Liked: 0

Default AIM SOlo/Smartycam in Radical SR-3

I'm thinking of swapping out my older data/camera setup & putting in a SoloDL & Smartycam HD to get synconized data/video and ECU a integration.

Any caveats to this setup or things to be aware of when installing these things?

Thanks much,

Rick
    Last edited by rfairwea; 12.26.16 at 8:11 AM.

Liked: 41

I think you would need the SoloDL for that.

What kind of telemetry does the Radical have? If you wanted more than the GPS estimated data from the Solo, you would have to make sure the system is AIM compatible.

If you wanted to use data from the ECU, looks like it's only possible on certain Suzuki engines.
    http://www.aim-sportline.com/eng/pro...its-suzuki.htm

Liked: 16

What year is your SR3? If you have a pista dash you can simply tap the smarty cam into it with one wire. I have this setup and I like it a lot. Here are a couple of videos. The first one shows the difference between the 120 degree and 84 degree lense options. The second one shows some track Time at Laguna Seca with the 120 degree lense. If you don't have a pista dash I would recommend contacting AIM to see how you can best tap into the Can bus on your car. Aim tech support is very helpful.

Charley

https://youtu.be/74CqiE5Ft5c

https://youtu.be/QPg-HLDIBHg

Quote Originally Posted by CharleyH View Post
    What year is your SR3? If you have a pista dash you can simply tap the smarty cam into it with one wire. I have this setup and I like it a lot. Here are a couple of videos. The first one shows the difference between the 120 degree and 84 degree lense options. The second one shows some track Time at Laguna Seca with the 120 degree lense. If you don't have a pista dash I would recommend contacting AIM to see how you can best tap into the Can bus on your car. Aim tech support is very helpful.

Charley

https://youtu.be/74CqiE5Ft5c

https://youtu.be/QPg-HLDIBHg
    Charlie,

This would be for the 2007 that my sons drive (it's got a Solo and GoPro now)...I need to validate what interface is on the car. I've got the Pista/SmartycamHD on my '11 but trying to bring my sons' car to a more modern setup.

Thanks much,

Rick

Contributing Member
    Liked: 101

First we would need to know what ECU you have. Then we can determine what connection is possible.

For a car like a Radical, I would not suggest the Solo DL because it does not accept any analog inputs. You will probably want to add steering position, brake pressure, and maybe more which would not be possible in with the Solo DL. I've people with a Radical really like the MXL2 (or the MXS would work well too) based on the size of the dash. You could also do an Evo4 with the G-Dash or if you wait a little bit you can do the Evo4s or Evo5 with the GS Dash.

With the dash logger/displays, you'll also get alarms lights and the shift lights. The alarm programming lets you take some of the mental power you use for watching the gauges and analyzing the engine health and shift it towards driving. While not a big thing, it helps people. You will also then start building your own database of the engine and drive train health.

Quote Originally Posted by romoman View Post
    First we would need to know what ECU you have. Then we can determine what connection is possible.

For a car like a Radical, I would not suggest the Solo DL because it does not accept any analog inputs. You will probably want to add steering position, brake pressure, and maybe more which would not be possible in with the Solo DL. I've people with a Radical really like the MXL2 (or the MXS would work well too) based on the size of the dash. You could also do an Evo4 with the G-Dash or if you wait a little bit you can do the Evo4s or Evo5 with the GS Dash.

With the dash logger/displays, you'll also get alarms lights and the shift lights. The alarm programming lets you take some of the mental power you use for watching the gauges and analyzing the engine health and shift it towards driving. While not a big thing, it helps people. You will also then start building your own database of the engine and drive train health.
    I'll validate the ECU. I think your ideas are suited for a competitive race car but my sons just use this for track days. I need to keep the budget down as much as reasonably possible which makes the Solo DL/cam option seem pretty attractive.

Thanks much,

Rick

Contributing Member
    Liked: 101

Quote Originally Posted by rfairwea View Post
    I'll validate the ECU. I think your ideas are suited for a competitive race car but my sons just use this for track days. I need to keep the budget down as much as reasonably possible which makes the Solo DL/cam option seem pretty attractive.

Thanks much,

Rick
    With the Solo DL, you can use Long G as a replacement for brake pressure and it will give you some great info to work on braking (where almost everyone has time to gain). Hopefully you'll get throttle position from the ECU. With that, you'll only be missing the steering channel, but you'll have plenty to learn with.

Thread Information