Liked: 9

Default Proform 67650 Scales?

Anyone tried these for a FF or heard anything? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Proform-6765...-/111602275414
    Mark
    1990 Van Diemen, the Racing Machine, CM AutoX, 2016 Frontier
    You can try to make a street car into an autocrosser or you can do a lot less work and make a race car into a great autocrosser

Liked: 80

Very Interesting Mark, will have to keep an eye on this.

Ben

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1261

I've looked at these before and reading the reviews on Amazon and Summit make me think it's a roll of the dice.

Liked: 942

Default Tanner Scales

I have a set of these. They are well made in USA. They work well and you can get them calibrated, repaired or just buy parts you need.

http://www.mittlerbros.com/index.php...acescales.html
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Quote Originally Posted by DanW View Post
    I have a set of these. They are well made in USA. They work well and you can get them calibrated, repaired or just buy parts you need.

http://www.mittlerbros.com/index.php...acescales.html

So what's their advantage over longacres? or Intercomps?

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBudgetRacing View Post
    For starters, 70% of cost. Smaller so probably lighter. Come w/ a bag.
    Mark
    You can try to make a street car into an autocrosser or you can do a lot less work and make a race car into a great autocrosser

Quote Originally Posted by mwizard View Post
    For starters, 70% of cost. Smaller so probably lighter. Come w/ a bag.
    Mark
    The Mittler scales Dan was referring to seem to be the same price as longacres. Same size.
    I don't see that they come with a case either.

Liked: 942

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBudgetRacing View Post
    Their support and service is awesome. The case is extra. I don't have space for a case. They live on a shelf in the garage.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Ok, spending my tax refund. i ordered a set. The low reviews were from 3 yrs ago. Will report.
    Mark

Liked: 41

Some of the reviews say they are plastic, but Jegs clearly lists the material as aluminum.

Interesting. It would be nice to save $300...

Quote Originally Posted by OneWayOut View Post
    Some of the reviews say they are plastic, but Jegs clearly lists the material as aluminum.

They make some really good plastic these days.
    Mark

Contributing Member
    Liked: 470

Quote Originally Posted by OneWayOut View Post

Quote Originally Posted by mwizard View Post
    They make some really good plastic these days.
    Mark
    A good friend of mine has a set that I've used, and I can tell you that they are definitely all metal.

Scales arrived today so I put them to work. I made leveling pads and ramps for the front at the low end of the garage. The instructions said jack up the car and slide the pads under the wheels, so I did that for the back. Everything seemed to work well and the pads are just wide enough for the rears. I did not check the deeper levels of the screen(cross weight and several other things), next time. I did corner weight the front for balance and learned something new. Turning the front tires on the pads changed the weight a lot. I then realized that having both wheels pointed straight ahead was a min req. I found that one of my wheels was quite a bit off. Fixed that and then corner weighted the front.
    The other nice thing is that they come in a metal box w/ wheels and a luggage type tow handle.
    I will bring them to the Crows Tour in a week so you can ck them out, Ben.
    Mark

14. The following 2 users liked this post:

Have not used the scales again, but Nationals had the same units at the Crows Tour and they were not very well received. Seems that they weighed a bit on the light side(even compared to mine) and that position on the pads altered the reading a bit more than was pleasing to some drivers.
    Mark

I guess consistency is the main concern.

What would be interesting is if the next time you scaled your car, you weighed it, then swapped the scales left-to right and see if the weights come out the same.....

Liked: 26

I doubt they're inconsistent due to the scales. All of the electronics should be able to give repeatable numbers, although different scales may give different results for the same weight (put a 50lb weight or something on all of them to check). My guess would be that a lot of the cost savings versus the Intercomp scales is in how they balance the load when its not exactly centered over the load cell. Depending on how the scales are assembled, turning the tires while on the scales might even add forces the load cell isn't expecting. Coming up with a method of getting the car on the scales consistently in the same location, and having specific scales at specific corners should help with this.

Hub stands tend to be a popular option for scales; they replace flexible, sticky tires with a metal framework which might help make the setup more consistent. Turn plates may also help this, by allowing the tire to turn (steering wise) freely. The downside of these two options is they're not cheap, but on the upside, they should make alignments very quick. The cheaper version of turn plates is a tile with grease between the tile and the scale.
    Patrick Cleary

18. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 41

Has anyone else had any luck with the Proform 67650 scales? Is the smaller pad size a problem?

For another $450, both the Intercomp SW500 and Longacre AccuSet have a standard 15x15x2.5 size pad. Seems like those would fit a lot better in the wide variety of levelers, racks, and ramps that are available.

Thread Information