Liked: 0

Default F600 build questions

hello all. Looking to stop beating up on my C5 so much and get into a "cheaper" car(lol). I dont currently have a car but im looking to pick one up locally. It will primarily be used for autocross and raced in a Mod class. My region South Jersey SCCA has an awesome highspeed venue (decommissioned airport) so speeds can get around 70mph in the vette.

The car im looking at is a 10 year old Fsae car that was pretty much stripped and cannibalized for the next years program. It is pretty much a roller. The current owner mounted a Gsxr 600 engine in it and has it running. From what the guy tells me is that it needs, Cooling, Full braking system, and rear sprocket. Suspension-wise it has all inbound shocks, probably not the best quality but good enough to race locally for the moment(no other FTD capable mod cars).

-Mostly my questions would be what do most people use to transfer the power from the engine to the rear axle? I realize it will be with a chain more than likely but are there special hubs i can buy that will mount to the axle then accept the correct sprocket to match a bike chain?

- What type of brakes should I be looking at? The owner says it uses "common 2 bolt calipers from mini sprints". Would that be enough braking to handle the speeds of a Gsxr powered car?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks! - Dave

Liked: 98

I can't answer your specific technical questions, but I just thought you should know, before you buy the car, that a Formula SAE is not a legal F600, and wouldn't be allowed to race with the SCCA. It doesn't meet the F600 rules and it doesn't meet the general safety requirements of the SCCA. Further, with the extremely short wheel-base, it would be very difficult to control on a road course with large curves and high speed. At an auto-x, with tight corners and low speed, it would be fine. Depends on what you're planning to do with it.

Liked: 0

Quote Originally Posted by holmberg View Post
    I can't answer your specific technical questions, but I just thought you should know, before you buy the car, that a Formula SAE is not a legal F600, and wouldn't be allowed to race with the SCCA. It doesn't meet the F600 rules and it doesn't meet the general safety requirements of the SCCA. Further, with the extremely short wheel-base, it would be very difficult to control on a road course with large curves and high speed. At an auto-x, with tight corners and low speed, it would be fine. Depends on what you're planning to do with it.
    Ok well then it would strictly be an autocross car then. That's all I currently do so I'm fine with that. I don't have much free time to road race. I wasn't really sure where to post this topic. I figured since the engine was a gsxr 600 it should go here. Thanks for the info

Liked: 57

I believe many regions have a class for FSAE cars in autoX. But if not, it would still be a really fun car in one of the Mod classes!

Look on-line at the Mini-Sprint suppliers for parts. Hyper Racing is a good one. I've bought plenty of parts for my F500 from them.

Name of the game is HAVE FUN! An SAE car will certainly foot that bill!
    George Bugg
    -----------------------------
    NovaKar
    F600

Thread Information