Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked: 208

Default Karting Can Serve You Well

Don't discount karting even after you are racing a car. It's a great way to develop skills that are directly transferable to cars. Many racers keep a kart on hand just for practice. I raced karts for over 15 years starting at age 12. Proved to be a great training ground.

I'll toss in my two cents worth on the Formula F (Ford) option, too. These are not high powered cars so you'll need to develop good driving skills that will pay off in any other car.

Good luck.
    Ralph Z
    1968 Alexis Mk14 Formula Ford

2. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 4

Default Plan 0.1.0

Again, thanks to everyone for throwing in ideas and helping me out.

I've been looking at the fields that run both here and in Alabama and Southern California (two places I'm planning to go to for college) and FV and FF are the only ones that have cars competing in all three. So right now, my plan is to get an FV, run for 2-4 years, see what I can win, then move to FC, then when I start winning (rookie national champion ) I'll contact ladder series teams (Formula Lites, USF2000, etc) about doing testing. Naturally I'll try for the MRTI scholarship while I'm doing that. When I start doing good in FV, I'll contact some smaller companies about small sponsorships (entry fees, tires, stuff like that) and see if anyone bites. In college I'm going to do the FSAE program, so I'm assuming that could help a bit, especially when it comes to mechanic and setup stuff.

Any feedback about that?

Contributing Member Chris Elwell's Avatar
    Liked: 58

Quote Originally Posted by TambourineJDM View Post

I've been looking at the fields that run both here and in Alabama and Southern California (two places I'm planning to go to for college) and FV and FF are the only ones that have cars competing in all three. So right now, my plan is to get an FV, run for 2-4 years, see what I can win, then move to FC, then when I start winning (rookie national champion ) I'll contact ladder series teams (Formula Lites, USF2000, etc) about doing testing. Naturally I'll try for the MRTI scholarship while I'm doing that. When I start doing good in FV, I'll contact some smaller companies about small sponsorships (entry fees, tires, stuff like that) and see if anyone bites. In college I'm going to do the FSAE program, so I'm assuming that could help a bit, especially when it comes to mechanic and setup stuff.

Any feedback about that?
    i would suggest starting in FV, make an attempt at a few Runoffs in FV (sometimes the fields in the southeast can be small) and then aim for the F1600 series with FRP. FC within SCCA is nearly dead so avoid that, avoid FM for the same reason. Those classes will likely lose their Majors status after this year's runoffs. Think of F1600 as the unofficial start on the MRTI ladder. Make sure you get a degree before going to F1600 to have a back up plan.

Also, do some more research on the various series. Formula Lites died a few years ago.

Banned
    Liked: 1116

I've been looking at the fields that run both here and in Alabama and Southern California (two places I'm planning to go to for college) and FV and FF are the only ones that have cars competing in all three. So right now, my plan is to get an FV, run for 2-4 years
    Smart to chose the university without concern about the strength of the local racing.

FV racing in SoCal is not exactly booming. There are few fast people, but not enough to really challenge you to learn as much as you need to learn in the next couple of years. Don't know what it's like in Alabama.

If you do find yourself in SoCal you will not find more intense karting options in the USA. For whatever reason(s) that option doesn't sound like something you are considering, despite all the advice.

After you've climbed the proverbial ladder as high as you are able coming back to club race is a great lifelong hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl DeArman View Post
    Smart to chose the university without concern about the strength of the local racing.

FV racing in SoCal is not exactly booming. There are few fast people, but not enough to really challenge you to learn as much as you need to learn in the next couple of years. Don't know what it's like in Alabama.

If you do find yourself in SoCal you will not find more intense karting options in the USA. For whatever reason(s) that option doesn't sound like something you are considering, despite all the advice.

After you've climbed the proverbial ladder as high as you are able coming back to club race is a great lifelong hobby.
    It's just that climbing through karting doesn't seem all too viable, plus people have recommended moving through FV to MRTI. If I'm going to do this through college I don't want to spend $30,000 for a season in a nationally competitive karting class.

Liked: 151

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl DeArman View Post
    But you should absolutely choose your school based on the strength of the football team. Roll Tide.

8. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Elwell View Post
    i would suggest starting in FV, make an attempt at a few Runoffs in FV (sometimes the fields in the southeast can be small) and then aim for the F1600 series with FRP. FC within SCCA is nearly dead so avoid that, avoid FM for the same reason. Those classes will likely lose their Majors status after this year's runoffs. Think of F1600 as the unofficial start on the MRTI ladder. Make sure you get a degree before going to F1600 to have a back up plan.

Also, do some more research on the various series. Formula Lites died a few years ago.
    Yeah I was looking at F1600 too. Didn't realize FL already died, it only started in 2015...

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    But you should absolutely choose your school based on the strength of the football team. Roll Tide.
    In Alabama, I meant Auburn

Liked: 303

In Alabama, I meant Auburn
    Ouch.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information