Liked: 101

Default Say Good Bye to Coronado Speedweek

San Diego FleetWeek Foundation is flat broke according to the San Diego Union Tribune, They sight The Coronado speed week as the event that broke the bank.
    For those of us that ran there year after year it was a blast !!!!!!!!!!!!

Liked: 942

Default Great experience

Sorry to hear they didn't make money. We certainly enjoyed going there to race and the company.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Liked: 799

Or this reason per SVRA website .... take your pick

"Notice was received that the Coronado Speed Festival at North Island Naval Base cannot take place in 2017. The Naval Base Coronado XO cited that due to ongoing runway/taxiway repairs and construction projects, the Naval Base Coronado would not be able to support the event.

Liked: 107

they honestly never seemed to want us there anyways. wouldn't surprise me if they did what they could to make it non-viable and just push the event away.
    BT29-24 Swift DB1 Matra M530

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

The reception you get at any military base is 100% dependent on the installation commander and the major tenant.

For San Diego, installations (roads and commodes) are run out of Navy Region SW, down at 23rd street. It's the biggest retirement home for ex O-6s in the DoD. The Aviation folks at North Island are "tenants", but if the event causes too much disruption to their operations, then they'll work with NRSW to make it hard. Security for instance, is run by NRSW.

When COs rotate, if the new guy doesn't like it (and to like it they really want to see participation in the event by enlisted military and families) then he'll just make it hard. If you can get through 2-3 years you'll get a new guy but have to turn around the stinkeye that the previous guy left behind. If there's a senior civilian or retired O-5/6 on the COs staff that doesn't like it you're screwed long-time.

I haven't been to the event since 1999, and I'm surprised it lasted this long. So either it's really runway construction or somebody pissed the navy off.

Liked: 126

I think Coronado has changed a bit over the years too!

Liked: 942

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner View Post
    The reception you get at any military base is 100% dependent on the installation commander and the major tenant.

For San Diego, installations (roads and commodes) are run out of Navy Region SW, down at 23rd street. It's the biggest retirement home for ex O-6s in the DoD. The Aviation folks at North Island are "tenants", but if the event causes too much disruption to their operations, then they'll work with NRSW to make it hard. Security for instance, is run by NRSW.

When COs rotate, if the new guy doesn't like it (and to like it they really want to see participation in the event by enlisted military and families) then he'll just make it hard. If you can get through 2-3 years you'll get a new guy but have to turn around the stinkeye that the previous guy left behind. If there's a senior civilian or retired O-5/6 on the COs staff that doesn't like it you're screwed long-time.

I haven't been to the event since 1999, and I'm surprised it lasted this long. So either it's really runway construction or somebody pissed the navy off.
    Interesting, we certainly didn't feel unwelcome in 2016. The base Commander hosted a really nice garden party for drivers, their significant others and base officers on Saturday evening.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

I have no comment on the reception you guys got or the quality of the event. it was just a statement as to what can happen to public events on military bases if things were once going well and all of a sudden it's not.

You and Fitfan seem to have different opinions, which doesn't surprise me. Big events always have people that have a great time and others that don't.

I'm leaning toward the runway excuse. The runways at China Lake were in terrible shape, we're going to be doing runway construction at all of the USMC airfields in NC. There's a lot of deferred maintenance out there after so many years of tight budgets.

Liked: 107

by "never seemed to want us there" i don't mean things like the catered reception, the invite to watch "rush" in the theater there. the "awards" hosted after, the airshows, and etc... have always been great. what i mean is the treatment of the event as a vintage racing event. it just seems they don't want cars going around a race track, don't want the liability, abuse folks that come to race, very politically marshaled irregardless of safety and or consistency. i do not know all the behind the door issues, although i know there are many, but as a participant, it deff. appears that the "base" twist the arm, and or inhibits the events ability to be run as a vintage race event. I've been to those organizers other events, and its a night and day 'treatment'. so I'm hesitant to lay the blame at the event organizers. which leaves the base.... not saying there is anything malicious going on - it very might simply be an awkward cultural fit. and neither understand each other and or has total different expectations. most events are run at race tracks, so the property owners understand what a race is. the base, isn't and i could imaging that they are completely clueless, as they would have virtually no exposure to this day to day. thats what i meant. they have always been very gracious hosts! it would be a shame for the event to die, as its about the only non-pro spectator event here.
    BT29-24 Swift DB1 Matra M530

Liked: 490

The Sanction bodies had some issues over the years. Some were communication issues. (such as you got your grid position moved back because you passed under the yellow but were not informed earlier) Sorry to see it go. Most of the military I talked to enjoyed it. It was nice to get a chance to interact with high ranking brass and the rank and file.
    Link to the S.D. Tribune article
    sandiegouniontribune.ca.newsmemory.com/publink.php?shareid=2fafc19b4
    Roland Johnson
    San Diego, Ca

Thread Information