Liked: 2

For Sale Zink/Citation FV for sale - SOLD

Zink/Citation conversion last run in 2003 on fresh SR Racing engine rebuild, and garage kept since. Comes with an extra long box transmission, 8 slotted and 4 solid rims, plus all SCCA logbooks. Note that there is no fuel cell in the car and all safety equipment is out of date. Located near Raleigh NC and need to sell, $1000 takes it all. Recent pictures

Car has been sold!
    Last edited by Garth; 01.20.17 at 1:56 PM. Reason: sold

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 942

Wow, what a steal!
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Liked: 1397

The car may have started life as a Z18 FV. I can't tell from the photos. The car has had a lot of tubing added. But it appears to have the suspension system very much inline with what would be standard 84 Citation. The body work is 84 Citation with modifications.

The roll bar has been modified as has the bracing over the top of the engine.

All in all, this is definitely priced right to either run as is or restore it to 84 Citation FV configuration.

Liked: 67

P/M sent consider it sold

Quote Originally Posted by S Lathrop View Post
    The car may have started life as a Z18 FV. I can't tell from the photos. The car has had a lot of tubing added. But it appears to have the suspension system very much inline with what would be standard 84 Citation. The body work is 84 Citation with modifications.

The roll bar has been modified as has the bracing over the top of the engine.

All in all, this is definitely priced right to either run as is or restore it to 84 Citation FV configuration.

Thanks for the input - I always felt stupid that I did not have a better understanding of the car's history. According to the logbook the car was first raced in 1979 as a "Zink Z4". It is not exactly clear when the conversion was done, but you are certainly right that the frame was significantly modified.

I have no clue as to what a Z4 would be. My bet is only Ed Zink could answer that question.

The 84 Citation was a revision of the Z18 FV. That was the last FV designed by Ed. The 84 Citation was the Z18 with a different body. Most of the Z18 were converted to the 84 Citation configuration. Given the dates in the log book, the car was most likely a Z18 that someone did their own revisions on.
    The original Zink Vee was the fifth race car Ed designed so it could be called the Z5.

Classifieds Super License Matt Clark's Avatar
    Liked: 355

darn cheap. would've been a great car to help a new gal from MD get started this year.
    ~Matt Clark | RTJ-02 FV #92 | My YouTube Onboard Videos (helmet cam)

Liked: 301

The 84 Citation was a revision of the Z18 FV.
    Steve,
    Wow...never thought I'd be correcting you on race car history, but...
    The Z18 was an update to the Z12.
    It was the Z18-B that was used to create the Citation.
    The Z18 & Z18-B chassis were nothing alike, which made the designated names a bit confusing.
    I had Ed's prototype Z18-B that was built for Wayne Moore to run at the '82 RunOffs.
    Steve, you built one simultaneously for DRE & Curtis Farley.
    I got all this info from you when you worked on mine (in 1986?) & from Butch Deere of DRE.
    My understanding (recollection) is that Z-5's were the C-4's built by Ed Zink while actual C-4's were from Steve Lathrop (Citation).
    This went WAY off from what the thread intended, but I believe I'm on the same path as Steve...
    Garth, I believe your car was a Z18-B that was converted to a Citation FV.
    I'd be very interested in knowing the names in the logbooks.
    Sorry, again, for turning this into a dissertation...but I do love VEE history...LOL
    Glenn Lange
    Last edited by pacratt; 01.16.17 at 11:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pacratt View Post
    Steve,
    Wow...never thought I'd be correcting you on race car history, but...
    The Z18 was an update to the Z12.
    Wrong. But not by much. The Z12 were first build in Charlotte and then in my shop.

The Z12 had 2 very different versions. We never changed the designation of the Z12. Wayne Moore's car was on original Z12 as was the car I owned which John Hogdal drove to second at the run offs.

The original version of the car was not much. It had a trailing arm that went forward and bent around the engine and pivoted just under the roll bar. The shocks were mounted on the roll bar bulkhead and went down to a bracket that was at the bend in the trailing arm. We tried a straight trailing arm and went back to 2 shocks and a Zee bar rear end setup, that did not work very well either. A customer in the North East grafted the rear setup from a D13 onto the back of one of the original Z12 while we were struggling with our modified setup. The D13 hybrid worked very well and Hodgal bought the D13 parts and did the same thing on his car.

John qualified for the run offs that year. I called Ed Zink and said that we were going to the run offs and I did not want to go there with D13 parts on our car. Ed drew the bell crank suspension system and I installed it on John's car. The run offs was the very first time we tried that setup on the track. It worked very well and John finished second.

That winter, Less Parker copied the modifications to Wayne Moore's car and Wayne did back to back championships with that car. Less also did the car for George Fizel and George did back to back championships.

The Z18 was designed by Ed Zink but was only built in my shop. The car originally had body work that was derived from the Zink Z16 FF. The Z18 B was the Z18 re-bodied with body work that was derived from the Z14 FSV. I changed the designation to 84 Citation when I further revised the car and did a second production run of the cars. From the dash hoop forward, all the cars are the same.

I think the car being advertised is a Z18 B. The lower frame rails under the engine look like the Z18 setup vs. the way I did it on the 84 Citation.

Some where in the list of Zink cars are several sports racers, a F440 and 4 different FSVs. And this is probably way more Zink history than any is interested in.

11. The following 2 users liked this post:

These are the pictures of the car from the first logbook. The first race entry was March of 1979 at Road Atlanta and the driver was Dennis Lee.
    Attached Images Attached Images

13. The following members LIKED this post:

I am going to suggest that the car is actually a one off that is largely inspired by Zinks of various origins. The current body being largely derived from the 84 Citation. The first version looks like the tail from a Z12 and the nose form a original Zink FV.

15. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 174

I agree with Steve as I have two sets of Z18 -B body work laying around and they don't
    look like anything in the photo's?

Mark

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/album.php?albumid=486

Just in case anyone wants to see my old Z18-B.
    Glenn

18. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 115

Default Z12

I had one of the first two built in 1976. Steve had the other one and I drove both of them that year. We didn't quite get it right that season and I moved on to FF -in a Z10 of course. My car ended up with George Fizell. George fixed it and won 2 championships with it. I saw it last at the 45th FV birthday party & it belonged to Eric Oseth.

John Gaither

Liked: 115

Steve and I had the first 2 Z12s. 1976. Rear suspension was not good. We struggled all year and I then moved up to FF. I sold the car to a man in south FL and eventually it got what it needed and ended up with George. I think Eric Oseth owns the car now - or at least he did at the FV 45th. A frustrating year for me. And Steve, I suspect.

John Gaither

Wrong. But not by much. The Z12 were first build in Charlotte and then in my shop.

The Z12 had 2 very different versions. We never changed the designation of the Z12. Wayne Moore's car was on original Z12 as was the car I owned which John Hogdal drove to second at the run offs.

The original version of the car was not much. It had a trailing arm that went forward and bent around the engine and pivoted just under the roll bar. The shocks were mounted on the roll bar bulkhead and went down to a bracket that was at the bend in the trailing arm. We tried a straight trailing arm and went back to 2 shocks and a Zee bar rear end setup, that did not work very well either. A customer in the North East grafted the rear setup from a D13 onto the back of one of the original Z12 while we were struggling with our modified setup. The D13 hybrid worked very well and Hodgal bought the D13 parts and did the same thing on his car.

John qualified for the run offs that year. I called Ed Zink and said that we were going to the run offs and I did not want to go there with D13 parts on our car. Ed drew the bell crank suspension system and I installed it on John's car. The run offs was the very first time we tried that setup on the track. It worked very well and John finished second.

That winter, Less Parker copied the modifications to Wayne Moore's car and Wayne did back to back championships with that car. Less also did the car for George Fizel and George did back to back championships.

The Z18 was designed by Ed Zink but was only built in my shop. The car originally had body work that was derived from the Zink Z16 FF. The Z18 B was the Z18 re-bodied with body work that was derived from the Z14 FSV. I changed the designation to 84 Citation when I further revised the car and did a second production run of the cars. From the dash hoop forward, all the cars are the same.

I think the car being advertised is a Z18 B. The lower frame rails under the engine look like the Z18 setup vs. the way I did it on the 84 Citation.

Some where in the list of Zink cars are several sports racers, a F440 and 4 different FSVs. And this is probably way more Zink history than any is interested in.

Liked: 174

Steve,

The rear trailing arms differ from those on the two Z-18B frames I have in my shop and look like a Citation conversion. The rear downloads supporting the engine / tranny look the same and I can't tell with main hoop as it's covered by the fire wall. The main roll hoop as also been extended as has one of mine.

Mark

The main frame rails are a major tell that it's not a real Citation.
    They look to be 1-1/2" or 2" wide.
    Citation main frame rails are 1" wide.
    Also, the removable rear braces should not go directly to the engine/bell housing bolts they should connect to a bracket that mounts between the top engine/bell housing bolts and the trapezoid.
    Also, the cross members under the front beam & below the front roll hoop should be 1"(horiz) x 3"(vert).

Glenn

P.S. This is all nit-picking on authenticity. It still looks like a decent, solid car. Congrads to the seller & buyer.

Liked: 0

Quote Originally Posted by pacratt View Post
    http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/album.php?albumid=486

Just in case anyone wants to see my old Z18-B.
    Glenn
    Hi, I believe I also owned the original z18b. I bought it from David Smith in Chicago area it was disassembled and painted purple. I only had it a couple years it was just too small for me. Raced it maybe 3 times with no success. Sold it back to David iin 84 I think.

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 854

Quote Originally Posted by haydavey View Post
    Hi, I believe I also owned the original z18b. I bought it from David Smith in Chicago area it was disassembled and painted purple. I only had it a couple years it was just too small for me. Raced it maybe 3 times with no success. Sold it back to David iin 84 I think.
    Yup, you're on the list on my unofficial Registry
    https://redroadracing.com/zinkregistry.php
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Quote Originally Posted by haydavey View Post
    That was my Z18-B !!
    I bought it from Smith in Sep. '84. Raced it '85-'87 then switched to a Caracal. Wished I still had that car.
    It's racing in the east/northeast now.
    Glenn
    '85 @ Road America

26. The following 3 users liked this post:

Default Same car same track.

[QUOTE=pacratt;662338]That was my Z18-B !!
    I bought it from Smith in Sep. '84. Raced it '85-'87 then switched to a Caracal. Wished I still had that car.
    It's racing in the east/northeast now.
    Glenn
    '85 @ Road America]
    Looks like we had the same car! A long time ago.

Sorry I haven't taken time to write out the history of Z18B-01.
    Maybe a phone call would be better (?)
    Here is a photo of what the car looks like now (or recently).

Okay...this was supposed to be a PM...and it went out here...sorry

I'm late to the game, but is it still for sale??

Thread Information