Liked: 80

Default New floor pan/bulk head

Hello All,

I'm going to asked about drilling the holes for the rivets in the New floor pan/bulk head, so the already bulk head has the holes drill out and I'm guessing that this was the original bulk head panel because of the one set of holes for the rivets in the frame and I tried to match up the holes to my New bulk head panel and of course they don't match up, so my question is

How do you match the holes to the New panel to the old frame rivet holes?.

Spent a lot of time getting this panel just right and would want to jack this up or just drill a bunch of new holes in the frame.

Thank you for all your input

Ben

Late Braking Member
    Liked: 217

Default Strap duplicator...

If you have access to the panel edges, a strap duplicator works well. If you need to see a demo of using one, I can take a few pictures when I get home this evening.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SteveG View Post
    If you have access to the panel edges, a strap duplicator works well. If you need to see a demo of using one, I can take a few pictures when I get home this evening.

Steve
    That would be great Steve, thank you

Ben

Contributing Member Earley Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 433

If you have the old floor pan use it as a template. I just replaced the floor in my Merlyn but I used the mig welder and welded all the holes in the frame, ground them down, then drilled new holes.
    Graham

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Late Braking Member

Default youtube video...

Ben,

Found this youtube video for using the strap duplicator.
    Hope this helps.

Steve

7. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 29

The straps , called Strap Duplicators, can be found at Aircraft Spruce......Conrona CA and Peachtree City,Geogia. They have bushing type and inverted models. Look up p/n 12-01499 and go for there. www.aircraftspruce.com. Take a look also for the right rivets ...do not use Garden Variety rivets. Same with bonding agents.

9. The following 3 users liked this post:

This is great, I KNEW IT! I knew there was a way it's just when your unfamiliar with the ways of FF but this is great ordering up the tool today.

Thank you all for the help

Ben

Late Braking Member

Default Order at least 2 of them

Ben,

Having at least 2 duplicators per size makes the job much easier and quicker. Twice as many holes for the same amount of setup time.
    Also, if you don't have any Clecos, order a dozen and a set of pliers. After the first 2 holes are placed and drilled, you can put the c-clamps/vise-grips away.

Steve

Liked: 1403

Quote Originally Posted by Earley Motorsports View Post
    If you have the old floor pan use it as a template. I just replaced the floor in my Merlyn but I used the mig welder and welded all the holes in the frame, ground them down, then drilled new holes.
    I have had problems using an old belly pan as a drill pattern for a new pan. Especially with .065 thick aluminum pans, they would stretch and would not give an accurate drill pattern.

What I did to overcome this problem is to use a strap duplicator to locate a few holes along the various tubes that the pan attaches to. I would then use those holes to align the old belly pan and drill a group of holes. Follow that by moving to the next set of holes.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveG View Post
    Ben,

Having at least 2 duplicators per size makes the job much easier and quicker. Twice as many holes for the same amount of setup time.
    Also, if you don't have any Clecos, order a dozen and a set of pliers. After the first 2 holes are placed and drilled, you can put the c-clamps/vise-grips away.

Steve
    Yes they were relatively inexpensive so I got 3 duplicators and 4 Clecos and the tool so this should go quick, can't wait.

Ben

Liked: 1403

Quote Originally Posted by CM/FFdriver View Post
    Yes they were relatively inexpensive so I got 3 duplicators and 4 Clecos and the tool so this should go quick, can't wait.

Ben

Think about using a structural adhesive in addition to the rivets. The glue more than doubles the sheer strength of the riveted joint. Something like Hysol 9460

I probably use close to 20 Clecos.

15. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 95

Default Adhesive

Also a tip on the Hysol. When you receive it look at the expiry date on the tube please. It has a shelf life. Please do yourself a favor and look before mixing- only to find out it turns into a mess. Yes I have gotten expired and even called the mfg. and they said ahhhh.... no , unless you want to do it again. Believe me you would rather not. Also go and get youself even a cheap air riveter unless you want to have your hand fall off about halfway. Be careful w/the rivet ends. Don't know about your garbage man but mine is useless and IF he misses the edge guess what's at the end of your driveway and in your tire. Sometime my address is MURPHY on MURPHY LAW road. Just sayin....
    JIM (2006 GLC CFC Champion)

Liked: 30

Great thread Ben....

All these years of drilling holes and I never clued into Strap Locators.....

(and get a BUNCH of Cleco's in 1/16 and 3/16". You can never have enough and always end up losing a few every year or so.)

don

Yes-siree-bob, I've always kick myself spending a lot of time copying, recopying double checking my copy, rechecking my double check and still just getting it off by a little bit and after I transferred the pattern from the old bulk head and it was no where close, I had to consult the experts and Wallah! now I'm supper happy.

Thank you All again

Ben

Thread Information