Liked: 44

Default FVEE Ad Hoc Committee, still around?

I have not seen an e-mail from the Ad Hoc committee in quite some time. Is there a specific reason why these communications have stopped from the group? For many of us this was our primary source for new and updated information regarding the class.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 290

I would say that it was disbanded. Some members are now part of the the CRB FV sub committee. I would say the CRB activities are more secretive in nature.

Maybe the one of the sub committee's members can volunteer some news. How is the spec tire testing going?

Brian

Liked: 301

Steven Davis, who organized & ran the FV AdHoc Committee as well as its phone conferences, and was our primary voice for technical & committee information (and who also dispersed ALL information via e-mail & bulletin board updates, was not included in the formation of the new SCCA FV subcommittee.

I miss the info & updates also.
    Glenn

4. The following 2 users liked this post:

Glenn, would you happen to know who is on the current SCCA FVEE sub committee?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Contributing Member
    Liked: 83

The current FV Committee is made up of the following folks:

FV Committee Members:
    Dennis Andrade
    Mitchell Ferguson
    John Petillo
    Stephen Saslow
    Charlie Turner
    Al Varacins

FSCRB Committee Member
    Bill Johnson

John, thank you for sharing the requested info. Next question, does the committee have any updates regarding some of the hot topics surrounding the FVEE class they can share with active members of SCCA who race FVEE and have a vested interest in the class? If not; when can we look forward to some updates?

Thanks again,

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

My guess is...
    Now that it's an OFFICIAL committee (or SUB-committee), information can only be dispensed as SCCA allows...
    Probably only via Fast Track news & Tech Bulletins and no longer by real-time updates.
    Glenn

Liked: 830

FWIW, with the inception of the SCCA Official Committee, I have REQUESTED updates from 2 current committee members so that I could pass the information to the membership via the Registry. So far, I have yet to receive ANYTHING. I am quite disappointed at the lack of communication. So far as I know, there are NO "SCCA restrictions" on communicating with the membership.
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

10. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member

I think that it is a safe assumption that SCCA committees/boards do not generally volunteer information until after something has been approved. Just simpler to get thinks done with fewer people being involved. This is just simple committee dynamics at work.

I would say jpetillo was your best chance of learning about any discussions going on but note how open he was in the above post. I know he would love to share but the political restrictions of the committee's activities must prevent him form volunteering anything.

Just the way it is now. I do not recall how we got info about changes before the net. Probably we learned about new changes when the rule book was delivered each year.

Brian

Liked: 115

and people have wondered for years why the nickname is the Secret Car Club of America...

13. The following 4 users liked this post:

Thank you for clarifying, Steve.
    Unfortunately, it is now MORE than apparent the efforts you made to keep the Vee community informed and involved.
    Seems now that there's an "official" committee, the members will only be informed of the committee's decisions after they've been made...the difference between a Republic and a Democracy.
    Glenn

Contributing Member
    Liked: 480

Steve and the others spoiled us with monthly updates that some ripped apart. Sometimes you don't know what you had until you lose it.

Knowing the people on the current board, I am sure it is not their intention to keep us in the dark; now that they are official there is more negotiating that has to be done and pre-announcing a rule change that may not happen could throw the class into disarray (I was going to say a tizzy...yeah - most of us would have gotten that.)

My suggestion is that the current board start a new SCCA tradition, give a monthly report on letters received, topics up for discussion and status of rules proposals in the works. They cannot work for the FV class without including the class.

If we see 4 months of "FV Spec Tire - nothing new to report" then the members would have to get active. Nothing against the board - we need to support them as much as they do us.

ChrisZ

Contributing Member

1) You guys clearly do not have a good understanding of how the CRB generally operates. They almost always restrict their activities to requested rule changes. They are not designed to initiate or develop class changes on their own. Honda FF as an example.... that was Honda's idea not the CRB.

The FV sub-committee is just a method of gaining better insight for the CRB on a requested rule change. So generally the sub-committee is only working on requested rule changes (how many of those are their?) and not trying to determine the future of FV.

So the fact is that there is not going to be much for the sub-committee to tell you.

2) Review the names on the sub-committee. They were chosen by B Johnson. See if you can figure out the criteria for his choices... it is not that they are Majors competitors.

3) Ever see any of them at a Regional.. or maybe a Challenge Cup event? I think not. It seems like a decision has been made that it is better to let the National/Majors competitors call the shots and disregard the noise from the Regional competitors. Just too difficult to get the Regional competitors on the same page.

Brian
    Last edited by Hardingfv32; 03.14.17 at 2:01 PM.

Liked: 5

Default FV committee transparency

I would like to request that this committee’s notes be widely distributed. This forum has less subscribers than in the past. A lot has moved to social media because it is one-stop shopping (and login). Most people go to Facebook or Twitter to get information. Stevan Davis sends out a summary to the registry but unfortunately that list is not complete, and he is doing this on a volunteer basis (because he is a tireless champion for FV). I urge the committee to make every effort possible to disseminate information through all channels. (this forum only reaches a subset of the FV population...).

I also ask that the selection process for this committee be made transparent. When do members change? How often? What time of year? Who votes/nominates these people? There are no women on the committee or any sort of diversity.

aqualls Posts: 91Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:24 pm

Quote Originally Posted by adecheke View Post
    I would like to request that this committee’s notes be widely distributed. This forum has less subscribers than in the past. A lot has moved to social media because it is one-stop shopping (and login). Most people go to Facebook or Twitter to get information. Stevan Davis sends out a summary to the registry but unfortunately that list is not complete, and he is doing this on a volunteer basis (because he is a tireless champion for FV). I urge the committee to make every effort possible to disseminate information through all channels. (this forum only reaches a subset of the FV population...).

I also ask that the selection process for this committee be made transparent. When do members change? How often? What time of year? Who votes/nominates these people? There are no women on the committee or any sort of diversity.

aqualls Posts: 91Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:24 pm
    As far as I've seen, all discussions & updates are fairly-well published by SCCA and even more so here on ApexSpeed...PLUS Steve Davis goes above-and-beyond to make sure we're aware of what's happening.
    Any other concerns you may have need to be addressed directly to SCCA BoD & CRB.
    Glenn
    Last edited by pacratt; 01.29.18 at 10:58 AM.

Thread Information