Thread: Height

Liked: 4

Default Height

Just wondering how many bigger drivers are in the group and if there were any recommendations regarding a car for a larger guy. I'm 6' 3" and over 200 lbs. and was wondering if I'd even fit in a FV or if I'd have to modify one. Thanks!

Liked: 67

I'm 5'11" and 230 on a good day and there are guys that are bigger then me who race.

I could make most vee's work for me but because of your height you may have to modify the roll bar on a car that you select. This seems like a major operation but if you bring the car to the right person it can be done in less time and for possibly less money then you think. I'm not sure how strong the fields are in FL but showing up to a race near you and talking to the vee drivers is the best bet to find out which car would be right for you. This will give you a real idea of what being in one is like and provide you with a good example of a frame that will/will not work for you.

Liked: 34

Quote Originally Posted by mysteriousracerx View Post
    Just wondering how many bigger drivers are in the group and if there were any recommendations regarding a car for a larger guy. I'm 6' 3" and over 200 lbs. and was wondering if I'd even fit in a FV or if I'd have to modify one. Thanks!
    Im 6'3", 220# and fit in my Protoform P3, Also, fit my dad's P2. I have also owned an early Mysterian and Zink Z18 (although I was only 6', 205# in the Zink 25 years ago.

Liked: 247

Citation, Vortech, Womer, all Protoforms and Caracel D's should fit without much modification. I'm 6'1" 200lbs and fit in all of the above.

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 313

You posted this is the FV section, but the title caught my eye.

I'm 6'9" and 215. I race a CFF. Yeah, I had to make some mods to my car, but not huge mods.

And I was once DQ'd (legitimately) for being 2 pounds underweight.

And I'm pretty competitive.

So it can be done but it may take a bit of extra work.

Liked: 2

I'm 6'3' 200 lbs I fit in a Predator, Wormer, BRD and Protoform. The best advise I would give you is to go to a race and ask the drivers if you can sit in their cars. That's what I did. All the drivers were more than happy to let me size up their cars and gave me great information about not only their cars but also racing in FV.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 17

Yes but/and…. at 6' 1" 165# I find that I can fit in most formula cars but my size 12 EE feet don't always fit well to work the pedals with ease.

Liked: 304

A lot is going to depend on your body. All height is not the same. The big problem trying cars at the track, unless it is someone's car that is also tall, the pedal placement, seat arrangement, etc. will not allow you to make an easy test.

I'm 6'4, about 215 with a normal body. I "fit" in a Citation with a bit of work, optimizing very inch, and sitting on the floorpan. I was very uncomfortable. The citation is built to the min wheelbase and I have since lengthened it. It feels much better, but I have been unable to get on track due to changes in my life. I hope this year sometime...

FV is certainly a challenge for taller people.

Liked: 530

Consider FE. Quite roomy, you'll fit and decent southeast competition

Classifieds Super License Matt Clark's Avatar
    Liked: 356

Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    Consider FE. Quite roomy, you'll fit and decent southeast competition
    quite a jump from starting out in FV to a FE.
    ~Matt Clark | RTJ-02 FV #92 | My YouTube Onboard Videos (helmet cam)

Liked: 304

I will add:

I know of a couple tall drivers, probably 6'3 that drive protoforms which may be a bit more roomy lengthwise. I've never sat in one so cannot say. Anyway, not impossible by any means. Other cars may be OK as well. A Citation may fit, all depends on your leg/torso ratio I think.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 480

Some info on Citations:

With the bellcrank steering there is no intrusion in the footwell, but the distance from the front bulkhead to the rear roll hoop might be less than in some cars.

The seat and fuel cell also affect how the drivers sits, I have put larger drivers in my car by taking the seat out, and I think the Citation has a pretty large cell compared to other cars. Careful aluminum work can make a comfortable floor to sit on. Remember, the bias bar is not too far away from the "family jewels".

The front roll hoop design is also a factor. My first Citation had a hoop that followed the body and the second, the hoop was more triangular and narrow. I do not know if this is a one off or not. The wider front hoop allows the legs to be pulled up in an angle and results in more room. If you put in a new front hoop, make it as tall as you can to help with the "broomstick" test.

The rear roll hoop is a little tricky to modify as it has the lugs for the rear supports mounted in the hoop and this is critical that they are located properly.

A great Citation to look at is Dan Grace Jr's which has some modifications for height and weight savings.

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76843

Chris

Liked: 301

Quote Originally Posted by FVRacer21 View Post
    The rear roll hoop is a little tricky to modify as it has the lugs for the rear supports mounted in the hoop and this is critical that they are located properly.
    Chris
    And if you DO consider raising the height of the main hoop, talk to the guys who built them - Larry Campbell or Steve Lathrop.
    Steve did a stellar job putting a taller hoop top on the main rollbar of my Z18B (almost identical to the current Citations) without interfering with mounting hardware, body fit, etc.
    Glenn

Liked: 296

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Clark View Post
    quite a jump from starting out in FV to a FE.
    Yeah, podiums in FE would be way easier.
    Chris Livengood, enjoying underpriced ferrous whizzy bits that I hacked out in my tool shed since 1999.

16. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 174

Quote Originally Posted by pacratt View Post
    And if you DO consider raising the height of the main hoop, talk to the guys who built them - Larry Campbell or Steve Lathrop.
    Steve did a stellar job putting a taller hoop top on the main rollbar of my Z18B (almost identical to the current Citations) without interfering with mounting hardware, body fit, etc.
    Glenn
    I believe Ed Womer also does rollbar and frame work and is located in Eastern Pennsylvania (?).

Mark

I haven't updated my profile for a bit. I'm actually in the VA Beach area now. Thanks for all the help!

Quote Originally Posted by Amon View Post
    I believe Ed Womer also does rollbar and frame work and is located in Eastern Pennsylvania (?).

Mark
    Ed is now in Duncannon... basically just north of Harrisburg.

I haven't updated my profile for a bit. I'm actually in the VA Beach area now. Thanks for all the help!
    How soon are you looking to get a car & what type of budget are you on?
    What do you think you want to do? Just race for fun, or go all in with Nationals?

Still need to go to a driving school and buy a car. Cheap is preferable. I might try to make a blog/video blog out of everything to give others an idea of what to expect when starting up.

Liked: 51

Default BRD for sale in Canada

Still need to go to a driving school and buy a car. Cheap is preferable. I might try to make a blog/video blog out of everything to give others an idea of what to expect when starting up.
    There's a BRD for sale that's competitive in Ontariofor something like $4500 on Apex. Bill Vallis just rebuilt the motor.

Cheapest is Challenge Cup. You have races close to you or you can do the world bucket list tours with us. You are welcome to come and spend a day at Toronto Motorsport Park testing my Mysterian and BRD's. The one BRD would easily fit someone taller then you.

Liked: 30

We fit a lot of different drivers, and there is no sugarcoating that at your size does limit your options. If you decide to buy a car, make sure it is one you can sit in before you buy. With tall drivers we have seen problems with more than just roll bar height. Depending on the car, problems with shoulder room, unsafe shoulder belt mounting points, shifting issues, and knees hitting the dash are not uncommon. We have fixed all these issues in the past, but none of these are typically "quick fixes".

If you do get a car, one note regarding driving school. The DC Region (relatively close to you) is offering their 2 day weekend driving school for just $199!

If you don't find a car in time, one option is you can get through school in one of ours.

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76994

Liked: 307

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Livengood View Post
    Yeah, podiums in FE would be way easier.
    And more expensive.

Liked: 23

I'm over 6 foot tall, 240 lb. with size 13 wide shoes. I race a Womer EV3. Lots of room for big feet.

Liked: 301

I'm 6'3", 220#, 35" inseam with size 12 flippers.
    And I've made a vintage Lynx-B comfortable.
    Anything is possible.
    Glenn

Thread Information