Contributing Member
    Liked: 85

Default Hoosier Vintage FF tires ?

Had a problem this weekend with a new set of Hoosier vintage treads...car was fine during Friday practice, using up an old set of Dunlops. For Sat quali session, we put on a new set of Hoosiers---big issues. They are great everywhere, except under very heavy braking, then the fronts get a bounce/shudder going that will almost take the steering wheel away from you. No hint of it any other time, so I don't think it's balance or out of round. Not the track surface, he was in the same line as with the D's, and trying another line didn't help.

Great tire otherwise,

Liked: 350

Switching tires doesn't necessarily mean it's being caused by the tires. I would do a thorough check for suspension binding, shock behavior and look at brake bias adjustments. Seldom will changing tire brands/sizes take the same brake bias settings.
    Peter Olivola
    (polivola@gmail.com)

Contributing Member

turned out to be low air pressure...we just weren't getting them up to hot pressure they like

a bad tire gauge wasn't helping, either

Liked: 123

Default wheel hop

I had the same issue. What pressures did you use to stop the violence??

Contributing Member

still a work in progress once we got them around 17 hot, they got much better

according to Hoosier, we might need a couple more to dial them in

Liked: 123

Ok. Thank you

Liked: 246

Digi, several of us during the recent Indy/ mid Ohio run found putting on new tires really caused handling issues the first heat cycle the tire were very slippery and hard to drive (1-2 secs off the pace). The second heat cycle was a bit better, but still not good. The third heat cycle and after they were great. But still no faster than the old tires that came off. So in my opinion that is the perfect tire in that putting on new tires is actually a disadvantage and even when they come in around the third heat cycle are no faster than the 1.5 yr old 20 something heat cycle worn out tread set they replaced. We are running hot pressures in the 16-18 psi range and very little camber and it seems to be working really well. Todd

Contributing Member Robert J. Alder's Avatar
    Liked: 301

Quote Originally Posted by tstrong View Post
    Digi, . . . . We are running hot pressures in the 16-18 psi range and very little camber and it seems to be working really well. Todd
    Todd,
    Same on all four corners, or different front to back? Seems like 2 lbs. more pressure in rears has been typical for FF spec tires as long as I can recall. Any thoughts on this? (Don't give away ALL your speed secrets.)

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 160

Robert,

I started out with 2 lbs more in the rear which is what I used on the Avons and Dunlops. I am now about equal front to rear at most tracks using the Hoosiers. The most difference I have used recently is 1 lb. I check my tire pressures when I come in and look for 18 lbs hot.

Best Joe

Liked: 246

Agreed, ran 2 lbs more in rears with Dunlops. With Hoosiers run 1 lb more or same depending on how the car feels ( and tire temps) but not more than 1 lb more in the rear. Todd

Thread Information