Thread: FRP at Indy

Contributing Member
    Liked: 862

Default FRP at Indy

In response to a number of people asking about where to find the entry lists...FRP just posted our entry for the event on our website- I don't think its complete yet, but what we have so far.

The schedule and group listings found on the SVRA site have not been updated yet. Modern FF and F1600 is run group 7 and all will be on radial tires. FRP registered drivers will be racing for championship points. There will be a series of emails coming with details starting this week.
    ----------
    In memory of Joe Stimola and Glenn Phillips

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 27

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Wright View Post
    In response to a number of people asking about where to find the entry lists...FRP just posted our entry for the event on our website- I don't think its complete yet, but what we have so far.

The schedule and group listings found on the SVRA site have not been updated yet. Modern FF and F1600 is run group 7 and all will be on radial tires. FRP registered drivers will be racing for championship points. There will be a series of emails coming with details starting this week.

I'm a little surprised to be the first to reply, but Andy Brumbaugh deserves a special salute. His family-run Ford powered car was a match for the big name Honda-powered teams throughout the weekend at IMS. Well done Andy, hope you'll come back for more F1600 Championship races.

4. The following 7 users liked this post:

Liked: 201

Quote Originally Posted by gfastr View Post
    I'm a little surprised to be the first to reply, but Andy Brumbaugh deserves a special salute. His family-run Ford powered car was a match for the big name Honda-powered teams throughout the weekend at IMS. Well done Andy, hope you'll come back for more F1600 Championship races.
    Thank you. It was a good weekend for us. I am pretty certain that Saturday would have ended with me on the podium at worst if not for an accident and Sunday 4th was still a nice result. It is fun racing against the 'kids' and I hope to do more events in the future.

6. The following 5 users liked this post:

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4346

It was absolutely the best racing of the weekend, with not only Andy up front, but club racers, Payne, Horan, and Benson, running in an extended lead pack (with the kids and Joe). Haas, Rubenzer, and Smith, were not very far behind, and the Driver Services group not far before them .............. then a big pack to follow, and some stragglers. Unfortunately, some chose not to register with FRP, so the documentation does not match the great track action, but it was spectacular.

Hopefully, we can get some of these drivers out to more races this year and build this into next year. There is absolutely no reason why we cannot have a half-dozen single-class events next year with 30 car fields at a helluva lot better racetracks than this "brickyard roval". There would be no other racing series even close to providing the quality of competition, even before factoring in the provided value.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

8. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 19

Quote Originally Posted by andyllc View Post
    Thank you. It was a good weekend for us. I am pretty certain that Saturday would have ended with me on the podium at worst if not for an accident and Sunday 4th was still a nice result. It is fun racing against the 'kids' and I hope to do more events in the future.
    Nice job Andy! Good to see you again

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 30

We had a great time this weekend. Lots of great battles happening throughout the field, and great fun running with some drivers we haven't raced with before. I believe the track was much tougher to get right than originally thought.

Below is a link to video from Sunday's race. Looking forward to Mid-Ohio in a few weeks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMPGTQU1__s&t=21s

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 492

Hey Chris,
    I assume you are entering the FRP F1600 section of Mid Ohio over the weekend just preceding July 4, we, Right Coast, actually requested Bob Wright and FRP alter the schedule so as to allow any FF/F1600 entrant wanting to run both FRP F1600 AND the Right Coast sessions and races.
    Rather than back to back they are separated so this is actually doable if you want additional track time.
    Just planting the seed.....

14. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by chrisH View Post
    We had a great time this weekend. Lots of great battles happening throughout the field, and great fun running with some drivers we haven't raced with before. I believe the track was much tougher to get right than originally thought.
    Awesome job Chris. Cool to see someone just show up and be so competitive against that competition.

Liked: 341

Chris,

First, great video. Looked like a lot of fun. Too bad there was a full course caution that made the end uneventful but... it happens.

Question. What is happening on some of the upshifts? There are a number of ocassions in which you make the shift, the RPM starts to come up but then gets dragged down before heading north again. Was something slipping? Are you clutching the upshifts? I cannot imagine that all of the spots that it happens that the corner is such that it just binds up the drive. I have not heard shifts like that in a FF before.

Thanks
    Eric Little

17. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Little View Post
    Chris,

First, great video. Looked like a lot of fun. Too bad there was a full course caution that made the end uneventful but... it happens.

Question. What is happening on some of the upshifts? There are a number of ocassions in which you make the shift, the RPM starts to come up but then gets dragged down before heading north again. Was something slipping? Are you clutching the upshifts? I cannot imagine that all of the spots that it happens that the corner is such that it just binds up the drive. I have not heard shifts like that in a FF before.

Thanks
    Eric Little

Thanks, Greg. Mike, that sounds like a tall order. Three hours of track time on the weekend may be enough for us, but we'll see how the event at the Glen next weekend pans out first.

Good eye, Eric. I didn't notice that before, but I assume you are referencing my 1st to 2nd shift coming to the chicane onto the back straight and my 1st to 2nd shift after the slow left hander coming onto the front straight? It doesn't appear to happen from 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 4th.

I don't have a good answer as to why that is happening. I am not using the clutch. I thought my 2nd gear might've been a bit tall for the track, hence my downshift to 1st in a couple of the corners that could probably be taken properly in 2nd. I haven't had a chance to dive into the data (which I am still learning) or overlay the video with the data. It does look like every time it happens I lose about a car length or so to the car in front of me. Any ideas?

Chris

Liked: 341

I didn't notice that before, but I assume you are referencing my 1st to 2nd shift coming to the chicane onto the back straight and my 1st to 2nd shift after the slow left hander coming onto the front straight? It doesn't appear to happen from 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 4th.

I don't have a good answer as to why that is happening. I am not using the clutch. I thought my 2nd gear might've been a bit tall for the track, hence my downshift to 1st in a couple of the corners that could probably be taken properly in 2nd. I haven't had a chance to dive into the data (which I am still learning) or overlay the video with the data. It does look like every time it happens I lose about a car length or so to the car in front of me. Any ideas?

Chris

After watching again, it does only seem to happen on the 1st to 2nd shift. So over-gearing of 2nd makes sense. The initial high rev could then be from the flywheel and other rotating mass keeping momentum and finally getting dragged down.

I am relatively new to this. I can observe reasonably well but fixing things is a different story (just watch my driving. I can tell you every place I screw up yet in the next video, the mistakes are not completely fixed. Meh. Still having fun).

Have you looked at the mathematical RPM drop for the 1 - 2 shift v. all of the others? That could be informative. I use this link to see the RPM drop. http://www.auto-ware.com/calcs/gears/gears.htm

Good luck and post more video, I need to learn how to battle in big packs like that and watching is learning.

Eric Little

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1898

The clutch is slipping. It gets worse as the race goes along.

Time to place a parts order !
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Little View Post
    After watching again, it does only seem to happen on the 1st to 2nd shift. So over-gearing of 2nd makes sense. The initial high rev could then be from the flywheel and other rotating mass keeping momentum and finally getting dragged down.

I am relatively new to this. I can observe reasonably well but fixing things is a different story (just watch my driving. I can tell you every place I screw up yet in the next video, the mistakes are not completely fixed. Meh. Still having fun).

Have you looked at the mathematical RPM drop for the 1 - 2 shift v. all of the others? That could be informative. I use this link to see the RPM drop. http://www.auto-ware.com/calcs/gears/gears.htm

Good luck and post more video, I need to learn how to battle in big packs like that and watching is learning.

Eric Little
    Quote Originally Posted by stonebridge20 View Post
    The clutch is slipping. It gets worse as the race goes along.

Time to place a parts order !

Thanks, guys. The entire engine/clutch/gearbox package has been used less than 3 full weekends on this car. We didn't have the 2nd gear recommended to us available, so we went with the closest we had. After putting the gears into the Auto ware calculator Eric provided the link to, it makes more sense. The RPM drop from 1st to 2nd is much more with what we were running versus what it would have been with the 2nd gear recommended to us.

Chris

[QUOTE]
    Thanks, guys. The entire engine/clutch/gearbox package has been used less than 3 full weekends on this car.

Cool, but your clutch is still slipping.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 131

If the clutch was slipping wouldn't the revs increase but not the speed?
    Stephen Adams
    RF92 Van Diemen FFord
    1980 Lola T540 FFord

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Quote Originally Posted by old 59 View Post

If the clutch was slipping wouldn't the revs increase but not the speed?
    Yes, that's what I think we are hearing/seeing when the shift if first completed and then when we hear the rpms drop that's when the clutch is no longer slipping and the RPMS are now matching wheel speed.

25. The following members LIKED this post:

I thought he was just using the brake pedal for a dead pedal, or he had a mechanical issue creating a similar effect.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 215

Good lines wished I would have figured that out earlier.
    Curious, entry says you are a Honda,mine goes on hard limiter around 6700 didn't hear anything even at 7000 does FRP have a different map?

Contributing Member
    Liked: 862

Honda ecu's are sealed. FRP has no access to the map.

It certainly sounds like a slipping clutch to me. Specifically, my first impression was it might be a slow retraction of the slave cylinder piston, but if you're not using the clutch....

Quote Originally Posted by jim morgan View Post
    Good lines wished I would have figured that out earlier.
    Curious, entry says you are a Honda,mine goes on hard limiter around 6700 didn't hear anything even at 7000 does FRP have a different map?
    The 7200 or so shift points got my attention but I chalked that up to data calibration since the MPH was wacky.

Thread Information