Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Contributing Member Thomas Copeland's Avatar
    Liked: 165

Default New F1000 Championship

North American Formula 1000 Championship Announced for 2017

A new driver managed championship series for Formula 1000 race cars will be launched at Road Atlanta on March 10, 2017. The new series, called the NORTH AMERICAN FORMULA 1000 CHAMPIONSHIP, will consist of five double race weekends in conjunction with selected SCCA Majors Tour events. The championship will conclude in a championship finale at Indianapolis during the SCCA runoffs.

The Championship was organized by several Formula 1000 participants and is designed to be one managed by the drivers themselves. Driver input will determine how the championship rules are defined and the championship itself is run.

The Championship has already received commitments from several sponsors, including a major tire manufacturer (who is providing cash for prize money, and tires at discounted prices).

Entrants can register for the championship at no cost. In addition, marketing and media kits will be provided to all registered entrants.

North American Formula 1000 Championship cars are purpose-built high-performance Formula 1000 race cars and Formula 2000 converted race cars powered by 1000cc motorcycle engines, with top speeds in excess of 150 MPH.

2017 North American Formula 1000 Schedule
    March 10-12Road Atlanta, Braselton, Georgia
    April 14-16 VIR International Raceway, Danville, Virginal
    May 12-14 Pittsburgh International Race Complex, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    June 23-25 Watkins Glen International, Watkins Glen, New York
    July 21-23 New Jersey Motorsports Park, Millville, New Jersey
    Sept 29-Oct 1 Indianapolis Motor Speedway, Indianapolis, Indiana

2. The following 5 users liked this post:

Eventually everything will get posted under the championship name, but it takes some time after registering on ApexSpeed before getting posting rights.

While this is probably one of the worst kept secrets of the off-season we wanted and needed to get this out and make the announcement official. I am just one small part of this, helping out after being asked to contribute. The new championship is already well along in development and will definitely happen this year. There will be more posts as things develop.

Just a quick edit. it does appear we have commitments to see 10+ driver fields at all the events. To show my commitment I'm dusting off the old helmet and plan to be on the grid at Road Atlanta in a FB Galmer.

Last edited by Thomas Copeland; 01.24.17 at 4:55 PM.

4. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 1868

What?? No Jon Lewis involvement?

6. The following 2 users liked this post:

Who?

But seriously, it takes a lot to make me want to strap a race car back on or even want to get back in the mix. I was happily going about my life doing my own thing when I got the phone call. It was only after I saw how this was going to be a series for the drivers and by the drivers that I even decided to become involved.

Since the F1000 Pro Series and US Formula 1000 (not the Lewis series) were basically my ideas (I take no credit to what happened to them after I left) I thought I could help out.

Ultimately, it's going to be the competitors themselves that decide how successful this will be. It's their championship. This one is going to be owned and run by the drivers themselves. They call the shots. The race schedule was put together to best accommodate their needs.

But the fact we already have sponsors interested and involved says a lot about the potential of this becoming a success.

edited for typos
    Last edited by Thomas Copeland; 01.24.17 at 8:25 PM.

Liked: 799

So a no-cost-to-register east coast series, with sponsors!, is being organized by a guy in San Fransisco ?

It's being organized by several F1000 participants, some east coast based. 'm only one of several. I'm only posting this under my account because we it takes a few days after we registered the series with Apexspeed to be able to post.

I expect a few of the others involved to chime in here soon. Most of the F1000 drivers are already aware of who's involved in organizing the championship as they have been contacted.

Liked: 17

Hello all my name is Nick Mayer, Alex Mayer's dad . We are what I call hardcore racers. We were drawn into JL's F1000 Pro series
    Sounded good to good and so it was we drank the lemonade purchased a car loaded up and drove to Canada and than watched the series go to hell. Thanks to a few old F1000 guys they stood up and put a successful modest series back together these couple guys did a good job we all raced at some fun events. Unfortunately these guys just were over worked and eventually ran out of steam. I think we all owe them a big THANK YOU for the great racing opportunity they gave us.
    It is NOW time to move on and make this F1000 series Great Again (sorry had to get my Trump in)
    There is a group of us 1000 guys ( drives, owners and builders) that want this and are working hard to make this work. We looked back in history at what was good and bad for the series
    We know that there are a lot of sharp people in our group with good insight and listening to everyone and having all voting on the direction of the series will make our investment in our cars and in the series Stable and successful
    Stay tuned for more exciting information about the series and see you at the races
    Nick

11. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 29

Default North American F-1000 Championship

Hello Amigos,

My name is Jose Gerardo and I have been racing in FB since 2013, started in a Stohr, then an Alan Merten Designed Galmer G-15 that Thomas will be running this season and now finally a Jerry Hodges designed JDR, as a driver who has been in this class for four years I can tell you that I am proud of joining other fellow drivers, manufacturers and sponsors in this new Championship organization that will be strictly focused on you , the participant.

Soon there will be an official announcement of the sponsors and committed drivers and can tell you that having been involved with this group of individuals for the past two months in the organization of the championship gives me the confidence that this is the right direction to what is still considered one of the best racing formats in all of scca.

Please contribute with your questions and concerns as we bring ALL requests to the table and are eager to hear from all of you and what would you like the direction of the Championship to be, if you want to get involved then you are most welcome to do so, you just have to say so, and if you just want to race then that is fine too, we just want to see as many of you out there having fun and enjoying the opportunity to compete in these exciting machines of ours.

Best regards and get ready for some serious racing !!!!!!!
    Last edited by jose gerardo; 01.25.17 at 1:21 AM. Reason: Re phrase
    Step on the gas until you see the bright light..... THEN BRAKE HARD !

13. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 113

Default Finale at Runoffs?

I think that any open wheel series that promotes single class racing is a wonderful idea. My only question (concern?) is that the series finale is durning the Runoffs weekend. With all the hype regarding a massive car count and limited paddock space I do not know that I would be happy with the reduction of runoff participants or track time, due to the introduction of a PRO class. The fact that the SCCA already has too many classes to allow each their own individual practice, qualifying and possible a race, I do not understand why an additional run group would be considered for an already full schedule.

Understand, I am not against this series, quite the opposite, I only question a PRO series, any PRO series participating during the Runoffs. I think that the weekend before, like the SOLO people do (I think?) would be ok. I just do not want to see any more reduction of track time at the Runoffs than we currently have.

...again, just my 02 cents, as I hope that this series enjoys tremendous success durning its inaugural season.
    Chris Robson
    Accelerated Performance Coaching
    http://APCDriving.com

Liked: 348

I think you're misreading the way this will work. It won't be a separate pro class or race group. It will be run within the Runoffs FB class/group with no additional track time involved, no different than any of the other events the group is scheduled to run with. This has been done with any number of programs in the past, most notably FM and most recently FE.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Robson View Post
    I think that any open wheel series that promotes single class racing is a wonderful idea. My only question (concern?) is that the series finale is durning the Runoffs weekend. With all the hype regarding a massive car count and limited paddock space I do not know that I would be happy with the reduction of runoff participants or track time, due to the introduction of a PRO class. The fact that the SCCA already has too many classes to allow each their own individual practice, qualifying and possible a race, I do not understand why an additional run group would be considered for an already full schedule.

Understand, I am not against this series, quite the opposite, I only question a PRO series, any PRO series participating during the Runoffs. I think that the weekend before, like the SOLO people do (I think?) would be ok. I just do not want to see any more reduction of track time at the Runoffs than we currently have.

...again, just my 02 cents, as I hope that this series enjoys tremendous success durning its inaugural season.
    Peter Olivola
    (polivola@gmail.com)

16. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 113

Oh,...OK...

never mind...
    Chris Robson
    Accelerated Performance Coaching
    http://APCDriving.com

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

"I'll join that series if it's all the same to you, Mate"
    See you guys at Road Atlanta in the new and improved ZebStohr (unless it sells, in which case I will STILL be there in some kind of support capacity, and a gear bag in the motor home!)

GC

Default El Coop is Back !!!!!!!!

Looking forward dude !!!

20. The following members LIKED this post:

Hey Coop it'll be great to race with you again don't worry will always find a car for you somewhere
    See you in Atlanta buddy ????

Liked: 273

Default Copeland is back

It's awesome to see Thomas Copeland is back. Those that don't know Thomas, he was one of the original guys that put the F1000 Pro Series (west coast) together back in the infancy of F1000. Thomas is a true racer and his experience goes clear back to the 80's in F2000 in Canada as I recall.

Also special thanks to Jose Gerardo for spear heading this whole thing. Jose has been an ardent supporter of F1000 since he burst onto the scene out here on the West Coast.

Nice to see the Mayers back at it after an abrupt end to there runoffs last year. These dudes are all about being at the pointy end.

Thanks to Jerry Hodges for his persistence in moving all this forward. A driver run series that all the participants have a voice in.

I hope to have my new Gen4 Kawi powered 2017 Phoenix at one of the East Coast races and of course the runoffs at Indy.
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

23. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 35

Does Jerry Hodges ever sleep..?? Looking forward to some good races....
    Way to go Jerry , Nick ,Zane and Thomas. Who did I miss ?
    Scotty
    Est. 1990
    Taylor Race Engineering

25. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Terry Hanushek's Avatar
    Liked: 59

Thomas / Jose / Nick etc.

The prospect of having a F1000 Championship Series on the east coast is really exciting.

The South Jersey Region is excited that you have included our Jersey Devil US Majors event at NJMP on your schedule.

Please keep me in the loop and let us know what we can do to support the series.

Terry

South Jersey Region

Default New f1000 championship

Dear Terry,
    We will, our bew website is still under construction and we will publish the championship soon, right now we are focusing on the recruitment of sponsors , the website is www.naf1000.com
    There we will publish updates soon.

Best regards

Jose Gerardo

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Hanushek View Post
    Thomas / Jose / Nick etc.

The prospect of having a F1000 Championship Series on the east coast is really exciting.

The South Jersey Region is excited that you have included our Jersey Devil US Majors event at NJMP on your schedule.

Please keep me in the loop and let us know what we can do to support the series.

Terry

South Jersey Region
    Thank you Terry
    Having your support means s much to us
    Can't wait to come and race with you guys
    The hospitality of the South Jersey Region is amazing. We will keep you updated with our plans
    Thanks Nick

Default F1000 and American Racer

A American Racer Tire Becomes Presenting Sponsor for The North American
    Formula 1000 Championship

(February 2, 2017) – American Racer Tire has signed on to a three-year deal to become the presenting sponsor of The North American Formula 1000 Championship beginning in 2017.

American Racer Tire and The North American Formula 1000 Championship will provide a program of cash incentives and contingency awards for all North American Formula 1000 Championship events. The program provides for significant cash prizes as well as random tire giveaways at every race event beginning in 2017 and continuing throughout the 2018 and 2019 season. Further details of the awards program will be released later to all North American Formula 1000 championship competitors.

American Racer Tire located Indiana, Pennsylvania is a leading manufacturer of racing tires for many forms of racing from close-wheel stock and sport cars to open-wheel formula and sprint racing cars.

American Racer Tire was founded in 1915 as the McCreary Tire and Rubber Company and built a reputation for quality workmanship as it grew as a premium brand in the passenger and truck markets. In the 1960’s McCreary Tire and Rubber Company entered the race tire market where it became known for providing performance excellence at race tracks throughout the world. In 1992 McCreary Tire and Rubber Company became Specialty Tires of America and in 1994 the American Racer brand was introduced.

For additional information on American Racer Tire and its line of high performance racing tires, visit American Racer Tire at: http://www.americanraceronline.com/

For information on The North American Formula 1000 Championship visit us at:
    https://naf1000.com/

30. The following 2 users liked this post:

Stay tuned for more information on the series and new sponsors To be announced soon

Liked: 49

Nick,
    Will they be attending and providing support at the races?
    “THE EDGE, there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.”
    Hunter S Thompson

33. The following members LIKED this post:

YES, Brad Baythos from Primus will be at All of our races to provide delivery of tires and mounting and balancing

Liked: 18

Very happy to see the series being reinvigorated!!! Hope to be able to stop out at one of the races to say hi! Also looking forward to seeing how these tires hold up. IF they are anything like the FE compound drivers will have to look after their tires more during the race to make sure they don't get passed up at the end. Have you designated a tire size and width that every one needs to follow? This would help with the combination battle that is sure to take place at Indy. Have fun guys!!!

Liked: 279

Quote Originally Posted by Nick77 View Post
    YES, Brad Baythos from Primus will be at All of our races to provide delivery of tires and mounting and balancing
    Have sizes and compounds been finalized as yet? The web-site does not list any appropriate sizes. Is there any testing planned prior to the first event? Will any data be shared to assist in coming up with with a baseline set-up?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Oh, and BTW, big thanks to all who are working to put this whole thing together.
    Ciao,

Joel
    Piper DF-5 F1000

Quote Originally Posted by jchracer View Post
    Have sizes and compounds been finalized as yet? The web-site does not list any appropriate sizes. Is there any testing planned prior to the first event? Will any data be shared to assist in coming up with with a baseline set-up?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Oh, and BTW, big thanks to all who are working to put this whole thing together.
    Hi Joel
    Initial testing was done quite some time ago and the tire prove to be very competitive although we did request some changes in the tire and final testing will be in a couple weeks Atlanta
    The front tire 20.5/7.0-13
    The rear tire 22.0/8.0-13
    this tire is in no way any resemblance of the FE tire that is currently on the market this tire was built specifically for F 1000 and will be labeled as such
    All information that we get from testing and at the events will be shared with everyone this series is all about the drivers and teams
    Thank you for your interest
    Nick

Liked: 159

Default tires

The AR web site does not have the F1000 tire listed since it is an entirely new tire.....but is is very close in dia and width to the Hoosier we have been running.

First race is only 3 weeks away.....get your entries in!!

The new series is looking very exciting.

Jerry

Only 4 entries so far. That is likely not enough for me to invest in running a different tire. If we can get a better turnout, I welcome the switch to the AR tire. Who else in planning on racing at Road Atlanta? Please let everyone know so we can do some planning.
    Ciao,

Joel
    Piper DF-5 F1000

Default more entries on the way

I have spoken with several other drivers who have said they were coming:

Among them are:

Zane Gibbs
    Alex Mayer
    Michael Crowe
    Nick Ortiz
    Charles Livingston

Some others are on the fence.......so you guys need to talk to your friends in the class and encourage them to get to Atlanta for the first race. They will be happy they did!

Jerry

On the fence? This series is exactly what the class needs.....who could be on the fence? And who could pass up the awesomeness that is Road Atlanta?

Let us know who we are talking about so that we can collectively push them off the fence!
    Ciao,

Joel
    Piper DF-5 F1000

Default se conference hold outs

Joel.....you know the guys is the se conference. If I didn't list their names, a phone call from you might get them motivated.

I am told you know the fellow who owns the Astra. I do not have any contact info for him. Please send me his info.....and talk to him as well.

We are still updating our contact list.....so send me any contact info you have for the other F1000 guys too.

Thanks,

Jerry

Bill Falatick runs the Astra but rarely travels out of Florida.....he's a busy guy. I will ping him or Burky can try. Shane Prieto just had back surgery so he is doubtful. Don't know about the Area 81 guys but they should chime in. Pete Frost usually makes Road Atlanta but I haven't talked to him since Mid-Ohio. Am I missing anyone else?
    Ciao,

Joel
    Piper DF-5 F1000

Liked: 52

Default Registered

I'm in, although I'm not thrilled about being in run group 6 with a 3:30 start time on Sunday afternoon and an eight hour tow home. We always seem to get the shaft in the Southeast.

Quote Originally Posted by jchracer View Post
    Bill Falatick runs the Astra but rarely travels out of Florida.....he's a busy guy. I will ping him or Burky can try. Shane Prieto just had back surgery so he is doubtful. Don't know about the Area 81 guys but they should chime in. Pete Frost usually makes Road Atlanta but I haven't talked to him since Mid-Ohio. Am I missing anyone else?
    Tim Pierce - #81
    2018 JDR F-1000
    www.area81racing.com

Quote Originally Posted by Zcurves View Post
    I'm in, although I'm not thrilled about being in run group 6 with a 3:30 start time on Sunday afternoon and an eight hour tow home. We always seem to get the shaft in the Southeast.
    Glad you are going to make it and I'm with you on the group timing.....I've got a 10 hour tow. Sunday night / Monday morning is going to be hateful......but worth it!
    Ciao,

Joel
    Piper DF-5 F1000

Default looking good

This series is looking really good. Lots of interest from sponsors......which means real prize money....at every race! The way it is being set up everyone will take home some money.

Combine that with the reduced cost of tires, and competitors will save quite a bit on tire bills.

There will be a large driver championship fund for the final series race....which is the runoffs. To be eligible for driver championship prizes, one has to run 3 weekends in the series......and that will also meet the runoffs requirements too.....so if you are planning for the runoffs, running at least 3 series races makes a lot of sense.

Jerry

Jerry,

Can you provide us with contact information to reserve tires for Road Atlanta?
    Ciao,

Joel
    Piper DF-5 F1000

Default Contact for tires

Primus racing parts (Brad ).
    727-804-7417.

He will take them to the track, and will be there Thursday to mount tires well into the evening.

See you there!

Jerry

Default reminder

Just a reminder.......to be eligible for the prize money, you need to register for the series.

Go to NAF1000.com to register. There is also a link to register for the race.

Cone on guys......I know some of you are going who have not yet registered for the race or the series. Register now so others know too.

If you have questions, you can post them here....and get the info you need.

See you in Atlanta!

Jerry

50. The following members LIKED this post:

Default who's going to atlanta?

I know some of us register for races at the last minute (been there myself)......so who is going to the March 10-12 super tour at Road Atlanta?

The series is adding more sponsors every week......watch here and on naf1000.com for announcements.

Jerry Hodges
    JDR Race Cars
    636-399-7060

On way back from The American Tire test at Road Atlanta. Jose Garardo and Nick and Alex Mayer also there. Got some good feedback on tires dispite the limited time we had running at full speed. They are specifically designed for F1000 cars.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information