Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Contributing Member Curtis Boggs's Avatar
    Liked: 0

Well,

Life throws us curves, .. .. Looks like I will not be able to make it up for the race.

My commitments here in the shop are just too great, ..
    too many heads to get done before the June Sprints, ..

The mad thrash continues, ..

One of the primary reasons I wanted to be there, .. I will say here, .. is I want to thank all the supporters and customers
    of RFD. You guys have made RFD and the transition from my old business a true joy.

Curtis
    RFD
    Racing Flow Development
    Simultaneous 5-axis CNC Porting
    http://www.raceflowdevelopment.com

Liked: 67

Any news from LRP?

Rand, are you still my HERO?!?

-Peter
    -Peter Krause
    1984 Tiga SC
    www.peterkrause.net
    "The Driver is the Greatest Performance Variable in the Racing Equation"

Contributing Member Mike Scanlan's Avatar
    Liked: 94

What a great day, Rand did a terrific job pulling this race off. 32 cars posted Qual times and as if it had been prearranged it started raining after 7 or 8 laps and several wrecks. The race was stopped, we all put rains on and went out and finished the full distance and Rand won in his Crossle on a wet, greasey track. I didn't get a result sheet, but do recall Treadway was second as the older cars came on strong in the rain. When it was dry it seemed that Bardwell and Leslie had the measure of the field, but both got caught out in the uphill when the rain started and DNF'd.

Liked: 7

Well the FF was a good race though I wish it would of been dry the whole time because as soon as it started to rain there were cars all over!

I took some pictures so follow the link below. I had to leave when cars were finishing up putting their rain tires on because it was already late and I had a 5.5 hour drive back to State College, PA ahead of me.

It was nice to meet the people that I did and for the people that I didn't I am sure I will later. I probably knew more people then I met, but I didn't know any faces. Still cool that I got to see many FF people and cars.

http://www.chrismore.com/graphics/FF...04/default.htm

-Chris
    Chris More
    Palo Alto, CA
    http://www.chrismore.com/

Liked: 96

Chris,
    Thanks for the excellent photos. I live less than 1.5 hours away (been done in 1 hour but that's another story ), but due to family commitments I could not go. Hope to see you & your car at LRP soon.
    "I love the smell of race fuel in the morning. It smells like victory!"
    Barry Wilcock
    Pit Crew: Tumenas Motorsports/Houndspeed, Fat Boy Racing

Contributing Member John Merriman's Avatar
    Liked: 61

A great big THANK YOU to Steve Nickless and RACER Magazine for sponsoring the 35th Anniversary FF Race complete with snacks, drinks and lunch during the Indy 500 broadcast on Sunday. Also, under Steve's direction, we lined up forty cars on the main straight for a photo shoot under bright, sunny skies - a huge contrast to Monday's sun/rain mix. Hey guys, get those subscription forms mailed in. We're looking forward to excellent coverage of the event in an upcoming issue.

[size="1"][ June 01, 2004, 07:19 PM: Message edited by: John Merriman ][/size]

Liked: 73

Wet and wild to say the least.
    Treadway and Rand put on a wet line clinic and I can tell you that Jeremy went by me so fast in the wet that I almost spun in the wake.
    The weather almost held out but alas, the rains came and caught out some fine cars.

Thanks to Mike and Racer magazine for putting this thing on. I had a great time.
    JD
    Zink Z10

It was an interesting weekend at LRP. With the great Indy party, with food and beverage to the funny conversation.
    The best thing was the track time and being out there with only Fords. I was thinking, how hard would it be to organize a race at some classic track every year highlighting FF's?
    I was suprised to see how many people hung around to see our race, considering the weather and time of day, we attract spectators! Any feedback?
    I had a great time. Thanks Mike and all who participated in the organization of this event.

To Dave Dexter who I've only met once, but seem to have a connection. (I did my drivers school in one of his Vikings), Get well soon! You have some good friends.

To Krista who grabbed the Hard-charger award, congrats.

Thanks for the education on the fast line around LRP in the rain. I was dusted by Mike and Jeremy as well. Cool to watch!

Sincerely,

Rob
    #3 NCF Crossle 45F
    Rob Weiner
    NCF #3

Racer Magazine Celebration of 35 Years of Formula Ford – Lime Rock Park – 31 May 2004

RESULTS – 25 laps – 8 Dry Laps – Declared Rain Race – Laps 9-25 – Total Time 55:06

POS-CLPos-Class–Driver–Car

1-1 FF David Dexter–Viking ( Honorary First Place awarded to David Dexter )
    2-1 FF Mike Rand&#8211 Crossle 30
    3-2 FF Jeremy Treadway Van Diemen RF80
    4-3 FF Don Drislane Reynard
    5-4 FF Steve Maxwell Swift
    6-5 FF Greg Morin VanD
    7-6 FF Jim Quaile Swift
    8-1 CF Rob Weiner Cros35
    9-7 FF Glenn Taylor PRS01
    10-8 FF Art Foster VanD
    11-2 CF JD King Z10
    12-3 CF Joe Marcinski ADF
    13-4 CF Ian Prout Cros32 - NCF Fast Lap 1:00.2
    14-9 FF Mike Scanlan VanD
    15-10 FF Frank DelVecchio VanD
    16-11 FF Krista Botsford Swift
    17-5 CF John Merriman Z16
    18-12 FF Todd McAfee Swift
    19-13 FF Bob Lutz Swift
    20-14 FF Rob Albani VanD
    21-6 CF Rich Droller Z16
    22-15 FF Steve Roux Royale
    23-16 FF Jon Woodbury VanD
    24-7 CF Greg Kokolus PRS
    25-8 FFBob Kawash VanD
    26-17 FF Ed Callow Bowman
    27-18 FF Ray Boyer VanD
    28-9 CF Don Denomme VanD
    29-19 FF Todd Bardwell Swift
    30-20 FF Richard Leslie VanD - FF Fast Lap 55.83
    31-21 FF Warren Kawash Z16
    32-22 FF Mark Cohen VanD
    33-23 FF Doug Hobby Swift
    34-10 CF Chris Dona Cros35 DNS
    35-11 CF Chuck VanNostrand Z10 DNS
    36-12 CF Rod Kendall Cros35 DNS

More news about this event to follow!

[size="1"][ June 04, 2004, 10:47 AM: Message edited by: John Merriman ][/size]

Contributing Member
    Liked: 302

Now all we have to do is convince Skip we should be part of the Memorial Day program every year.

Liked: 67

GOOO Dexter!

Good to see you at the front of the pack

Want to see you again, we're pulling for you!

-Peter Krause
    -Peter Krause
    1984 Tiga SC
    www.peterkrause.net
    "The Driver is the Greatest Performance Variable in the Racing Equation"

Sweeper (Rob):

Great finishing position at LRP this past weekend!! Is it time to move up to FC?

Brian

[size="1"][ June 01, 2004, 08:03 PM: Message edited by: BrianC ][/size]

Contributing Member

Thanks to Mike Rand for getting us FF's on the LRP program with such elite company as World Challenge. Thanks to the FF "dignataries" (Steve, Fred, Skip, et. al.) and their history of FF. At only 14 years in FF, I'm a relative babe compared to these guys. Wish I had been around in the good old days!

I can't think of a better person to receive the Jim Vail Memorial Trophy than Joe Stimola - Joe is what FF is all about and he shows his love for FF and its competitors in everything he does for us.

Wish we could have gotten the entire race in before the rain as I'm still learning my way around with this being only my second visit. But the consolation is that we got to put on a real show for the spectators that stuck around - they got to see the difference in dry and wet in just a few short minutes.

Sure wish we didn't have to wait until 2009 for the next anniversary get - together.

Bob Lutz
    DB-1 #54

In an effort to recognize a number of distinguished guests and their respective contributions to Formula Ford over the years, the following Special Awards were presented:

The Jim Vaill Memorial Award in memory of the founder of Lime Rock Park was given to JOE STIMOLA in recognition of his 35 years of participation in FF1600 and in appreciation of his continuing support of FF competitors at events throughout the northeast.

A Special Award was given to STEVE NICKLESS in honor of his great FF History - The Anatomy and Development of the Formula Ford Racecar - and in appreciation of his and RACER's support of this event. And likewise, a Special Award goes to longtime Formula Fordster Paul Pfanner of RACER Communications for his support and encouragement.

BRUCE MacINNES was recognized for his many Championship victories in the early years of Formula Ford and for his great work as Chief Instructor at the Skip Barber Racing School.

A Special Award was given to SKIP BARBER in honor of his National Championships in 1969 and 1970 and in recognition of continuing stewardship as owner of Lime Rock Park.

In addition, Awards are being sent to JAY IVEY in appreciation of his continuing efforts to develop and produce aftermarket parts for the Kent engine and to ROB HOWDEN of Formula Car Magazine for his efforts in publicizing the FF1600 class and its races.

After the event, three other Awards were made: To MIKE RAND for his tireless work in organizing this event and in negotiating with Lime Rock's Manager to get us squeezed into the crowded schedule of SPEED WORLD CHALLENGE races; longtime FF competitor FRANK DELVECCHIO received the "Cosmetic Excess Award" for the "marginal" aesthetic condition of his Van Diemen and last but not least, KRISTA BOTSFORD received the Paul Toriello Hard Charger Award for passing the most cars during the race in going from 31st to 15th place.

[size="1"][ June 03, 2004, 09:17 AM: Message edited by: John Merriman ][/size]

Contributing Member Mike Scanlan's Avatar
    Liked: 94

The Fast Lap for FF is incorrect. It was by Rich Leslie in :55.834 in lap #5, before the rain hit.

Contributing Member Don Denomme's Avatar
    Liked: 4

It was a great time. Wish I could have made it to the end, though I did make it to the photo area. (Second row up from the bottom on left.) I was one of the cars that spun when it started to rain. No real heavy damage, but enough nose and radiator mount damage to keep me from rejoining the field in the 15 min. time allowed. Watched it to the end. Was there for the 25th and planning to be at the 40th.

Thanks to everyone who was involved with the event.

Don Denomme
    Van Diemen RF80

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 492

Hi gang, lots of thank yous going around, I need to add a few names. Thanks to Dave Panas, our Operating Steward who did the right thing with the rain, time to change the cars for the conditions, and for letting us do what we knew would work regarding qualifying sessions etc and working with us to ensure a safe, fun event, Jan Poor our Registrar, Terri Roberts and Nancy Huber for the Timing & Scoring and results, Brian Jones, NER Tech maven who worked with us and Krista Botsford and Joe Stimola and Rick Hiland to get tech handled hassle free,Rick Pocock and Ed DeCortin for their efforts on the day to keep all informed of changes and developements, Michael Johnson and Skip Barber for seeing the appropriatness of our race on Memorial Day Weekend, Racer Magazine staff starting with one of the original California FF loonies Paul Pfanner, Steve Nickless, Rodney Wells and Paul --I'm embarrassed to say I can't remember his last name, L something....-- Graphics guy at Racer who did the logo for us,and most importantly the 35 FF racers who came and put on a great show.
    Oh, and my bride Tracy, who as ever endured the hours, late phone calls, and distraction if not silently--not her style--at least with understanding and good humor.
    I promise I had nothing to do with the weather, but will admit to not being real upset. I must admit if Jeremy Treadway had not made an uncharacteristic error I would have been a distant second. But he did, and at this age one must take advantage of any breaks that get thrown your way.
    I am sorry for the guys who took damaged cars home, the event would have been perfect if all starters went back on their trailers as complete as they came off, but that would hardly seem right for a Formula Ford race I suppose.....
    This is getting way to long winded, so just a huge thank you to those who have thanked me, and a sincere you are all welcome, it was a labor of love, I assure you. And in truth a bit motivated by my own selfishness, I am writing this from a hotel in California where I will be for the next few weeks thereby missing two events, a National and a Regional, at home, er, Lime Rock, and I wanted to race before July !!!
    So we have 5 years to do a real 40th Anniversary Festival, two or three days dedicated to Formula Ford in all it's permutations, 1600 historic, club, current, 2 liter, S2, etc etc.
    It'll happen, the wheels are already turning.
    The corrections have already been posted regarding the FF Fast Lap--Richard Leslie Jr, not Jim Quaile-- as well as recognition of various special awards.
    Thanks to John Merriman for creating some special and handsome awards that are sure to be treasured for years by the recipients.
    My personal most lasting memory? I think, right after that waving checker, is a speechless Joe Stimola. It seems water does flow uphill if Joe has no words !!!
    The last line goes to our great pal David Dexter---we all missed you buddy, get back on track soon.

Just wanted to let everyone know that Paul Tariello's whole family was at the FF event I think the award and presentations meant a lot to them. And, as Paul liked running in the rain, he probably would have enjoyed the whole mess of stopping to put on rain tires. From the hill, the race was a real "crowd pleaser." Congrats to all who ran and a huge thank you to Greg Rickes for spearheading the Tariello Award and to Mike Rand for the whole event. Kudos to Krista too!

Liked: 73

Is there a place on the 'net to find the official results?

Thanks
    JD
    Zink Z10

I realize now that I should have snapped more FF pictures - wouldn't have cost me nuthin'. (I did run out of battery just as the FF feature started however - grrr.) That said, here are a few from the weekend. Drop me a note if the link doesn't work, or if you'd like the original jpeg. I apologize, my capture of the group shots was marginal - can't wait to see the professional product (taken from the front end loader).

http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=uwzptqd...t&x=0&y=uopuun

What a great weekend, and what fantastic people! Glad to have gotten the opportunity to meet so many FF folk in one place.

Erik

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 492

JD,
    I don't lnow if anyone has posted official results, but John Merriman listed all a few posts ago. I can fax to you if you wish, though it'll take me a few days as all this working has me busy in California for a while.
    Email me a fax number and I'll make sure you get a results soon.
    Hey, this makes an even 100 posts about this topic. Yeah, FF is dying.........

Mike, it's a long way to California from the East Coast! ( no kidding!) I can fax the official results to anyone who needs them. Simply email me with your FAX number and I'll send it out tomorrow. I also have a full written report on the whole weekend in the works and can email that after it's reviewed and edited.

Oh and, uh, we ain't waiting another five years for another event like that. It's gonna be annual, baby!

Liked: 7

>Hey, this makes an even 100 posts about this topic. Yeah, FF is dying.........

It was so cool to see all the Formula Fords and meet all the people I've talked to online, but still a lot of work needs to be done to FF to keep it alive. You say it is not dying, but when I was standing around the FF with a huge smile I felt like the youngest there and I am 27. For it to stay alive we need to get young people into it. It is still a great type of race car and the race was really good. Someone needs to figure out the right ingrediant to get a younger crowd interested. You can't deny the thought that if everyone that is in it now eventually stops then there has to be younger people in it now.

Hmmmmm, it seems like the only way to attract younger people is to have subwoofers and bikini clad women strapped to the car.

Young people don't know what they are missing with FF... oh well... more to our enjoyment.

Chris
    Chris More
    Palo Alto, CA
    http://www.chrismore.com/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information