Liked: 49

Default Slipper clutch experiences?

I've been doing some searching and haven't seen much discussion on clutch upgrades - specifically slipper clutches. Rather than go the Geartronics route or other similar systems, I'm somewhat surprised not seeing more folks on slippers and an ignition cut module.

On my race bike, the slipper is a great asset and full throttle upshifts with a mere ignition cut works seamlessly. A slipper can be had for $500-1000 and a quickshifter (like the popular H&M unit) for a couple hundred more. Of course realizing that a motorcycle quickshifter won't work without some clever fixturing mods as we don't have a shift rod connected to the shift linkage.

Am I missing something here?

Liked: 80

Arax,

Simple ignition cuts work just fine for upshifts if that's all you need. My original Stohr DSR had a dinky little $5 microswitch wired into the coils that would cut the ignition for full-throttle upshifts, and was actuated by the shift lever. Worked fine.

Experience has taught most of us that the electric/electronic (e.g. press a button) bike kits don't work well on these cars, for a variety of reasons. They don't shift reliably enough, the solenoids, overheat, etc. etc. I've won a lot of races because somebody's flappy paddle system failed and my cable shifter didn't.

So, your best options are to go simple (cable-actuated shifter with an ignition cut, such as the Flatshifter setup, which I have and like), or go all out and spend the $ for the Geartronics. That's the only way it will have the 100% reliability you need to go racing with.

GSX-R's come with slipper clutches from the factory, though I believe it's only on the decel side. Doesn't seem to be an area where there's any performance to be gained, or you can bet that the engine builders would have been doing it by now.

-Jake

Liked: 91

Oops double post
    Last edited by TDI PILOT; 01.25.17 at 1:56 PM.

Liked: 91

Your engine most likely already has a slipper clutch from the factory. GSXR600 has had them since 2006 and maybe earlier. Not sure about the 1000 motors. The slipper clutch is designed to minimize engine braking when you let off the throttle at high RPM. This is advantageous for road racing motorcycles as without this feature the rear wheel would want to loose traction when the bike is bent over entering a corner after a long fast straight because it would have the entire torque/friction inertia of the engine to slow down.

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

The Ex-Slahor, currently Townsend Nova Dieman I drove in OZ had a flat shifter with ign cut, no blipper - it was wonderful, I'd say 2nd to the ultra plush Geartronics, at a much reduced cost.
    The slipper clutch as found in many of our engines is of zero advantage in an F1000 application - it's specifically designed to not upset the bike chassis on hard braking and multiple downshifts.
    In fact the stock clutch setup is quite robust.

GC

Liked: 83

While I do not run an FB I do use the 1ltr ZX10R Gen 3 in my P2(DSR); before the Gen 3 it was a Gen 1 and before that the 1990 ZX10.
    What is possible in the Gen 1 is to take out the slipper clutch disk, replace all the metal disks with the thinnest metal disk Kawasaki sells and add an extra metal and friction disk and still be within the stack height.
    Then just to make it all interesting put the gen 1 clutch and gen 1 oil pump drive gear into the Gen 3, it speeds up the oil pump giving more volume through the system.
    I do not use an ignition cut just breath the throttle and shift. I'm sure that an ignition cut will work faster and plan on putting one in soon.
    Not sure if the Gen 1 fits in the Gen 4 but the Ebay cost of a Gen 1 clutch is under $200 and the oil pump drive gear is about $25.

David

Liked: 49

Thanks for the tips guys. Flathshifter expert it is for me!

Doesn't look like there's too much US distributors

Liked: 3

Rill Tech is where I got mine. Give Richard a call, he's great to deal with.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Thread Information