Liked: 442

Default NWFC at Pacific Raceways May 27/28

Registration is now open.

https://www.motorsportreg.com/events...-events-861009

4 already signed up on day one so lets get the ball rolling with a good turn out for the season opener.

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 30

Planning on it. Moving back from Florida Wednesday. Then I get me new transponder number and register!

Russ
    Slingshot Racing #99

4. The following members LIKED this post:

RSS

Liked: 13

That's a sad looking entry list for the entire event with only 2 weeks to go.....
    I hope it gets better

Quote Originally Posted by 03 db View Post
    That's a sad looking entry list for the entire event with only 2 weeks to go.....
    I hope it gets better
    It looks like we have the whole track to our selves!

Liked: 123

Quote Originally Posted by RSS View Post
    Where's the schedule? I don't see it on the registration page.

Edit: oh I see, even the sports cars are not signing up. Just us, one miata, and some time trial stuff.

Liked: 13

Quote Originally Posted by RSS View Post
    Roger, I like your positive outlook

Liked: 210

Sign ups for Pacific have always been slow. Don't know why, just the way its been for years. Like the last week there will be a flurry.
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

We are up to 7 now. More please!

Liked: 120

I heard Scott Morton will be there too. So that makes 8 that we know will show. If anybody else is planning on attending let me know in the next 24 hours so I can send out an accurate race preview on Monday or Tuesday.

Liked: 14

Don't know if I will be there or not. Oil pump has decided not to work and I don't have a spare.

Scott you meant to say I am just working on getting my oil pump working see you guys next week.

PS. Didn't you get that rebuilt at the end of last season?

Liked: 14

Good news, the pump would not build pressure just cranking but after talking to TDC they said to just start it so I did and pressure came back.

Good to hear add Brad and Reny to the list and we have an even 10.

Default Pacific Preview 2017

Zetec
    WIth only 3 Zetec’s planning on attending as of the writing of this preview, someone will need to sweep the weekend in order, just as Mitch Egner did in 2016. He still finished second on the overall podium for the weekend. This year it doesn’t look as though he will be running with us as he is having success down in the Pacific F2000 series. This year, look for Russ Werner, in his new Zetec, to put on a strong showing and sit atop the podium after missing the weekend last year due to an unexpected ailment. Brad Law also brings a new car to the field and will look to improve upon what he achieved in his Pinto powered Citation. Scott Morton will look to continue his improvements as he gets more used to his Van Dieman after a season that was cut short last year. If things come together for him, he has more experience at the track than nearly every other driver and won many a closed-wheeled race here in the past, look for him to challenge the other cars in class.

Pinto
    The Pinto field will most likely be large enough to award full bonus points, so look for the winner of this class to take the weekend overall. Reny Follett won both races last year and will look to do so again this year as the clear favorite. Hot on his heels will be Greg Coffin who will most likely be in his Pinto that has put in many a strong lap around Pacific. Dane Babkirk had a very strong showing here last year and improved every time out in his newer pinto last year, so look for that trend to continue. Newcomer Steve Rogers has tons of experience in carts around the Pacific Northwest. Look for his carting experience to carry over and lead to some success in the series after he gets his feet wet in the new car. Making their return to the NWFC field the Fass Bros. will now be fielding two cars instead of rotating between the one. Looking forward to seeing them back out there!

Overall
    Look for the overall podium to be a mix of Follet, Coffin, and Werner, but don’t be surprised to see Dane Babkirk in the mix. Rogers and Morton could also be contenders if the weekends go their way. And if Brad Law’s car does him well we could see a really strong weekend. We could see even more of a shakeup if a couple of people from Vancouver can find a way to make it down, or someone decides to run a Zetec instead of a Pinto at the last minute. Regardless, those drivers making the trek to Pacific are in for a fun weekend.

Liked: 6

Default Important Information?

The real question I have is-

Who is going to have Monaco and Indy on in their trailer so we can watch?
    Last edited by suzrm121; 05.22.17 at 5:53 PM. Reason: sp

I think the Jackson Dean racing guys have a TV set up. They are registered too so all you need to do is buddy up with them.

Heads up, NWR changed up the run groups late yesterday based on who had signed up. They split Formula Continental into its own run group. Should make for some outstanding single class racing!

20. The following 2 users liked this post:

Update to the preview:

Brad Law and Reny Follet couldn't end up making it this weekend, but will be out at events later in the season. Steve Litsky is back out after a few years off from racing. Greg Coffin decided to bring the zetec instead of the pinto since it was ready to go from last weekend's super tour in Portland. He decided to actually torque the nuts In the hewland this week so look for the cars new found handling capabilities to actually make a difference. With the top two pintos from the preview not in the paddock look for Dane Babkirk to have an excellent shot at winning the overall prize this weekend.

schedule today is 9:50, 10:50, and 1:40

pics and results to post here as I receive them

Paddock is pretty vacant today. If your not here your missing out on a beautiful May day.

in Practice coffin ran 26's and Babkirk ran 27's. Will post time sheets when I get them. Quali is about to start.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Quali results

Looks like we're going to have some good racing today as Werner just edges out coffin for the pole. Babkirk lays down his fastest laps ever at pacific, as do the fass bros. Morton looks to be getting his VD around the track better too.

Late night update from the first race of the season.

Finishing order:

Russ Werner (Z) - 1:25.496
    Greg Coffin (Z) - 1:26.214
    Dane Babkirk (P) - 1:26.807
    Scott Morton (Z) - 1:27.614
    Geoff Fass (P) - 1:29.326
    Steve Rogers (P) - 1:30.029
    Tim Fass (P) - DNS
    Steve Litsky (P) - DNS

Not a lot of action in this one that I heard about. Coffin and Werner spent most of the race a couple seconds apart from each other, but as they made their way past lapped traffic Werner's lead ballooned up to 11 sec at the finish. Coffin is on Avon's and Werner on Pirelli's so we'll see if this makes any difference in tomorrow's outcome. Babkirk put together a strong run in his Pinto and of all goes to plan tomorrow should take the weekend overall if he is able to maintain his pace. I heard Tim Fass had a catastrophic engine failure that kept him out. No word on why Litsky didn't start. Congrats to newcomer Steve Rogers on his NWFC debut.

Looking forward to another beautiful day tomorrow.

25. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 33

Quote Originally Posted by ccoffin View Post
    Late night update from the first race of the season.

Finishing order:

Tim Fass (P) - DNS
    Steve Litsky (P) - DNS

Not a lot of action in this one that I heard about. Coffin and Werner spent most of the race a couple seconds apart from each other, but as they made their way past lapped traffic Werner's lead ballooned up to 11 sec at the finish. Coffin is on Avon's and Werner on Pirelli's so we'll see if this makes any difference in tomorrow's outcome. Babkirk put together a strong run in his Pinto and of all goes to plan tomorrow should take the weekend overall if he is able to maintain his pace. I heard Tim Fass had a catastrophic engine failure that kept him out. No word on why Litsky didn't start. Congrats to newcomer Steve Rogers on his NWFC debut.

Looking forward to another beautiful day tomorrow.
    What time is the race today?

1:40 today Rick

Quali today left us with the exact same grid as yesterday's finishing order.

28. The following 2 users liked this post:

Thanks

Great race guys itching to be out there.

Video from the race https://youtu.be/iZBQXt0vrBU

32. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 210

I just watched some of the video. WOW looks really good, sure do miss the old track and the Reynard.. sigh.

But a question. Have they modified the apex of turn 5?? It doesn't look any where near as abrupt as it used to be. Seems like cars are going over it much smoother and less violently and the hill doesn't look any where near as steep.
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb99 View Post
    I just watched some of the video. WOW looks really good, sure do miss the old track and the Reynard.. sigh.

But a question. Have they modified the apex of turn 5?? It doesn't look any where near as abrupt as it used to be. Seems like cars are going over it much smoother and less violently and the hill doesn't look any where near as steep.
    I don't believe they modified 5 at all. The videos never do the elevation changes at Seattle justice.

I'll get a write-up done later tonight. What race two lacked in cars it made up for in close racing.

Liked: 6

Default Thanks for the Video

Thanks for posting the Video Spengo,

I remember you being a lot closer than the video shows! That was a great battle.

Geoff-

Quote Originally Posted by suzrm121 View Post
    Thanks for posting the Video Spengo,

I remember you being a lot closer than the video shows! That was a great battle.

Geoff-
    It's because of the fisheye lens gopros have, makes everything seem farther away than it really is.

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

Quote Originally Posted by Spengo View Post
    It's because of the fisheye lens gopros have, makes everything seem farther away than it really is.
    You can adjust the FOV on most of them..... The default is wide......

38. The following members LIKED this post:

Default Slingshot Racing Race Report

Where's the Charlie report?

For us the weekend went pretty well. Got to the track late Thursday night with the intention of running the car in testing Friday to figure out the new Slingshot car and the new tires. Crewing for me was KC, aka Scamper Bitch, and Kyle (ex's nephew) who was wrenching for me for the first time in years. We made changes every session and rebolted **** that tried to fall off each time as well. By the end of the day we were worried more about things like weekend sound control and evening cocktails, which was a good thing.

Saturday greeted us with a pole, ahead of Coffin. That was a miracle as we (I) thought we were group 2 and nearly missed qualifying. Got two laps in, one of which I liked as I got a nice tow. Tire temps were still not to our liking but we were getting closer. Race time came and we got the jump on Greg and slowly pulled away. He was always in my mirrors but got caught in traffic which killed his chances.

Sunday morning we skipped practice, electing to save the tires. Did two quick qualifying laps and managed to pip Greg for the pole again. Due to attrition, only 4 would take the green on Sunday. This time, in the race Greg got me at the start and I stayed tied to him with a short string. Two laps in I notice my car isn't making power and is misfiring badly. I start dropping back at a rate of a second or two a lap but every now and then it would run fine and I would start clawing back. With about 5 to go it mostly came back and I was able to catch him with 2 to go. Dive bombed him into 3A and we went side by side through there and 3B with a nice drag race out of there. I managed to just get ahead and hold him off to the finish for a perfect weekend. Nice to race close and clean with Greg.

All in all I like the new car. Handling is very similar to my RF95, just better. Zero bad habits and easy to drive. Especially good in the big sweeper. Now to figure out why it was running like **** Sunday after running flawless all weekend. That is my task when I get back to town next week.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Slingshot RF00
    Photos by Kirk Myhre at www.myhrecreative.com
    Last edited by drdestructo; 05.30.17 at 8:01 PM.

40. The following members LIKED this post:

Looks like you want to bet some beer on the Spokane race there Russ.

Sure! I already told Greg and Susan that I was putting up a bottle of Ron Zacapa 23 to the overall winner at Spokane!

Took longer than I anticipated to finish this up. See you guys in Spokane.

Quali 1

Quali 1 came a very short time after morning practice on day one that left many drivers with very little time to perform any sort of turn -round on their cars before taking to the track. In the confusion, Russ Werner nearly missed qualifying thinking he was going out with a later group. In the only two laps he got out for he managed to barely nab the pole away from Greg Coffin, by 0.157 seconds. Dane Babkirk continued his streak of improving performances from last year to take the pinto pole by a hefty margin and slot in third overall. Scott Morton looked like his car was finally starting to do him some favors as he ended up gridding fourth. Tim Fass, making his NWFC Debut laid down a solid qualifying time, but would also have his driving weekend come to an end with an engine failure. The other half of Fass Bros would qualify with a slightly slower time, but string together a more successful weekend. Steve Litsky also made his return to racing after a long absence, but would not compete the rest of the weekend. Steve Rogers was a noticeable absence, but would make his debut later in the afternoon.

Quali 1 Results
    Russ Werner (Z) - 1:25.276 z
    Greg Coffin (Z) - 1:25.433 z
    Dane Babkirk (P) - 1:26.251 p
    Scott Morton (Z) - 1:28.156 z
    Tim Fass (P) - 1:28.525 p
    Geoff Fass (P) - 1:28.775 p
    Steve Litsky (P) - 1:43.751 p

Steve Rogers (P) - No Time

Race 1
    Race 1 was really straight forward with not much of interest to write about. The drivers finished in the order they were grid in. Greg Coffin was within a couple of seconds of Werner throughout most of the race, but never got truly close enough to really challenge. When the two hit traffic Werner made it through quickly and Coffin did not. Dane Babkirk continued to run strong and looked like he would easily claim the maximum points available for the weekend. Steve Rogers made his debut, and got quicker with nearly every lap he turned.

Race 1 Results

Tim Fass (P) - DNS
    Steve Litsky (P) - DNS

Quali 2
    Quali 2 saw a couple of drivers make modest improvements in lap times, however, once again there wasn’t much excitement from this session as the grid order for Sunday’s race was the exact same as the finishing order for Saturday’s race. This would have led one to believe that the race would be mostly a parade. Of note, Dane Babkirk had his shift linkage break.

Quali 2 Results
    Russ Werner (Z) - 1:25.094
    Greg Coffin (Z) - 1:26.471
    Dane Babkirk (P) - 1:26.592
    Scott Morton (Z) - 1:27.772
    Geoff Fass (P) - 1:28.807
    Steve Rogers (P) - 1:29.495

Tim Fass (P) - No Time
    Steve Litsky (P) - No Time

Race 2
    Even though an uneventful session was foreshadowed, the exact opposite occurred. Leading up to the race Babkirk was unable to get his linkage repaired in time and would have to miss the weekend’s final session. Scott Morton’s Van Dieman had it’s evil gremlins rear their ugly heads, and couldn’t get his car to start. Only four cars would take the start. Greg Coffin got the jump on the start and would take the lead into turn one. Steve Rogers now with nearly a full weekends worth of experience at the track was able to stay right on top of Geoff Fass. Coffin would pull away from Werner over the next couple of laps as Russ was experiencing what felt like a fuel delivery issue. Meanwhile, Rogers hung close to Fass, nose-to-tail until a missed shift caused him to lose a significant amount of time. Back at the front, it appeared as though Coffin’s signature consistency would lead him to another NWFC victory as he rattled off consistant 1:25’s, but Werner wasn’t going anywhere staying roughly 3 seconds back lap after lap. Given the chance to run without a car in front of him, Roger’s started improving on his lap times and worked his way back to Fass’s tail. Werner’s issues resolved and the chase was on, he gave it his all including turning the fastest lap of the weekend, an impressive 1:24.136 in much warmer conditions than last year’s July race. With a few laps to go both pairs of racers were nose-to-tail. Werner and Coffin had a tiny battle, the two cars being faster in different spots. Coffin clearly quicker on the straight and Werner much faster through 3a and 3b. Werner put himself in position to make a move and did so into 3a diving out of the complex quicker than Coffin could manage. Coffin would still have a chance to take the lead back, but was in too much of a hurry to make it happen and attempted the move too early instead of waiting for the opportunity to come where his car had the advantage. Werner would win the battle of race craft today and take the win by 7 tenths of a second. Meanwhile, Rogers was unable to get past Fass who would win the pinto race by just under 4 tenths of a second. Werner would sit atop the weekend podium, with Geoff Fass finishing in a surprising second overall.

Race 2 Results
    Russ Werner (Z) - 1:24.136
    Greg Coffin (Z) - 1:25.436
    Geoff Fass (P) - 1:28.311
    Steve Rogers (P) - 1:28.381

Dane Babkirk (P) - DNS
    Scott Morton (Z) - DNS
    Tim Fass (P) - DNS
    Steve Litsky (P) - DNS

Weekend Point Totals

Name Engine Race 1 Race 2 Total Overall Place Class Place
    Russ Werner Zetec
    Greg Coffin Zetec
    Scott Morton Zetec
    Geoff Fass Pinto
    Dane Babkirk Pinto
    Steve Rogers Pinto
    Tim Fass Pinto
    Steve Litsky Pinto

44. The following 3 users liked this post:

Nice write up

Liked: 145

Congratulations to Russ, Dane and Geoff, for their first NWFC wins.

see you all at Spokane

47. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information