Liked: 280

Default Right Coast Formula F Series Race Report NJMP

Hi,

This past weekend saw 18 drivers of the Right Coast Formula F Series presented by American Pen Company descend upon the Lightning Circuit at New Jersey Motorsports Park for race number one of the 2017 season. The weather was fantastic save for a very brief period of overcast and a slight spitting of rain during Saturday morning’s qualifying session. There was no noticeable effect on the racing surface, just a few drops on our face shields during the session. The single qualifying session served to set the grid for Right Coast Race One of the weekend and for the 15 lap NJRRS/MARRS regional qualifying race.

Wayne Nicolette in his RACEngine Kent powered Lola T340 Club Formula F has emerged from a long winter layoff in midseason form and qualified on the overall pole. He was followed by Mike Rand in the Crossle 30F Honda CFF, Derek Holmes in his DB-1 FF, Bill Atherholt in a similar DB-1 FF and JD King in his Zink Z10 CFF making up the rest of the top 5. Tom Venturino in a Royale RP31 CFF, Dave Petzko in his beautiful Spectrum Honda FF, yours truly in the Royale RP24 CFF, Dave Gernert in the K-Hill Mygale Honda FF and Will Velkoff in a Crossle 30F filled out the top 10. Ed Callo in the Bowman FF followed by Doug Fisher, Chuck Van Nostrand and Sam Eyer, all in Zink Z10 CFF’s and Ray Boyer in the Van Dieman RF92 FF were next. Sam Youngman in a DB-1 Honda FF, Angela Slocum in another Mygale FF and Bill Maisey in his Crossle 45F Honda CFF filled out the field.

The 18-car turnout was wonderful to see. We were all sorry to hear that Al Cantrell could not make the weekend and hope that he gets well soon so that he can get race his new to him 96 VanDieman FF. Steve Roux and Chip VanSlyke were also scheduled to be there, but had to withdraw at the last moment.

Thanks to the efforts of JD King and Terry Hanushek and the kind folks from the South Jersey Region of SCCA; we could get 75 laps of racing around the wonderful Lightning Circuit. We kicked of the racing program with the 15-lap regional qualifying race. Wayne sort of ran off and hid. He was followed by Mike Rand CFF, Dave Petzko first in FF, Bill Atherholt in FF, JD King and Joe Marcinski in CFF’s, Ed Callo in FF and Sam Eyer, Will Velkoff and Chuck VanNostrand in CFF’s completing the top 10.

About 2 hours later the green flag dropped for the first race of the 2017 Right Coast season. Wayne Nicolette jumped into the lead immediately and the battles for position through the field commenced. I cannot relate the details of anything other than my race as, thankfully, I found myself having a blast racing with Tom Venturino, Bill Atherholt and Will Velkoff. We could see Derek Holmes, JD and Dave just in front, but were quite honestly to involved with one another to really see what they were doing.

I had tremendous fun racing with Tom, Bill and Will. Eventually it came down to me trying everything I could to get by Bill but he did a great job of staying in front. It was close, clean and respectful as we were nose to tail and side by side, but gave each other room to recover from tiny mistakes. Just before half distance, Mike Rand had to pit with what turned out to be a loose radiator hose. Fortunately, he caught it in time and the Honda was not damaged by the slight overheating. Then, about three laps from the end of our 20-lap race; we ran down into turn 7 and could see Wayne off in the grass and trying to rejoin the race. I don’t know what happened, but I figured that I just might be able to earn my first DUFFUS kill sticker and Right Coast podium finish and focused on finishing the race.

When the checker dropped giving Derek Holmes the overall win in FF he was followed by JD first in CFF, Dave Petzko 2nd in FF, Bill Atherholt 3rd in FF, me 2nd in CFF and Wayne closing fast for third in CFF. The remainder of the top 10 were Tom Venturino and Will Velkoff in CFF, Ed Callo in FF and Chuck VanNostrand in CFF. This was a very nice reward for Derek, who along with his cousin Barbara and Shayne Frebert (who should have been racing with us) had pulled an all-nighter replacing a broken input shaft after the Friday test day. Derek win came despite losing third gear late in the race. This was due to metal fatigue on a very old gear set. This caused this apparently indefatigable team to embark on a second all-nighter on Saturday to clean the debris out of the gearbox.

Later Saturday afternoon we commenced our evening social where we presented DUFFUS kill stickers to the Right Coast podium finishers and did the drawings for the awards offered by our wonderful corporate partners. The first awards were from KFP Brake Pads courtesy of Keith Averill of Averill Racing Stuff. The FF certificate winner was Ray Boyer and the Club FF winner was Will Velkoff. The ANZE Suspension $75 certificate winner was JD King. The K-Hill Motorsport shop service certificate winner was Angela Slocum. The Primus Racing certificate winner was Sam Youngman. The Quicksilver Race Engines certificate winner was Dave Petzko. The Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies $50 gift certificate winner was Bill Atherholt and the two $25 certificate winners were Chuck VanNostrand and Derek Holmes.

Thanks to our terrific presenting sponsor, American Pen Company, who sent us batch of their new “Minimalist” carbon fiber pens; we could present one to each entrant.

The sunny Sunday race program began with a 20 lap NJRRS/MARRS regional points race. I must apologize as most the racing action that I am relating is limited to what I could see or what I was doing as again, I was thankfully fully involved in the racing. Wayne Nicolette in the Lola took an early lead followed by Dave Petzko in the Spectrum and JD King the Z10. Will Velkoff, Bill Atherholt and I commenced to have a good battle. Eventually Bill and I could pull away a bit from Will. I could see JD just ahead and was trying hard to get by Bill in hopes I could get to JD. It was fun, clean, close racing until lap 18 when I tested the cornering limits of the Royale at Turn 7. I slid into the dirt on the outside and just when I thought I had it gathered up, I spun. I was able to restart, but not before Will and Sam Eyer had gone by.

The top ten in the Regional were Wayne in the Lola, Dave in the Spectrum, JD, Bill in the Swift, Will in the Crossle’, Sam Eyer in his Zink Z10, me, Chuck VanNostrand in another Z10, Tom Venturino in the Royale RP31 and Dave Gernert in the Mygale.

About 3 hours later we jumped back into the cars and ran the second Right Coast race of the weekend. The grid for race 2 was formed by the fastest lap from either qualifying or race 1. The starting order was Dave Petzko, Derek Holmes, Wayne Nicolette, JD King, Bill Atherholt, me, Doug Fisher, Tom Venturino, Will Velkoff, Mike Rand, Ed Callo, Chuck VanNostrand, Angela Slocum, Ray Boyer, Sam Eyer, Sam Youngman and Dave Gernert.

JD had a shifter problem on the pace lap and cut off into the pit lane before the green waved. Wayne got a great start and took the lead followed by Dave. Derek Holmes almost immediately encountered an ignition problem and fell back. This allowed me to fall in behind in 3rd.. Will Velkoff apparently got a great start and pretty soon he and Bill Atherholt were engaging me and we swapped places for a few laps. Will and I were eventually able to pull away from Bill a bit and raced one another very hard, swapping places every lap. Mike Rand recovered quickly from his uncharacteristic starting spot and soon was on Will and I and eventually got by both of us. Will and I continued to swap places until the last couple of laps when I began missing the 3rd to 4th shift. This allowed Will to consolidate is 4th overall position and Ed Callo was able to draft by as well. JD made an amazing recovery after resetting the shifter and starting from the pit lane finishing just behind me in 7th. Doug Fisher was 8th, Dave Gernert came from last to finish 9th and Tom Venturino completed the top 10.

In the impound area we awarded the DUFFUS kill stickers and trophies to Dave Petzko 1st in FF, Ed Callo 2nd in FF, Dave Gernert 3rd in FF; Wayne Nicolette 1st overall and 1st in CFF, Mike Rand 2nd in CFF and Will Velkoff 3rd in CFF. The Stonebridge Cryogenics Hard Charger award was earned by Dave Gernert who gained 8 places and the Williams Racing Development Hard Fader award goes to Derek Holmes.

In closing I would like to sincerely thank the folks from the South Jersey Region, JD King, Sue King, Terry Hanushek, the entire Men in Black Tech team and Meg Meyer for all their help during the weekend. We could not ask for better hosts and hope that we are invited back again next year.

Next up Mid Ohio on June 30 through July 2 with Formula Race Promotions and the pro F1600, F2000 & FAtlantic Series. Hope to see you all there.

Thanks,

Joe Marcinski

2. The following 5 users liked this post:

Liked: 29

Default Results Sheet for NJMP

Results sheets are up on the RCFFS site at: http://www.rcffs.org/2017-results.html

Thanks Joe!!!

Liked: 78

I am really starting to rack those hard fader awards up... Despite working on the car all weekend I had a great time. If any one has been following the RCFFS series and has been thinking about running with us. I promise that you will have a fun weekend!

Thread Information