Contributing Member
    Liked: 47

Default SCCA Names Brand Builder, Competitor New President/CEO

https://www.scca.com/articles/200628...-president-ceo

TOPEKA, Kan. (May 15, 2017) -- After an extensive and thoughtful search process, Sports Car Club of America® proudly announces Michael Cobb as the organization’s new President and Chief Executive Officer. An SCCA® member with more than 25 years of diverse experience transforming brands, companies and cultures, Cobb will officially embrace his new role June 1 with the Club.

The Dallas-area resident comes to the SCCA after serving as Chief Marketing Officer for Gold’s Gym, one of the most recognized names in fitness. During his tenure at Gold's Gym, Cobb leveraged his marketing, business development and operations leadership skills to help reposition the company, expand the brand's footprint and deliver new products that capitalize on emerging consumer trends.

Lee Hill, Chairman of SCCA’s 13-member Board of Directors, said Cobb emerged as an extremely strong candidate from the seven finalists considered for the position. After a 13-0 vote, Cobb was identified as the unanimous choice by Board members.

“There were three very strong candidates at the end of the interview process who all met the criteria being sought,” Hill noted. “Michael’s skill and experience in marketing and as a franchisor gave him an edge, and all 13 members of the Board believe he’s best for this position. Michael can come into this exciting opportunity knowing the Board is solidly invested in his hire, which will give him a strong foundation for future success.”
    Prior to Gold’s Gym, Cobb established a strong track record developing and operating several different agency business units for Omnicom, one of the most dynamic marketing communication companies in the world. He has led marketing efforts for brands such as Pizza Hut, Burger King, Pepsi, Lipton, KFC, Dannon and Frito-Lay. He has shown a particular knack for “activating” brands and businesses with solutions that attract customers, inspire stakeholders, create community and drive growth.

Cobb graduated with a bachelor’s degree in advertising from Sam Houston State University, and went on to graduate from Omnicom's Global Senior Management Program and The STAGEN Integral Leadership Program. In his new position as SCCA President/CEO, Cobb is tasked with structuring, building, managing and leading effective staff and operational efforts. He will partner with the Board of Directors and staff to craft, update and forward the vision, mission and strategic goals of the organization. His role includes functioning as a leader, ambassador, spokesperson and representative, as well as becoming the “face of the SCCA.” The assignment requires collaboratively engaging with and supporting the Board of Directors to ensure highly effective governance, leadership and policy setting efforts. He will model and inspire a positive, cooperative, inclusive and fun Club culture and brand, as well as advance the highest safety and ethical standards on behalf of SCCA members, regions, participants, staff, spectators and other key stakeholders.

“At the highest level, this opportunity is about building relationships and stewardship,” Cobb said. “Strengthening relationships based on trust across the BoD, regions, staff, membership and our valued partners will continue to be job one. And with regard to stewardship, it is about doing all we can, collectively, to ensure we build a solid foundation that sets the SCCA up for much more success across the next 70 years.”

While Cobb arrives at the SCCA with fantastic professional credentials, he also brings with him a love of motorsport. He grew up in admiration of his father, an autocrosser who won local SCCA events with regularity. Racing firmly embedded in his DNA, Cobb established his competition “career” at an early age by winning a Texas Soap Box Derby event, and competed in the Nationals in Akron, Ohio. In 2007, he began participating in SCCA autocross with the Texas Region, claimed the Novice of the Year award in his first full season of competition, and competed in the Tire Rack SCCA Solo Nationals. Through such participation, Cobb discovered what keeps SCCA members returning year after year.

“Of course, the thrill of competition and having fun with cars is a big part of the SCCA lifestyle,” Cobb noted. “The camaraderie and ‘relationships’ built through Club activities are a huge part of the equation, too. I am just as passionate about building relationships based on trust, respect and integrity as I am about winning my class at the next autocross event.”

The search for a new President/CEO began late last year. Before applicants were sought, SCCA’s Board of Directors worked extensively with a consulting firm to outline attributes for an ideal candidate. Nearly 100 people applied for the position. The Board of Directors, after two anonymous votes, narrowed the field down to seven candidates for the interview phase. The finalists completed surveys that helped identify strengths and management styles in March 2017 before in-person interviews with the Board of Directors.

About SCCA:
    The Sports Car Club of America®, Inc., founded in 1944, is a 67,500-member motorsports organization that incorporates all facets of autocross, rally and road racing at both club and professional levels. With headquarters in Topeka, Kansas, the SCCA annually sanctions over 2,000 events through its 116 Regions and subsidiary divisions. To learn more, please visit www.scca.com.
    Last edited by dc; 05.15.17 at 3:27 PM.

Liked: 227

Wow - 6 hours and the haters haven't started hatin' yet. Shocking on Apex.

Liked: 3787

Cory,

I fluctuate between two thoughts:

1. so what, who cares, what difference does it make.

and

2. well, lets give this guy a chance and see what develops.

either opinion; there is not much to write about at this point.

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member John Nesbitt's Avatar
    Liked: 899

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post
    Cory,

I fluctuate between two thoughts:

1. so what, who cares, what difference does it make.

and

2. well, lets give this guy a chance and see what develops.

either opinion; there is not much to write about at this point.

I go with Door Number 2.

He sounds like a car guy. And, heaven knows, the club needs to build its brand.

Let's give him a chance. And hope that the BOD does, too.
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4346

Interesting that the BOD thinks it is more important to grow the brand, than fix and support the current structure and membership. Unsupported expansion has brought us to the current mess. Lets hope the BOD brings in proper support for the new guy, or he has lots of friends with leadership and administration skills, so that "building the brand" will be a positive direction.

Interesting that the gym business model is selling memberships that will get used a few times then forgotten about. That business only needs to provide ongoing support for a small percentage of its membership base.

Good luck to everyone involved!
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

8. The following 4 users liked this post:

Liked: 307

Observations from over the years - it has always appeared the biggest conflicts have always been between the President and the Board, that never exists in one form long enough, to accomplish any goal that has been set. With 3 year terms and 2 term limits, the board is churning and changing before any real initiative can be accomplished.

Good luck Mr. President in herding the cats of the BOD.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 218

Quote Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
    Interesting that the gym business model is selling memberships that will get used a few times then forgotten about. That business only needs to provide ongoing support for a small percentage of its membership base.
    We'll be going to a monthly payment model which is almost impossible to cancel. On the other hand, the week of free trial accompanied by a sales pitch is sure to bring in more memberships.

In all seriousness, I wish SCCA the best of luck. Please fix the mess.
    www.wrenchaholics.com

Rental, Coaching, and Data Analysis for Great Lakes Region

11. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 597

I believe it will partly start with simple exposure........example: there are various broadcast SCCA events that remain in the realm of the 'secret car club' because the SCCA is maybe seen as a patch on the lower part of a driving suit and never mentioned by anyone be it driver or broadcaster or sticker seen on a car even though it's there.......whereas about three total seconds go by and someone is showing, saying or whatever the word......is it a word?.......nascar........
    I'd like to thank NAZ for having my NAZ car here at the NAZ 199 where I finished NAZ 3rd in my NAZ car .......blah blah blah......
    I virtually never hear the letters SCCA .........fix that......otherwise how will a neophyte come to learn of the SCCA???????
    Continental this or Pro that but no SCCA ANYTHING

13. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 319

Default I'll wait and see, but....

My concern here is that the bloke is an autocrosser, and so was his dad. My only concern is Club Racing; I could care less about autocross or SCCA Pro.

What kind of attention will club racing, one of the smaller and shrinking elements of SCCA, get from the new administration?
    Lola: When four springs just aren't enough.

Thread Information