Liked: 17

Default Oil Filter - Best Brand

What do you find is the best oil filter - for use on the remote oil filter block that many use?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By_...ew?usp=sharing
    John Ferreira
    FV 15

Liked: 310

Wix.

Liked: 309

Default ...or NAPA Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    Wix.
    NAPA Gold is another option as they are made by Wix.
    Chris Pruett
    Swift DB1

4. The following 2 users liked this post:

What are the advantages relative to their competition?

Contributing Member
    Liked: 480

Fit:

Most of these oil filter adapters were designed to take the Fram PH-8A or HP1.

These are a "Ford" based filter. Be careful if it was designed for a "Chevy" filter - different threads.

These are fairly large filters so when you use them on a formula car you look for either a shorter filter or a skinnier filter.

I found a K&N filter that is shorter and skinnier and that is what I have been using.

The critical thing is making sure the gasket is the right diameter and the threads are correct. If you cross reference filter without confirming the threads, you could end up with a metric thread that is close, but loosens up later.

There are filters with drain back plugs, but this is not critical if filters are mounted upright, but a bypass valve could be critical at start up when we have a lot of oil pressure.

Here are some resources:

http://www.fram.com/support/tech-specs/
    http://www.fram.com/media/64582/fram...sell-sheet.pdf
    http://www.fram.com/Search-Parts/Part-Detail?PN=PH8A (you can change Fram part #)

I assume other manufacturers have similar sites.

Design:

Most racers and street guys hate Fram. You can read many sites that cut filters apart and slam Fram. I am not too critical. A PH8A or HP1 is designed for a V8, so a FV engine is not going to be a problem.

Wix, Purolator, Autolite (Ford) used to be made by the same company - some people like these. I have been using K&N (HP-2009) because they are HD and I like the nut on the bottom.

If you run the oil filter off the pump it is a full flow system

If you run it off the oil cooler mount, it will be a bypass system.

At WalMart or similar, I usually go for the middle Fram Filter, AC, Bosch or Ford.
    I have the cross reference numbers in my phone if needed. Off brand or no brand filters are probably okay. Racing filters are probably overkill, but your choice.

ChrisZ

Liked: 41

I use Napa gold I think its a 1361 which is actually a Hydraulic filter which is a 5 micron filter.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 53

Default Oil Filter

Any filter that fits the older Jettas fits. I've used Mann, but if it fits the older VW it fits gasket and threads.

Liked: 67

I like Mann filters. Used as OE for many manufactures like BMW.
    My BMW takes oil filters that are the cartridge non-screw on type so you get to see the filter after you use it. I typically always buy Mann however one time I was driving by a Napa and they didn't have any in stock so I bought a napa filter... Next oil change I took the filter out and it broke in half. It tore apart like a wet rag with little bits of fibers falling off of it.
    I had bought a Mann filter for this oil change so I cleaned the housing and put this in instead. At the following oil change when I took the Mann filter out I tried to rip it apart to see if they degraded overtime. I could not get this thing to tear. I'm not saying Mann filters are the only ones that are any good but there are some **** filters out there...

This is what I run in my vee with a remote filter like the one pictured.
    https://www.amazon.com/Mann-Filter-7...ords=W+719%2F5

Liked: 247

Quote Originally Posted by FVRacer21 View Post

Design:

Most racers and street guys hate Fram. You can read many sites that cut filters apart and slam Fram. I am not too critical. A PH8A or HP1 is designed for a V8, so a FV engine is not going to be a problem.
    With all of the known failures that FRAM has caused and their use of cheaper materials as well as less than desireable design why wouldn't one spring for a nicer more proven filter? Yes FRAM is good for a V8 but is it good for an engine that is producing double the power it was meant to while turning almost double the RPM?

Go with WIX, Napa Gold, Royal purple or Mobil 1. There was a test some years ago on a Mustang forum and those are some of the ones that tested the best, can't seem to find it now or else I'd post it.

Brian

Liked: 605

Mobil 1 - with a FilterMag on its outside

FilterMag.com - call 'em
    Last edited by EYERACE; 03.27.17 at 9:31 AM.

Liked: 58

Autowerks uses Purolator on my engine so that's what I use.

Contributing Member Chris Elwell's Avatar
    Liked: 58

For what it's worth, I've used Fram with no problems. But I only use the filter for 2 weekends and then replace. I also used to use Fram on my mk4 GTI with no problems.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 480

I binged watched stripped naked filters on YouTube last night (do I have to erase my history?)

and even among a single filter manufacturer there were differences - most notable was the leaf spring vs coil spring for the relief valve - there seems to be no consistency even within one manufacturer.... The other was the amount of filter material. One K & N had the most filter area in one size comparison, and only 4th most in another size.... .

One guy found a mis-manufactured Fram, another rated it it in the top 3....

I think the consensus seems to be WIX, NAPA Gold, Mann, Purolator and if you pay for a Racing Filter (Like Fram HP series or K & N) most likely you will get a good filter.

Once you decide on a filter, you should see what it cross references to, just in case you are stuck somewhere that does not carry your filter (or carry a spare )

BTW - for guys new to FV, check to see that the hoses go into the filter correctly and did not get swapped. There should be arrows on the top of the adapter or marked in and out.

ChrisZ

16. The following members LIKED this post:

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Yep for certain applications one brand filter may be the best, while not so strong in other applications.

Saying this or that is the best brand filter is akin to saying that this or that brand tire is the best. I'm not putting Hoosier's on my RV and I'm not putting Michelin tires on my dirt bike.

I use OEM filters on my street cars just because I know they are properly spec'd for the job. I suspect that some of them may very well be made right next to a Fram.

18. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information