Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 492

While a few of the Northeast guys are aware of this event, this is the first "above the radar" announcement of it being finalized.
    The Memorial Day, traditionally one of the largest each season at Lime Rock, is having Busch North as the feature race on Saturday May 29. Monday May 31 will act as the rain date for the Busch cars as well as Speed World Challenge GT and Touring races, The Miata Pro Series, the second Formula BMW race of the weekend, and us.
    If there needs to be a Busch race on Monday due to rain on Saturday the schedule gets compressed some but we are quaranteed a minimum of 2 Qualifying sessions, a non-qualfiers race in the event the entry level requires it to transfer the top 2 from each class into the "feature", and a 25 lap race.
    We will be a one day event, qualify in the morning, non-qualifiers race around noon, feature either end of the day or right before the Busch race if it must run Monday.We will NOT be on track on Friday or Saturday, and the track would prefer that we help keep the paddock congestion down by not coming in until Saturday at the earliest. Basically we will be taking over the Zetec F2000 paddock space as they race Saturday, rain or shine, and then leave.
    The desire is to title this a 35th Anniversary race, one of many sure to be held around the country in '04, as well as being a round in the New England Challenge Series. We are working on a suitable Grand Marshal for at least the FF race, and possibly the whole days racing. At the least a name driver with a history in FF1600, possibly a past US FF National Champion, and as many FF past Nat Champs and luminaries as possible to attend. There is a remote possibility, if sponsorship can be arranged, for raw footage, known as a "line cut", to be purchased then a studio edited and voice overed tape produced
    It will be an SCCA sanctioned race, any SCCA eligible FF, CF[no tire restriction], or NCF [NCF Tire rule applies] is eligible. Drivers must be at least SCCA Regional License holders.
    The entry fee will be a minimum of $200.00 which will go to the promoter. As is common on "Pro" weekends, the tracktime is rarely free for support shows. It will be trophies [top 3 in the 3 classes] and bragging rights only, it is NOT a "Pro" race with a purse.
    This is the bare bones announcement so people can get it on their schedules, there will be information regarding schedule, entry, registration, parties, and assorted other details available in the next 30 days, hopefully.
    The hope is we can bring a full, quality field to this weekend to show off FF racing to a substantial crowd on a traditional start of summer race weekend.
    See you all there ! Mike Rand

OK, sorry for the poorly proofed post regarding the Memorial Day WEEKEND, actually Monday Memorial Day itself, FF race at Lime Rock. In checking the NEDIV schedule it appears there is no National, Regional, or even Drivers School that weekend, so no excuses to miss this event.
    It also seems it WILL be a part of the 2004 NEC Series. Get it on the calendar gang, it will be a good show.

Oh yeah, one more thing, for those not familiar with Lime Rock there is a Regional race scheduled for May 7-8. I do not know yet if we will be invited to the Tuesday May 25 Test Day and Media Day program, but I hope so. And if so, it would seem logical that we could leave rigs in the Paddock throughout the event. Which means registration at several different times rather than Sunday only, and full access for the entire event. If you have never seen the Busch North guys run at Lime Rock, well, it is interesting.

Liked: 0

Grat job Mike getting us in front of the biggest group of fans at LRP. If all goes well and I can drive you know I will. Problem is I have two Vikings and which one do I drive. What I need is someone to rent one of my Vikings for this show. Always fast and up front. Any takers. Contact me at PlaidmanDD@aol.com. DaD

Liked: 8

Hi Mike:
    Great job in pulling this together. I'll be trying my best to be there.
    According to the GCR, how many cars can you get on track at LRP?
    Best Wishes,

Greg Kokolus
    NCF#56

Greg, Hi, hope you are well. Regarding the number of starters, I am going to confuse you and everyone else, but here goes.
    Just for this example, if there are 50 entries, and of those 50, 50% are FF or 25 cars, 35% NCF or 18 cars, and 15% CF cars or 8 cars, YES THOSE ARE ROUNDED NUMBERS, BEAR WITH ME PEOPLE,then the fastest 50% of the 30 car field, or 15 cars, BASED ON A GRID OF 30 QUALIFIED STARTERS, WAIT, DON'T FREAK YET, the fastest 35% of 30, or 11 NCF, and 15% of 30, or 5 CF cars, for a field of 15 + 11 + 5=31. Then there is a non-qualifiers race for the 19 cars not yet qualified made up of 10 FF, 7 NCF, and 3 CF. The top 2 in each class transfer to the Feature along, another 6 cars, so we're at 37, with one promoters option and one hard luck transfer for a total grid of 39 which is just one over the "legal" limit of 25 per mile X 1.53=38. Confused ?
    At least all entrants get a race on the day, a lucky few have two races, and hopefully those who do not run the feature through natural selection [mechanicals, incidents, etc] still have a good event.
    More as soon as it is known. Or understood.

Contributing Member Don Denomme's Avatar
    Liked: 4

Sooo Mike. What you're saying is that I can qualify for the race if there is a full moon the night before the event and/or I give a full moon to the stewards prior to qualifying...but only if it falls on a Thursday. Sounds like fun either way. See you all there.

Don

Hi Mike:
    Thanks for the explanation.
    I'm going to put my dunce cap on and ask the question, if you know the "legal" limit of the track why not just cap the entry list at 38? The first 38 paid in full entrants recorded in order of receipt showup for Monday and are guaranteed 1 practice 1 qualifying and 1 25 lap race.
    It seems a lot simpler.
    Best Wishes,

Greg Kokolus
    NCF #56

Greg,
    Simplicity is way overrated. And the consi, or non-qualifiers race to get another 6 in, sometimes called a hooligan race in short track terms, and Lime Rock qualifies as a short track in the road racing world, might be the show of not just the weekend , but the season ! And as we will be positioning the event as the East Coast 35th Anniversary of FF, we want lots of cars and people there to build up the event. You'll be fine and all will have a grand time.

Liked: 553

Originally posted by Mike Rand:
    Greg,
    Simplicity is way overrated. And the consi, or non-qualifiers race to get another 6 in, sometimes called a hooligan race in short track terms, and Lime Rock qualifies as a short track in the road racing world, might be the show of not just the weekend , but the season!
    I would certainly agree. I don't have a FF or live anywhere near LRP, but I'm enjoying this thread. It sounds like it will be fantastic.

Mike, do you remember (I think you were around) the Busch North race where Butch Leitzinger had problems during qualifying in his Ford, had to start the consi from the back of a largish field, needing to finish in the top ten to participate in the feature? It was the most memorable race I've ever watched (We were hanging around waiting for our IT race later in the morning). Butch's team had spent all night changing engines (Another competitor team provided an engine, but it wasn't an easy swap because the Leitzingers had things like a Datsun alternator and accessories from their Datsun racing days). During the consi, Butch had all sorts of incidents and adventures, including a flat tire that sent him to the back AGAIN! There were several caution laps (not counting) that helped him (unless you consider the fact that his incidents contributed to them . IIRC, he passed the tenth place car in the last corner (the fast Downhill!) on the last lap for the last transfer position. He may have won the feature that afternoon. Not sure about that.

Maybe you should allow fendors on your fords for your consi race.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 5

Greg et al,

Mike Rand will vouch for this (and I'm dating myself terribly by admitting I remember!)...

When we (Joby Graham & I) started racing Formula Fords, more often than not the 38-car limit at Lime Rock would be exceeded for a regional - and they were all FFs!

Everyone would rush to the grid VERY early for qualifying because only the first 38 would be released on course; anyone arriving later would have to wait until someone either came into the pits or went off course for the session before the next car would be allowed on track. Alternates would line up at the back of the race grid in case (hopes?) one of the original 38 failed to show on time or couldn't start. At the end of the day, time permitting, a shortened distance consolation race would be held for any FF driver who did not compete earlier that day.

Reasons not to cap the entry: Drivers can't or don't show (and don't cancel - I've been a registrar too), and the car count usually drops when cars are lost during practice & qualifying. You know they want a good show for this event - and drivers want a full field of FFs, right?

Also, these days we sometimes forget that it IS called "qualifying" - meaning that one is supposed to perform well enough to make the cut, earning a position on the grid, and not expect to simply be granted a starting slot automatically. Or is that too "old school" of me for this day and age?

Hopefully we'll get our car back on track this season and see some of you out there.

Good Luck and Good Racing,
    Maureen
    Maureen Harris
    FF crew (Joby Graham)

To Russ McBride and Maureen Harris,
    Yes, yes, yes to all the above. I was the track manager from '92-98, responsible for bringing NASCAR to LRP, and that weekend with Butch was remarkable. But Russ, you actually needed to be in the top 2 in the consi to transfer, and Butch did it on the last lap. He did in fact go on to win the feature. He did win the LRP BGNN race three years straight. Bob Leitzinger had a count of the total number of on track passes Butch made that day, I wish I could remember the number, amazing.
    Maureen, if this doesn't get you guys fired up and get Jobys ride ready before August then nothing will. I was in FB/FAT at the time of FF's heyday, mid-70's,but have fond memories of the race to the grid, the frantic qualifying, the consis, all great stuff.
    Yes, a real old timey FF scramble. Let's go !!!! Just sorry it is so far away !

FF Racers,
    It appears that all FF1600 entrants will indeed be able to participate in Lime Rocks Tuesday open practice day, 1pm-6pm, on the Tuesday before Memorial day weekend, Tuesday May 25. Cost is unknown at this time. There is also a two day Regional scheduled for Friday-Saturday May 7-8 for those unfamiliar with the circuit. Moew details as they become known.......

Liked: 5

Mike et al,

Actually the May 7-8 date is a drivers' school on Thursday night-Friday and a NARRC regional race on Saturday. [FYI: This year that school/race weekend is a Mohawk-Hudson Region event, not New York Region, due to some schedule scramble that caused NYR to give up one of the only two race dates it has because Mo-Hud got squeezed out of their traditional (and only event) July 4th date.]

Maureen Harris
    NARRC PointsKeeper
    Maureen Harris
    FF crew (Joby Graham)

Thanks, Maureen, for the details regarding the May 7-8 Regional/School at Lime Rock a few weeks before the Memorial Day 35th Anniversary race. Lots of track time availble there for those unfamiliar with the track anyway.

Hi Mike:
    I was wondering if you had any thoughts as to how the test day might be handled?
    Would the Busch cars get the bulk of the time and the remainder divided up between the other groups?
    Best Wishes,

Greg Kokolus
    NCF#56

Greg,
    As far as I know we will have probably 3 20 or 30 minute sessions. Certainly the Busch cars will have the bulk of the time, maybe the FBMW and Zetec cars will run together. I don't know the rules for World Challenge regarding testing at tracks before events. More details as they become known.

Still looking for someone to rent one of my Vikings for this event. End of May will be here before you know it. Contact me at PlaidmanDD@aol.com

To Mike Rand:
    Elsewhere on the board, someone mentioned the 25th FF anniversary event at LRP and some sort of banquet that was held. Since we're not racing until Monday, have you given any thought to the possibility of a get together at the track Sunday afternoon for all the entrants in our class? I would imagine that most people should be in the paddock by then.
    Best Wishes,
    Greg Kokolus
    NCF #56

Greg,
    Absolutely, what with Indy on, and a quiet day on track, the hope, intent, is to have at the least some sort of social with the 500 available for viewing. I had a very constructive meeting with the track this last Wednesday and I hope to have the final details done in a week or so with entry forms, Supps, schedule, etc. It is all looking good, and falling into place as hoped.

Entry pack now available for "Racer Magazine's Celebration of 35 Years of Formula Ford presented by RedMist" at Lime Rock Park May 30-31, 2004.
    Sunday May 30 paddock load in, Racer Magazine hosted party with Indy 500 viewing, and general foolishness, Monday May 31 one day event, twoshort qualifying sessions, non-qualifiers race to transfer a few more into the 25 lap Feature, unload ready to go ! Tuesday May 25 LRP Open Test Day available to all FF,CF,NCF , 3 x 20 minute sessions for $150.00.
    Please email me to request the entry packet, it will not be available as an online entry but you can download, print, fill out, etc etc.
    As I am computer challenged please don't ask me to do any tricks. If someone has the knowledge,skill, and desire, feel free to post the entry for folks so they don't need to contact me directly.
    Thanks all, it'll be a fun event for everyone.
    Mike Rand

To those interested in the "Racer Magazine's Celebration of 35 Years of Formula Ford presented by RedMist" at Lime Rock on May 31st Memorial Day Monday please look at the post just above this and let me know if you need entry info via email. I have a pdf file I can send, a lengthy download on a dialup, if you email me directly and request it. Numbers are assigned on a first come-first served basis.
    Thanks to everyone or supporting this event, Racer will be hosting the Sunday party/Indy 500 show.
    If you are at an early season race at Summit Point, NHIS, Nelson Ledges, look for event missionaries, Mike Scanlan, Krista Botsford, Joe Stimola, Don Denomme, Rick Hiland, Bob Lutz,or Steve Robertson for paper entries.
    See you all soon, Mike Rand

OK gang,the Northeast racing season is well and truely underway. It sounds like the Summit Point National was, ah, interesting.
    If you are planning on entering the May 31 Memorial Day 35th anniversary FF race at Lime Rock, and need an entry, let me know, I can email or USPS the information. I have 15 entries to date with the event almost two months away so if you want to guarantee your number get an entry filed.
    Racer Magazine has created a logo just for this event, we intend to produce T-shirtds and decals available on that weekend. Collectors items for sure.
    Remember, all FF, CF [any tire], and NCF [NARRC tire rules] are welcome, National or Regional license [or Dual] acceptable, no novice permits accepted.
    Mike

Contributing Member

With the withdrawl of the Zetec cars, will the schedule now change?

Todd, good question. Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately, the answer is no. The F2000 races were Saturday events and those time slots are being filled, by the track, with another race. As we, FF1600, are a Monday only show, the Zetecs going away really doesn't impact us at all. Our schedule stays essentially unchanged, though subject to revision on short notice on the day depending on weather, Busch North racing on Saturday, and the phase of the moon.
    See you there, Mike

Liked: 235

This has already been posted separately but it seems appropriate to post it here too ....

In tribute to Paul Tariello, a dedicated and enthusiastic Formula Ford competitor who recently passed away at age 53, Mohawk Hudson Region is presenting the "Paul Tariello Hard-Charger Award" to the driver who improves his/her finishing position the most from their original slot on the starting grid at Lime Rock Park’s Formula Ford 35th Anniversary Race on Monday May 31,2004.

In addition to a trophy, donated by the Mohawk-Hudson Region of the SCCA, as a recognition of Paul’s pragmatic side we are seeking donations for a supplemental award. Since we don’t know how much we’ll be able to collect the specifics of this element are still being defined ---- among the possibilities are entry fee for the Mohawk-Hudson Region NARRC race at Lime Rock, tuition to an ICP suspension/setup seminar, etc.....

If you’d like to be part of this cause, please go to Hard Charger for the form and mailing information.

If everyone on this list donated 50 cents, we'd have plenty of funding to give the winner something really nice and further honor our friend Paul.
    Jim

I wish I understood everything I know.

Hi Folks,
    As May is all but here, and the entry deadline, at least for inclusion in the printed entry list for the event program, is 10 days away, a gentle prod to those who intend to come but have yet to post an entry. The entry is pushing 30 right now and I will be distributing and accepting entries at the May 8 Lime Rock Regional.
    The real reason for this post is to question those still not entered about class and tires. At this point I have only 3 CF, unrestricted tire, entries. Those three, Rand, Treadway, and Taylor, will happily run in FF unless there is a substantial boost in CF entries. I need to alert the track within a few days so they don't by trophies for a class which isn't gonna run. It makes the math lots easier if we only have FF and NCF but I wanted to give all an equal opportunity. So, let me know you CF soft tire guys, ok ? Thanks all, Mike Rand

Liked: 157

Mike,

Not sure what I filled in on my entry but would want to be a CF as well, not a NCF. I am running mostly NEC events this year and will be a CF at all of their events. Also have no problem being an FF on the 31st as long as Bob Lutz and NEC credit me as a CF.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 302

Mike, I vote for Rand, Tayor and Treadway to not be in FF.

To EAC III, yeah, well, people in hell vote for ice water.......
    To Steve Roux, just checked and you put down CF, my error, apologies.
    So CF is up to 4 entries, anyone else out there?
    Hey Bob Lutz, if we scrap CF, can the CF guys running as FF get CF points for the NEC if they say the magic word ?

Contributing Member John Merriman's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Mike, the Memorial Day race can run whatever classes make the most sense for that event. For any CF runner, the NEC points will be awarded as long as Bob Lutz is notified before the race starts.

While I'm on the line.....HEY guys, the entry deadline is fast approaching. We're looking for 60 FF1600 cars to make this race the greatest 35th Anniversary Race possible. The official historian of Formula Ford, Steve Nickless, will be rolling in from the Left Coast representing title sponsor RACER Magazine. We're hoping for a massive lineup of cars on the Main Straight for a group photo - to be published in RACER, SPORTSCAR and AUTOSPORT and we're still hoping for some video coverage. Stay tuned. What's our car count to date Mike?

Liked: 12

John...

FormulaCar Magazine will be there in force and we'll be providing full coverage of the event in the next available issue!

I'm really looking forward to it!

Rob Howden
    Editor / Publisher
    FormulaCar Magazine
    www.formulacarmag.com
    Take care,

Rob Howden
    519-223-1152

Rob,
    We are all really looking forward to having you at Lime Rock over Memorial Day weekend. So far the following past US FF National Champions are attending: Skip Barber, 1969 in a Caldwell & 1970 in a Tecno, Jim Harrell, 1971 - in a Doug Shierson owned Titan, and David Loring, 1978 in an Eagle. Some of the guys from the early days we expect are, in no particular order, Tom Davey, Frank DelVecchio, Fred Stevenson-Fred actually won the first ever FF race at Lime Rock on May 10, 1969, Bruce MacInnes, who says he is working on Dave Weitzenhof to come along as well, and hopefully many more. Of course Steve Nickless, author of every Formula Ford racers bible, The Anatomy and Development of the Formula Ford Race Car, will be there and who knows who else will appear.
    Should be great fun. See you here. Mike

Contributing Member John Merriman's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Rob, we look forward to seeing you at The Road Racing Center of the East. Please plan on a splendid lunch courtesy of Scuderia Fantastico and Red Mist/30Team30! That is, unless Mike Rand kills me for offering without checking with him first!!

Liked: 12

The more you guys talk about it, the better it sounds. And the offer of a kick-ass meal will always get my attention.

My ace photog Curtis Boggs will be there as well, but I think he may be looking to run his new VD so I may have to do most of the shooting myself.

Sounds like it's going to be a star-studded event!

RH - FCM
    Take care,

Rob Howden
    519-223-1152

Rental on my viking feel thru and still have one car available to rent would be real cool to have two Vikings on the track at once. When was the last time anyone saw that.

OK everyone, due to underwhelming interest we have scrapped the CF [unlimited tires] class from this event, all entered, Rand, Roux, Tayor, and Treadway are running as FF. Sorry Eddie.....Bob Lutz will award NEC points based on the double secret invisible CF class, it is pretty easy to find out who's NCF vs CF,no problem.
    I have proposed to Lime Rock that, as they don't need to do those 3 CF trophies, that they create The Jim Vaill Memorial Trophy. Criteria will be announced at Registration, and on this site, beforehand. For those who don't know, Jim Vaill is the man who built Lime Rock, from design and layout, bulldozing, changing the stream bed, etc etc in 1955-1957. He passed away April 20, 2004, 47 years to the day that drivers and cars first experienced Lime Rock, April 20, 1957. A true Yankee visionary and a great guy.
    So aside from 1st-2nd-3rd in FF and NCF Trophies, there is the Paul Tariello Hard Charger Award, The RedMist Fast Lap Award, the 30TEAM30 Cosmetic Excess Award, and the Jim Vaill memorial Trophy.

Liked: 25

Looks very good, Mike, but I think that an explanation is needed on the criteria for the "Cosmetic Excess Award!"
    - Frank C

Frank, and all entering the 35th Celebration at Lime Rock on May 31st, the 30TEAM30 Award for Cosmetic Excess is for, well, the judging panel doesn't seem to have defined the criteria quite yet. I suspect it will be for EITHER the prettiest, cleanest, most over prepared car OR the nastiest, dirtiest, most unprepared entry. One extreme or the other.
    And no, I am not at liberty to divulge the name[s] of the judging panel.

Man, this sounds like great fun. I sure wish I
    could be there. Unfortunately, I'm already signed
    up for a class that weekend. That's the way my
    life has been going lately...

If anyone does a video of the event, count me in
    for a copy.

Oh well,
    John

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information