebook.com/paulschneiderracing

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 146

Congrats to Elliott, it's not the last time the racing world hears of him.

The qual sessions were about what I expected, with 3 classes and 60+ cars. I had clear laps here and there, which I should've used better. Thursday comparatively worked much better. I would've done that all week instead of what we had.
    Dale V.
    Lake Effect Motorsports
    FM
    Spartan VP-2/Mazda

Liked: 1

The Thursday qualifying where they split us into our own group for 10 minutes was better though it was a little confusing as to how it would be carried out. Maybe I didn't get the memo, but I didn't assume we'd all grid up together with FM and FC like the prior sessions.

Once on track, having 10 minutes was better but not a long enough session and I still had issues with traffic. I tried different strategies for all four sessions, lay back and create a gap or fight through the traffic. Neither seemed to work out.

I do agree that our own session is best. Though I'd prefer 2x20 minute sessions over 4x10 minute sessions if we were to be grouped on our own as we were on Thursday.

This was my first runoffs and I had a great time. But I do wonder why everything is stretched over such a long period of time. I guess it's to have all the races together for spectators?

Liked: 177

Congrats to Elliot on a hell of a drive.

Agreed, the 10 minute Thursday qualy was way better than 20 minutes with a crazy difference in car/driver speeds which ended up only being 10 minutes from black flags and in those 10 minutes there was no room at all.

I'd take (2) 20 or (4) 10 minute sessions if they were just FE next time. I didn't mind the drawn out schedule although that's easy for me to say since I live less than an hour from the track.
    I race communist race cars.

"Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling, there are rules." - Walter Sobchak

Liked: 19

Default Indy

Congratulations to all the Indy finishers ! Top, middle & bottom. Now we have all been there, done that, check.

I thought the quali grouping was doomed from concept. There was no way that 72 +/- formula cars of 3 different classes was going to get a decent session. Not even considering the difference in talent levels. Even one class with that number of cars couldn't work. With 72 cars that equals a car density of one car every 190' on average Fortunatly, there was a formula car guy, maybe more than one, but at least one that I am aware of that had some influence with the stewards that got the sessions split. We were able to get some decent laps then.
    Race thoughts. I think we all did a nice job in the race. The start was clean and no one did anything radical. Some folks might have been expecting a major train wreck at the start. Nice job boys ! That was fun.

Lee

Liked: 52

Default Vote with my wallet

I think, until SCCA changes back to a qualifying standard (instead of basically anyone who wants), I will continue to vote with my wallet and not go. Spending a week (or more) at the track for 2 hours of track time isn't a good cost/benefit equation for me. The remarkable thing is... the fast guys at a typical Major or HST event, with one or two 20 minute qualifying sessions - are the same fast guys at the Runoffs. There's really no reason to make it a 10 day affair (including the quasi-mandatory test day or two). If the entry were limited to, say, 24 cars per class (maybe 48 for the top 6 subscribed classes - who would then run alone), you could have more and longer and more productive sessions in a shorter week.

Liked: 177

Quote Originally Posted by LarryWinkelman View Post
    I think, until SCCA changes back to a qualifying standard (instead of basically anyone who wants), I will continue to vote with my wallet and not go. Spending a week (or more) at the track for 2 hours of track time isn't a good cost/benefit equation for me. The remarkable thing is... the fast guys at a typical Major or HST event, with one or two 20 minute qualifying sessions - are the same fast guys at the Runoffs. There's really no reason to make it a 10 day affair (including the quasi-mandatory test day or two). If the entry were limited to, say, 24 cars per class (maybe 48 for the top 6 subscribed classes - who would then run alone), you could have more and longer and more productive sessions in a shorter week.

I've heard this argument before. Now that I have a runoff under my belt I can finally throw my 2 bits in.

I like the schedule and don't see any reason to fix it. I don't get why people complain about track time value? This isn't a track day or a regional race, this is the National Championship. Over 1000 people voted with their wallet and had a blast. I did not hear anybody complain the entire weekend other than a qualify snafu with some open wheel classes and I can say with a smile on my face and a finish that was less than I hoped that I had the time of my life and it was worth every penny. I was a one man show and needed all the time available to make sure my car was ready and any changes to setup were able to be done. Our qualify sessions were crap when mixed with FM's and FC's but once we agreed to do 10 minute sessions with only FE's it was great. If you need more than 10 minutes to get your fast time in then your probably not really a legitimate contender anyways. Besides it adds excitement to the whole process.

The cost incurred to run such an event is enormous thus the high entry fees. When I want value per dollar, I do a test day. When I want to compete against some really good regional talent, I run a Majors race. When I want to race against the best talent in the country for a winner take all trophy in a beautiful and storied race track known the world wide, then I run at Indy.

In the end, this is racing and you pay to play. I didn't expect 4 hours of track time when I signed up and I don't want a field of 36 FE's cut down to 24 so we can all get 5-10 more minutes of qualifying.

Folks who had mechanical issues preventing qualifying were definitely not complaining about running the process over 4 days I can guarantee that.
    I race communist race cars.

"Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling, there are rules." - Walter Sobchak

9. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information