Liked: 259

Default GCR piston rule question

reading the GCR tonight, I finally "saw/recognized" something that's been right in front of me for an unknown length of time. in the Kent piston rule, minimum weight is specified as:

515 grams (w/ clips, pins and rings)

what "pins" are being referred to in the rule as currently written ???

as shown in the attached image, wrist pin requirements are included in 6.

Art
    artesmith@earthlink.net
    Attached Images Attached Images

Liked: 348

The GCR has a long and storied history of repeating itself. Given that, the most straightforward reading is that the wrist pin weight is repeated. This is reinforced by the "pin" weight matching the "wrist pin" weight.
    Peter Olivola
    (polivola@gmail.com)

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1261

The way I read it, if you believe 'pins' are something mysterious and not the wrist pins, then the minimum weight of the assembly goes UP by 115 grams...

Is that what you want?

Liked: 259

my question is NOT with the fact that 5. includes "Weight of pin: 115 +/- 2 grams" and 6. includes "A. Weight is 115 +/- 2grams." they match. the question is specifically the plural "pins" (ie: the s) in 5. "Minimum weight 515 grams (w/clips, pins and rings)"........... why "pins" and not 'pin' when defining the make-up of the 515 grams??

Art
    artesmith@earthlink.net

Contributing Member John Nesbitt's Avatar
    Liked: 899

Quote Originally Posted by Art Smith View Post
    my question is NOT with the fact that 5. includes "Weight of pin: 115 +/- 2 grams" and 6. includes "A. Weight is 115 +/- 2grams." they match. the question is specifically the plural "pins" (ie: the s) in 5. "Minimum weight 515 grams (w/clips, pins and rings)"........... why "pins" and not 'pin' when defining the make-up of the 515 grams??

Art
    artesmith@earthlink.net

The GCR's technical specifications have gone through many, many, many iterations over the years. I guess about 50 years' worth in the case of Formula Ford (as was). It is no surprise that there are grammatical errors and/or artifacts of earlier versions. The surprise is that there are so few.

A CRB letter would get this corrected.

As always, let GCR 1.2.3.A. be your guide when reading the book.
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

6. The following 2 users liked this post:

Thread Information