Liked: 83

Default Screw-in wheel studs? 7/16-20?

Many of us have odd ducks because previous owners have been, um, creative. Many of us don't know how odd until we tear something apart and try to replace or upgrade. Seems like almost no one sells screw-in wheel studs anymore! I have some spare "universal" hubs and the bolt circle I need to use takes a 7/16-20, screw-in wheel stud. That's 7/16-20 into the hub a half inch, and also 7/16-20 available for the wheel and lug nut, about 1-1/8" (at least 1", anyway). I've checked all the usual sources - Pegasus, McMaster, Summit, ARP, and several others. No dice.

Anyone know of a source?

Alternative, which is maybe lucky because the thread into the hub is 7/16-20, is to use long, full-thread bolts from McMaster. They certainly would not work themselves out!

David

Liked: 947

Default Dorman

I have done the full length threaded bolt through the back side of the front hubs on my Zink when I converted it from wheel bolts. It worked fine.

Dorman offers some alternatives for studs.

http://www.dormanproducts.com/gsearc...&q=stud+7%2F16
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Default Bolts, and Dorman

Good info on both, Dan, thanks much.

David

Banned
    Liked: 1116

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 20

I did the same with my RF78, though McMaster Carr Grade 8 bolts. Though I cut the heads off, threaded them through the rear stub flange, and secured them with a Jetnut from the backside. This avoided having to disassemble the rear upright.

8. The following 2 users liked this post:

Default One more idea

“Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Liked: 837

Google '7/16 racing wheel studs'. Quite a number of sources - including Summit.
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

Default Good info

Daryl - great source; I entered what I would like and we'll see what their quote is for a custom order
    Dan - worth considering... separate bolts or just cut a threaded rod. I like the idea of screwing through the hub and securing with a jet nut on the back (and some Loctite)
    Steve - did that exhaustively... almost all are press-in studs. I did not find the screw in I was looking for

DK

Liked: 96

Take the time to convert to press in studs. Problem then solved.

jfb

Quote Originally Posted by john f View Post
    Take the time to convert to press in studs. Problem then solved.

jfb
    Press in studs are ideal. The hub holes must be bored and reamed to size before pressing in the studs. Otherwise they won't be straight and parallel.

Regards,
    Dan

Liked: 31

I don't deal much with fastener design, but what about a long set screw? Other choices available.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#91375a690/=17w8qs7

Ken Hoovler

Liked: 96

Quote Originally Posted by DanW View Post
    Press in studs are ideal. The hub holes must be bored and reamed to size before pressing in the studs. Otherwise they won't be straight and parallel.

Regards,
    Dan

Yes, that is correct, although if holes are bored to size, no reaming is required. As I originally said, take the time to DO IT RIGHT! Alot less trouble in the long run.

jfb

Contributing Member
    Liked: 20

I used bolts because I couldn't fine any threaded rod stronger than Grade 5.

Edit: McMaster does list Grade 8 threaded rod now

Quote Originally Posted by DK540 View Post
    separate bolts or just cut a threaded rod.
    DK
    Last edited by stephen wilson; 06.02.17 at 1:41 PM.

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Lots of import cars use screw in studs OEM instead of press-in splined studs.

Personally I wouldn't use a piece of all thread no matter the rating simply because losing a wheel trying to save a buck seems penny wise and pound foolish.

Thread Information