Liked: 29

Default Any PFMs near St. Louis?

I'm considering buying a PFM, but I'd like to sit in one to see how it feels before I pull the trigger, any PFM owners near St. Louis that would be willing to let me sit in their car? I haven't driven a formula car since about 1994 and I've been driving GT cars since.
    Feel free to e-mail or call:
    Mike M.
    618-660-6454

Liked: 530

I'm not nearby, but if you tell me your size I can help you figure out if you fit. PFM has one of the largest tubs I've been in for formula cars. Way more than FE and any vintage cars for sure.

It's a lot of car, but not unmanageable if you're a skilled GT driver. I went from Corvettes to FE to PFM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    I'm not nearby, but if you tell me your size I can help you figure out if you fit. PFM has one of the largest tubs I've been in for formula cars. Way more than FE and any vintage cars for sure.

It's a lot of car, but not unmanageable if you're a skilled GT driver. I went from Corvettes to FE to PFM.
    I went to the race at Gateway a couple of weeks ago and looked at the tub and was surprised at the size. I'm just not sure about the width of the opening in the front roll structure to the foot box. The other car I have is a Prince LSR P1/2 which is based on a mid 90's Van Diemen and I haven't driven it because I find it very uncomfortable. The front hoop to foot box is only 10" wide, my GT-1 car feels like a limo compared to it. I used to have a Ralt FA and I sat in a Swift 014 once and they both seemed fine, but it's been several years ago. I'll maybe get a chance to sit in a PFM at the Runoffs.

Mike M.

I will measure mine in that area. It's wide everywhere! Mine has padding on the hoop so knees don't knock the hard edges and I still have room between the knees as well. My seat is actually poured with a divider between my legs. Shoulder width is a mile wide also. I did modify my head surround because my driver's suit kept catching under the edge a bit, but only had to remove the underside "lip" of it around the inner perimeter. I'm 5'10", 185lbs and can get in and out with the head surround in place.

Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    I will measure mine in that area. It's wide everywhere! Mine has padding on the hoop so knees don't knock the hard edges and I still have room between the knees as well. My seat is actually poured with a divider between my legs. Shoulder width is a mile wide also. I did modify my head surround because my driver's suit kept catching under the edge a bit, but only had to remove the underside "lip" of it around the inner perimeter. I'm 5'10", 185lbs and can get in and out with the head surround in place.
    Thanks, that sounds encouraging.
    Mike M.

Mike,
    Just measured mine. The tub at the shoulder area is a full 23" wide and the opening in the bulkhead right where your knees sit is a full 12" wide.

One day when I retire I might design my own formula car around this tub, because I've not sat in any other car that was so roomy and comfortable. Until then I'll drive machines of other people's designs!

Cheers,
    Mike

Thread Information