Liked: 313

Default Titan Mk5 fuel cell

I am trying to figure out the fuel cell for my Titan Mk5. When I bought it, it came with this fuel cell, but I was told that it wasn't original. It fits too well to believe it wasn't made specifically for this car but it also doesn't clear the seat belt attachment eyelets and it is very crunchy. The manufactured date on the cell would also indicate it is after the car was built. Jim Baxter at Eagle said it would be very expensive to duplicate.

Ben Cooper has been helping, but it looks like he was able to get one of the Fuel Safe standard cells to fit his Mk5, but according to my measurements, those won't fit my car.

I made a mock-up of what I think I can fit in the car without getting too exotic with the shape. If you look at the side view, I put the dimensions on the mock-up. There is no room for the 4" longitudinal top surface in my car that either the standard FC150 or FC152 cells have.

My thinking is that someone sometime moved the seat back and had a custom fuel cell made to fit behind the new seat position. My options are then to return the seat to its forward position and put a in standard cell or go with a very custom cell and keep the seat where it is or go forward with the cell I have mocked-up and have a bit over 4 gallons capacity.

Anyone have any better solutions?

Big question: The one place I can get more capacity is to make the cell wider than the frame but still stay within the body. Is this allowable for vintage as long as its inside a metal container? I don't like the sound of that last option, but its not much different than the cell being inside a monocoque which has no frame anyhow.

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 4

Default Titan Cell

Dave,
    Looks like a Titan Mk6 cell. I can't remember for sure if the Mk5 cells had the legs or were just the wedge shape. Below is a contact email address for Aerotech in California. If anyone can rebuild your Marston cell they can, or they can build one. They can provide a quote.

Greg Lapinski
    Motor Sports Engineering

mike@aerotech.co

Liked: 313

It sounds like you think the Mk 6 did have the legs. That's new information to me.

Thanks for the reply.

Contributing Member Earley Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 432

Would the ATL FC 140 (4 gallon) work. I managed to fit one in my Lotus 61 which is small and tight. The 140 is only 8" high where the 150 is 9" high.
    Graham

Thread Information