Liked: 447

Default Blackhawk Farms Major 2017

Just read the supps for the May Majors and we're race group 5A. Yep, we get our own race group!!! We qualify with the alphabet soup, but One Formula is estimating 20 FEs for this race so thank you to whomever put our own race group in place. If weather is good, this will be an awesome event and we look forward to returning to Blackhawk. Who is in the headcount for attending?

----------------------------
    Cutter, Matthew
    Goncalves, Luis
    Oppermann, Dean
    Smith, Daniel
    Keith Carter - No sun, no race
    Elliot Finlayson
    Marklein, Dennis
    Mueller, Michael
    Mason, Ray
    Dziewior, James
    Elliott Sohn
    Rhett Barkau
    Duncan, Charles
    David Budres

Yet to Register, but possibly attending
    ------------------------------------------------
    Quentin Nelson
    Marshall Mauney
    Becker Reardon
    Hanna Zellers - Rick out on business
    Tom Muffler - Tom is broken

Was registered and not anymore?!
    ------------------------------------------------
    Futcher, Rob
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

2. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 43

Elliot Finlayson will be there.

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 10

I am registered

Mat

Liked: 177

We will be there.
    I race communist race cars.

"Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling, there are rules." - Walter Sobchak

We're at 8! 12 more to go in order to reach the estimation!
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

Liked: 25

Dave

Everyone please register asap. Don't want to lose our own race! Credit card doesn't get charged till race day. Only 3 weeks to go

Who are some other potentials that we're missing? I'm not sure if Team Zellers is to be considered since I keep seeing a Swift FA posted all over Facebook and Instagram. What about the Mufflers, the Mauneys, and the Reardons?
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

Up to 10... Keep it going!
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

12. The following members LIKED this post:

dc

Contributing Member
    Liked: 15

+1 more!

Jim Dziewior

14. The following members LIKED this post:

dc

Down to 10... Going the wrong way here, people.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

Liked: 218

Pretty sure we're going to have Rhett Barkau, David Budres and possibly one more yet coming from One Formula.
    Competition One Racing
    racer6@mchsi.com

17. The following members LIKED this post:

Watched the results on race monitor. The new guys both did pretty well. I would think Quentin Nelson would be coming.

It looks like Elliott Sohn is planning on coming for Saturday. He has a previous commitment, but after getting his full comp he's trying to change flights to allow him to run with us on Saturday. I've been beating the bushes but most of the ones I was counting on earlier are at the fringe of the Conference and have various reasons for passing on Blackhawk.
    Competition One Racing
    racer6@mchsi.com

How many are we going to need to keep our own run group?

Rhett and Elliot are now registered bringing us to 12! I don't think there should be any trouble hanging onto our own race group. Here's the breakdown of the group:
    Class Totals:
    Formula Atlantic: 2
    Formula Continental: 2
    Formula Enterprises: 12
    Prototype 1: 4
    Prototype 2: 6
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

David Budres will be lucky number 13.
    Competition One Racing
    racer6@mchsi.com

Quote Originally Posted by SStadel View Post
    David Budres will be lucky number 13.
    Damn, I should have waited and I could have been lucky 13! Well, maybe the early bird gets the worm?!

Liked: 5

Default Separate Grouping Thank Steve Stadel

Everyone can thank Steve Stadel for the separate group. The only concern is that with the lower than expected turnout, next year might be in doubt. We really would like to see 18-20 cars for a single class group. We appreciate those of you who have entered, and entered early for our planning purposes.
    Jeff Kulawinski
    RE Blackhawk Valley Region

25. The following members LIKED this post:

Sadly, I won't be registering. I am awaiting surgery to replace several disks in my neck due to an injury I sustained fighting a residential house fire. Pretty much out for most of this year with rehab. But I plan to be back in the FE as soon as doctors release me.

Quote Originally Posted by turbotom90 View Post
    Sadly, I won't be registering. I am awaiting surgery to replace several disks in my neck due to an injury I sustained fighting a residential house fire. Pretty much out for most of this year with rehab. But I plan to be back in the FE as soon as doctors release me.
    Yikes!!! Stop being such a hero and you'll be able to race more! Get well soon, Tom!
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

28. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Carter View Post
    Yikes!!! Stop being such a hero and you'll be able to race more! Get well soon, Tom!
    Thanks Keith.

Up to 14!!! That's one hell of a race group for a run of the mill Majors!
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

Run of the mill Majors?! Kick off party tonight at One Formula tent. Renowned blues artist Dylan Doyle and his band food and beverages. Mazda stickers handouts and more. Crystal trophies for Sundays race.

Run of the mill Majors.......
    Competition One Racing
    racer6@mchsi.com

32. The following 2 users liked this post:

Lost one... Maybe Mueller dropped out because I said that? Why didn't you say in the first place there would be stickers!?
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

34. The following members LIKED this post:

Big shout out to Steve Stadel and the One Formula crew on an incredible weekend. Not only did the FE get our own race group both days which was awesome, thanks to Steve. He also threw a nice gathering Friday evening with a live band playing on the hauler lift gate, some great food and drink. Finally, One Formula also provided some really nice crystal trophies for the winners. The weather, though cool, was bright and sunny all 3 days. A great start to the northern GPFour series.

36. The following 3 users liked this post:

Just got home about an hour ago... First and foremost I need to apologize to the 5A race group for turning turn 6 into a slippery and sandy beach for a few laps. I had a double downshift and the rear snapped around on me. I didn't realize how bad of a mess I created until I followed Dean right off track onto the jagged tooth curbing after nearly losing it a second time on the following lap. I don't recall seeing a debris flag at all though, but at that point it was a bit obvious.

On Saturday, Dean was on pole with Elliot Finlayson grabbing the P2 slot later in qualifying with myself and Dave Budres rounding out the front two rows. I settled into third after the start and was there a couple laps until Dave and Mat got by me and then both had a bobble (at separate times) and handed the P3 slot back to me.... only a couple laps later to go off in turn 1 into a makeshift retention pond from the rain from the night before after being pressured by Rhett Barkau for a few laps. I was able to make it back on track after surrendering a few positions to end up taking 5th after a somewhat awkward last lap from what I was told. Elliot Finlayson snapped an input shaft coming out of the last corner and coasted to a stop before the checker and Dean won the race from a roll through the pit lane! Congrats to Dean, Rhett, and Elliot Sohn!

On Sunday, Dean still held to the top spot as well as Elliot Finlayson on the outside of row 1. David Budres bumped me from my previous day's qualifying position to P4 to round out the front two rows. Dean had missed a shift on the start and allowed Elliot Finlayson and I to get a jump on the group. We were out to a good lead when I had my T6 mishap and allowed Dean to get by. I was able to gather it back up and back on track to hold third for the rest of the race. Elliot checked out with some consistently fast laps and Dean and I played a bit of cat and mouse until the checkers. Rhett Barkau joined us for several laps before dropping back. I had apparently appeared to be driving in a bit of red mist after filling my quota for off-road excursions for the race. Eventually once the tire temps came up, the car got better and I kept Dean within striking distance. I just couldn't close the gap.

A big thanks to Steve and the One Formula team for organizing the separate run group, the special trophies, and for the party on Friday night! I'm still waiting on my Mazda stickers, though! The One Formula tent was extremely busy all weekend so we didn't have much time to visit otherwise. The separate race group was extremely appreciated and was proven that it could be done in a normal format race weekend and what kind of negotiating power a class with large car counts can get. Hopefully future events will be able to back it up. FE is really gaining momentum in CenDiv and I couldn't be happier about it. Lots of new faces to the group which was really great to see for the first race of the season. 13 cars!! I hope it continues on!

Saturday's Race Podium
    Oppermann
    Barkau
    Sohn

Sunday's Race Podium
    Finlayson
    Oppermann
    Carter
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

38. The following 5 users liked this post:

Liked: 190

Default Great Weekend

First time for LMI to take care of an FE, Jim Dziewior's green/blue # 4.
    Have to say that it was a great experience. Steve and all the One Formula guys are fantastic!
    Real trackside support, parts and info. They played a huge part in making Jim's first outing a real success.
    I was always skeptical about the class/car, but I have to admit I was way wrong.
    Very solid car with minimal worries.
    Great competition in the series and our own run group!!!
    Thanks to everyone in the FE community that welcomed us into a great group of people.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

40. The following 3 users liked this post:

We had an absolute blast with close racing throughout. It definitely paid dividends to stay on the racing surface as we climbed from nearly last place to fourth on Sat. Sunday the game changed a little and 5th was about as good as we were going to get after we missed the the mark on tire pressures in the rear. One thing is for sure, I gotta stop qualifying 2 seconds slower than my race pace... Steve, thanks for an awesome time Friday night. The food, band, and camaraderie was top notch.

IMG_11381.jpg

Anyone have any pics of the group at the start of the race? Kind of a neat image with that many cars in our own group.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Carter View Post
    Anyone have any pics of the group at the start of the race? Kind of a neat image with that many cars in our own group.
    I second that! And if anybody has pics of the blue 39 FE I'd love to get a few pics of our car on track in the new scheme.

Contributing Member

Great class! Thank you very much to all the guys who helped us with our first weekend! One Formula, Steve and Matt were absolutely awesome as usual LMI was on their A game thanks Bill and Bruce!

We are excited to be a part of the class and look forward to many fun weekends. Great racing, great people and truly a class proud to be a part of!

Congrats to Finlayson, Oppermann & Carter! Those were some nice trophies.

See ya soon.

Jim Dziewior
    FE 4

45. The following members LIKED this post:

If I did this right, this is a picture of the band at their performance at the Ringling Theatre in Baraboo Saturday night.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Competition One Racing
    racer6@mchsi.com

47. The following 3 users liked this post:

Thread Information