Thread: Wheel source

Liked: 98

Default Wheel source

What wheels do you use? Make, model, and where did you buy them, and for how much?

Some day in the near future I will be looking for 13x6 wheels. I would like something that weighs less than 10 lbs. And of course costs a little as possible.

Some of the possibilities I see on the Internet:

Jongbloed 300-Aero, unknown lbs. and $unknown.

Kodiak, unknown lbs. and $420.

Keizer 4L
    , 7 lbs. and $275.

Panasport Prolite, 8 lbs. and $235.

Revolution 4-spoke classic race wheels, 9.7 lbs. and $184 (converted from British pounds).

VTO Classic 8, 9.9 lbs. and $154.

Any others I missed?

Do you have experience with any of these wheels?

What do you recommend?

Thanks,

Greg
    Last edited by holmberg; 09.18.17 at 5:38 PM.

Liked: 17

Jongbloed is your best choise super quality very lite and great service. I have 4 sets on an FB.

Nick77

Liked: 58

Default wheels

Our rules require a one-piece wheel that is 13"X6" and weighs at least 10lbs. Bolt pattern is open but the common one is 4 on 4". Most of us started with steel wheels from Aero, etc. Some years back a batch of aluminum wheels were made that met the rules and most of the guys in the Hoosier series run them.

Doug FST 5

Liked: 151

Default Other wheels/brakes

When we did our rules we wanted to make wheels really cheap and bulletproof. To keep steel wheels in the mix we have the weight limit. Therefore you can just buy a very nice silver powder coated wheel from Basset for about $55 each. They are totally competitive.

Also our rules committee also speced VW replacement solid rotors and calipers. Another poster in the FV Disk brake thread said they were heavy. Yes compared to something like a Wilwood they are heavy but that was in our view not important and outweighed by the benefits are affordability and availability. The loaded calipers cost under $50 and the rotors about $50. In spite of a few bad shunts we have never seen a rotor bend--- ever.

As an aside years ago I took an FV drum, backing plate complete with shoes and wheel cylinders and weighed them. I'm thinking the difference between the disk and drum setup was about a pound.

Default Basset

Are these the Basset wheels? Inertial Advantage 13x6 is 12 lbs. and $69.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1307_inertia_silver.jpg 
Views:	2642 
Size:	18.4 KB 
ID:	73865  

Quote Originally Posted by Doug FST 5 View Post
    Our rules require a one-piece wheel that is 13"X6" and weighs at least 10lbs. Bolt pattern is open but the common one is 4 on 4". Most of us started with steel wheels from Aero, etc. Some years back a batch of aluminum wheels were made that met the rules and most of the guys in the Hoosier series run them.

Doug FST 5
    I just checked Aero Race Wheels, and they don't make a 13x6. 13x7 is the smallest.

What is the brand of aluminum wheels? Do you have a link?

Thanks

Greg

Default Wheels

The Basset wheels look correct. Aero may not make a 6" wheel now but we had some from them years ago. We bought our first wheels around '05 and things have changed. I don't recall the manufacturer of the Aluminum wheel. It was not one of the major brands. I'm guessing RGU will chime in with the details.

Doug FST 5

Quote Originally Posted by Nick77 View Post
    Jongbloed is your best choise super quality very lite and great service. I have 4 sets on an FB.

Nick77
    They do look nice. That's the "300-Aero" one-piece model below.

I can't find pricing anywhere on the internet, including the Jongbloed web site.

Any idea what a 13x6 one-piece Jongbloed wheel would cost?

I have $500 in my notes, but now I can't find that number anywhere on the internet, so I'm not sure where I got it.

I see that Jongbloed provides a $250 discount to NASA members for a set of four one-piece wheels. $500 for a set of three-piece wheels.

Also, does anyone know the weight? I'm sure it's less than 10 lbs, and that's OK, because my application isn't Formula First.

I just thought this forum would be the place to ask about 13x6 wheels. I think Formula Continental also uses 13x6 wheels--I should ask there too.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Default wayback machine

I consulted the internet wayback machine to see what the wheels were sold for "back in the day". Back in 2011 SRacing sold the 12.2lb Bassett wheels for $70 each. The aluminum wheels are said to be an "UltraLite" supplied by Pack Racing. They were at our class minimum weight and were priced at $162.50 each.

Doug FST 5

Liked: 88

Default Wheels

The last aluminum wheels I remember were 2 years ago from VTO Performance. As I recall he originally had 100 and was down to the last 25 which were purchased by current FST drivers. He indicted to me at that time that he would need a significant order to make another run.

Larry Campbell

Default Prices

Doug is correct on Prices except our latest batch

The wheels were made in Australia and were called Performance Racing Wheels. They were kind of a Minilite knock off and its my understanding the company still exists but we need a minimum order of 100. Pic below.

Last time our Drivers Association bought the Bassets (last year) we bought a dozen. The member price was $56 each according to my adv on our BBS.

Bummer, the http://www.packracingproducts.com web site is no longer. I assume the company is also no longer.

It appears that Pack was not a manufacturer, but just a dealer of the superlite brand.

However, the http://www.superlitewheels.com web site is also no longer.

I found a posting by the owner of Pack Racing, saying that his wheels were manufactured by Performance Wheels Austrailia.

Here's a link to their Superlite 13" model (below). No mention of an "Ultralite" model. No prices, no dealer info provided.

These look very similar to the VTO Classic 8 wheel below. 9.85 lbs and $154. The web page says that they are in stock. Doesn't say how many are in stock.

It's a classic design. Panasport ProLite looks about the same. 8 lbs and $235.

Name:	587-4GP12LS-A.jpg 
Views:	2610 
Size:	81.7 KB 
ID:	73869   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Superlite-13x7-600.jpg 
Views:	2735 
Size:	83.3 KB 
ID:	73867  

Another classic design is the Revolution 4-spoke. I see these on a lot of older Formula Fords.

9.02 lbs to 10.34 lbs. £136 = $184. From England.

Name:	6-0-x-13-4-Spoke-Race-Matt-Black-HR_lrg.jpg 
Views:	2599 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	73870  

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Try looking for wheels suitable for asphalt midgets.

Looks like wheels are actually closer to 6# and now around $300/each for Keizer

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl DeArman View Post
    Try looking for wheels suitable for asphalt midgets. I think the front wheels were about 7# each and about $200. I believe Valco is a supplier.
    Ha ha--if I search for "valco wheels", I get baby strollers!

I found Vahlco Racing Wheels. They make 13" aluminum wheels for midget racing. 13x7 is $152. No 13x6

I think Formula SAE also uses 13x6.

I'll keep looking.
    Last edited by holmberg; 09.18.17 at 6:22 PM.

Banned

Yes, Vahlco. They do make 13 x 6, but you buy shells and centers separately.

Default Braid

I think this would be legal for FST. The Winrace A from Braid in Spain. Aluminum, 13x6, 10.34 lbs.

It's about $137 in Europe. Braid USA wants $207. Perhaps you could negotiate a deal.

Name:	WR_13_Plata.jpg 
Views:	2605 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	75515  
    Last edited by holmberg; 12.07.17 at 2:46 AM.

18. The following 2 users liked this post:

Default Looks Good

Yes these would work. Big issue is bolt pattern but someone will look into because we have some new cars coming on board in 2018. Thanks for the research!

Quote Originally Posted by rgu View Post
    Yes these would work. Big issue is bolt pattern but someone will look into because we have some new cars coming on board in 2018. Thanks for the research!
    They'll do bolt circles of 98, 100, 101.6 (4"), 108, and 114.3 (4.5").

Greg

FYI, VTO also supplies the 13x5.5 and 13x7 wheels for SRF. $154 for the 5.5". The 7" isn't listed on their website.

I imagine they could do a 6" for FST. They do their other wheels in 13x6, so why not this pattern?

https://www.vtowheels.com/Formula-Fo...2mm_p_175.html

Name:	SCCA-FRONT-13X55.jpg 
Views:	2181 
Size:	135.1 KB 
ID:	84968  

Default VTO Wheels

Price is certainly very good! Question is bolt pattern. I'll try to call them tomorrow.

From reading the FST rules, it appears that the most common bolt pattern is 4x4" or 4x101.6mm.

VTO also makes the wheel below in a 13x6. You can get it 4x101.6 for $154. Offset +13mm=0.51" (backspace 99mm=3.90").

You can also get this wheel in a 13x6 with other offsets and custom-drilled 4x101.6 for $214.

No weights are given on the website.

The six-spoke pattern above and this one below are similarly priced in the 5.5" width, so I would imagine VTO could make the six-spoke pattern in a 13x6 for similar prices.

Name:	585-4AP13SS-A.jpg 
Views:	2031 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	84977  

Here's another 13x6 aluminum wheel. From Compomotive UK. 9.9 lbs. Too light? Price not listed, but I have $200 in my notes--not sure where I got that. In the photos, they actually show it on an SCCA FST! I guess it must be legal!

https://www.comp.co.uk/products/prod...xr-1363-20-109

Name:	109_1_l.jpg 
Views:	1843 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	84978  

It's too bad that this one only comes in a 13x7. I like the looks. 9.9 lbs. Only $125! Maybe if the FST community placed a big order, they would make it in a 13x6.

https://www.rimstock.com/content/pro-race-12

The photo shows 5 holes, but the spec for the 13x7 says 4 holes.

Name:	Pro-Race-12-Silver.jpg 
Views:	1971 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	84979  

Liked: 26

That does not look like a 13 in. wheel. Most likely the 15 in. or 16 in. version. Those spokes would be spider webs in 13 in. Is 4 x 4 in . really a common bolt pattern ? I always have trouble finding used vintage wheels in that pattern. Orginal Revolution's or similar. MG Midget ,Chevy Vega and Jensen Healy were about the only oem users, also Mini but 10 in.

Greg
    Last edited by GreginCanada; 04.24.19 at 9:21 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GreginCanada View Post
    Is 4 x 4 in . really a common bolt pattern ? I always have trouble finding used vintage wheels in that pattern.
    Not common at all. I know the GCR says that FST wheel BCD is open as long as it is 4 lug, and then says 4 x 4 is common. I don't believe that's true, but I've only seen 2 FST in person. I believe the standard 4 lug VW pattern is 4 x 130.

Default 4x4

4 on 4" is really common in the class but not necessarily common in the marketplace.

The early sources of steel wheels had 4 on 4" at a low price.

Doug FST 5
    Last edited by Doug FST 5; 06.03.19 at 2:27 PM. Reason: Add'l information added

29. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 4

Default wheel source

I can help with an inexpensive wheel. What are you looking for? Is it for a specific class or a group of cars?
    ryan@jongbloedracing.com

Thread Information